Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Coconut milk in coffee? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800122-coconut-milk-coffee.html)

avid 03-22-2013 05:17 PM

Coconut milk in coffee?

It seems there are alot of LCF's who put either hwc or coconut oil in their coffee. I'm wondering if there are folks who use coconut milk.
I'm looking for ways to cut back on dairy. I truly love the creaminess of HWC in my coffee, but if I can get a simliar texture from coconut milk, then maybe I'll give it a try.

Ntombi 03-22-2013 05:22 PM

Be careful if you do: different coconut milks have different carb counts.

picklepete 03-22-2013 06:59 PM

It's what I use. It's more appetizing if I give it a whirl with a stick blender first (especially if I'm adding any cinnamon/vanilla/cocoa).

unna 03-22-2013 11:34 PM

Try to use coconut milk from a can with the highest percentage of coconut (80-90%).

I open the can and put it in a jar with a tight lid. Every morning I pop the jar in the microwave for a minute, shake it good, then add it to my coffee. I enjoy the flavor very much.

buttoni 03-23-2013 04:30 AM

I prefer coconut cream (over the coconut milk) in coffee. It's much closer to real cream and has no sugar added. It's a little pricier, but I buy it by the case on-line and get a bit of a price break (over Natural Grocers off the shelf price locally). What I use is NOT to be confused with the creme of coconut used in mixed bar drinks, which is loaded with sugar.

avid 03-23-2013 06:18 AM

coconut cream oh my
who knew? this world of coconut delights grows daily.

moonmirror 03-23-2013 07:23 AM

Oh how funny, I just posted this same thing: wondering what to put in my coffee.

I used to really enjoy coconut milk with a little coconut oil and stevia. But the coconut milk I used would go bad too quickly in the refrigerator!

I've been drinking it black lately just because I've noticed problems with heavy dairy first thing in the morning, just doesn't "sit right" and I end up with too many calories at the end of the day.

Dottie 03-23-2013 07:26 AM

Pour a can of coconut milk into a container with a lid and refrigerate it. The fatty part will rise to the surface and become solid while the milky part will stay liquid at the bottom.
Use whichever you prefer in your coffee:)
If I'm skipping breakfast, I use the solid, fattier part.
The milky part is also good in sauces or to make "cream" soups, if you don't want it in your coffee (though I love the milky part in hot tea!) :)

picklepete 03-23-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16331758)
Pour a can of coconut milk into a container with a lid and refrigerate it.

Good idea. I typically use a can punch and wrap foil over it but it lasts 5-7 days tops.

avid 03-23-2013 07:09 PM

Pardon my ignorance but how do you know when coconut milk goes bad?

flappa1016 03-23-2013 09:02 PM

It gets moldy (I'm assuming you're talking about the type in the can - the stuff in the carton has a sell-by date).

unna 03-23-2013 10:59 PM

You should always transfer the coconut milk from the can to an air tight jar (canning jar) - which extends its shelf life to about a week.

August Moon 03-24-2013 02:26 PM

Yes...the cream or the milk from the can is best. And don't get the 'lite' one (not as 'creamy').

juliekaboolie 03-24-2013 05:25 PM

I use coconut milk and coconut oil in my coffee every morning to make myself a 'coconut latte'. I pour coconut milk in the bottom of my mug, heat for 30 secs (which creates some froth), add my oil, then pour coffee in and whip vigorously with a fork. You can use a frother, but I don't own one. It's delicious...but I'm thinking about adding in cinnamon or vanilla or cocoa like Pete does! Yum! Btw, I've gone completely dairy-free and have seen an amazing change in myself that I did not expect...my monthly weigh-in is Tuesday so I'll know what I've lost then.

Nanner 03-24-2013 07:08 PM

I tried a can yesterday, first time, and the top was very hard like lard, and about halfway through the can, it was like water at the bottom. I don't understand what you mean to open the can and put it in a container and that some will get milky? I'd like to also try this in my coffee. The carbs were low in the can I bought.

August Moon 03-24-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanner (Post 16334356)
I tried a can yesterday, first time, and the top was very hard like lard, and about halfway through the can, it was like water at the bottom. I don't understand what you mean to open the can and put it in a container and that some will get milky? I'd like to also try this in my coffee. The carbs were low in the can I bought.

You have to stir it down. In the full fat can of coconut product, the 'cream' separates and solidifies and you have to stir it. Actually, I see that Dottie and Moonmirror really explained it perfectly in their posts.

It is my preference to stir it, but you don't have to. If you prefer stirred, you might have to stir a bit each time you take it out of the fridge.

GME 03-24-2013 08:20 PM

I use the Whole Foods brand. They put a stabilizer in it to keep it from separating (carrageenan or something). I put it in a jar and add my sf syrup of choice and I have instant sf flavored creamer.

wicked 03-25-2013 04:57 AM

Google coconut cream concentrate. Best stuff in the world!!