Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #31
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I very clearly told my doctor I'm doing Atkins.

I have no reason to hide it, it's not up for debate, and part of the reason there's still such resistence to it in the medical community is that too many people aren't clear about what it is, and what it isn't. She shared her knee-jerk concern (kidney damage! ZOMG!!1!), and I shot it down with research. Then we moved on.
I feel the same. I told my doctor Atkins was my woe and I was not looking for approval. His comment was, "well isn't it really all about calorie in and calories out?" Hmmm, no.

The most recent visit we talked about my lipid panel and his comment was "it is fantastic!"
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 232 / 220 / 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: NK 10/27/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Scares me when a DOCTOR fails to appreciate the difference between benign dietary ketosis and ketoacidosis which is a life threatening condition that's pretty impossible to develop if you're not a type I diabetic.
Honestly, I'm not sure how to trust doctors at all. If they don't know basics like this, how do we trust them for other general diagnostic stuff?

First a confession:

Neither DH nor I have been to a doctor in 8 years. He's 61, I'm 58. We have good medical coverage (thankfully) and are (apparently) blessed with good health.

Now a rant:

I had been taking my 85 yo mother to regular annual appointments. First, every time they took her blood pressure, they had just had her "hop up on the examination table", and legs swinging while the med tech chatted away with mom. And they wondered why her blood pressure was slightly elevate (like 150/92). Then, they wanted her to come in every 3 months (although she is perfectly healthy and takes NO meds). She is 5 ft 2, and weighs 160 pounds. A doctor (weighing at least 300 pounds) tried to put her on a mediterranean diet for the cholesterol.

The final straw was when they tried to prescribe Crestor because her cholesterol levels were a little high. (Although by the standards of 1990, they were fine ... funny how Big Pharma managed to get the definition of "high cholesterol" changed) I really went off on the doctor. Asking him to review to recent studies related to women and statins. And an 85 Year old ... Really? His response was "I don't know why you come in here, if you're not going to take any of our advice". I responded "my thoughts exactly".
phurst_gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by phurst_gal View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure how to trust doctors at all. If they don't know basics like this, how do we trust them for other general diagnostic stuff?

First a confession:

Neither DH nor I have been to a doctor in 8 years. He's 61, I'm 58. We have good medical coverage (thankfully) and are (apparently) blessed with good health.

Now a rant:

I had been taking my 85 yo mother to regular annual appointments. First, every time they took her blood pressure, they had just had her "hop up on the examination table", and legs swinging while the med tech chatted away with mom. And they wondered why her blood pressure was slightly elevate (like 150/92). Then, they wanted her to come in every 3 months (although she is perfectly healthy and takes NO meds). She is 5 ft 2, and weighs 160 pounds. A doctor (weighing at least 300 pounds) tried to put her on a mediterranean diet for the cholesterol.

The final straw was when they tried to prescribe Crestor because her cholesterol levels were a little high. (Although by the standards of 1990, they were fine ... funny how Big Pharma managed to get the definition of "high cholesterol" changed) I really went off on the doctor. Asking him to review to recent studies related to women and statins. And an 85 Year old ... Really? His response was "I don't know why you come in here, if you're not going to take any of our advice". I responded "my thoughts exactly".
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #34

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I told my doctor I do low carb, but didn't mention Atkins because I don't follow Atkins 100% but pretty close. She said good but you need some carbs, and I said I do eat some carbs. I never mentioned how much and she never mentioned a specific number I should eat. I'm guessing she probably things I'm eating some whole wheat bread, but she didn't specifically ask and I didn't specifically tell her. If I could retain and explain some of the facts like many here I would be more specific, but since I know I can't I just don't discuss the specifics with her.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by phurst_gal View Post
And an 85 Year old ... Really? His response was "I don't know why you come in here, if you're not going to take any of our advice". I responded "my thoughts exactly".
lol!! That's awesome!
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
When I told my doctor I was doing LC she said, "But you have to eat carbs, your body needs them." I said, "No, I don't have to EAT carbs, my body can make what it needs."

She blinked a few times. Then, "Well how about some healthy vegetables, like carrots? Do you eat carrots?"

Me, "Carrots are one of the highest in sugar vegetables."

Her, "Yeah . . . you're right . . ."

Me, "I do eat celery and I snack on almonds."

That seemed to make her feel better and then she didn't ask anything more about it (probably because she didn't want to be schooled.)

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #37

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karerose View Post
I told my doctor I do low carb, but didn't mention Atkins because I don't follow Atkins 100% but pretty close. She said good but you need some carbs, and I said I do eat some carbs. I never mentioned how much and she never mentioned a specific number I should eat. I'm guessing she probably things I'm eating some whole wheat bread, but she didn't specifically ask and I didn't specifically tell her. If I could retain and explain some of the facts like many here I would be more specific, but since I know I can't I just don't discuss the specifics with her.
I'm quoting myself because I have an update. I originally discussed this with my doctor early last year or end of 2011. At that time I had lost about 60 lbs but had lost motivation to do anything but maintain what I had lost. I had probably only been maintaining for a few months. My cholesterol and triglyceride numbers were really good, however despite having done so good losing and was doing good at maintaining I found out I was a type 2 diabetic. That is why we actually had the discussion about low carb.

Then various medical issues happened, vacations, holidays, more medical issues including walking pneumonia and I have been eating pretty crappy for way too long. I didn't totally go back to my old ways, and just recently started to put on some weight. I took back control almost a month ago when I realized some of my clothes were too tight to wear. However, that didn't prevent the horrible blood tests results I got for my physical. My cholesterol/triglycerides numbers weren't good.

Now here is the good part. My doctor told me I had to do low carb and told me there was a book I really needed to read. I was very happy to hear her tell me to read Wheat Belly which she said she tells many of her patients to read. Love to see more and more doctors coming round.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karerose View Post
Now here is the good part. My doctor told me I had to do low carb and told me there was a book I really needed to read. I was very happy to hear her tell me to read Wheat Belly which she said she tells many of her patients to read. Love to see more and more doctors coming round.
That is awesome!!

You should suggest that she add Why We Get Fat for her to recommend with Wheat Belly. But if it has to be one or the other, Wheat Belly, I think, is the one. WWGF won't lead to being wheat free but Wheat Belly will lead to LC. That was the case for me. I read WWGF and started LC but from day one I was trying to figure out how to add back wheat products. When I read Wheat Belly a few weeks later and went wheat free everything clicked.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I've learned (the hard way) when talking about my WOE to anyone--especially medical professionals--to say "I've cut out all sugar and processed food . . .) Sometimes I add "and starches", but that's usually where I leave it. I don't discuss fat intake at all, and if they do, I say "yes, I'm trying to really limit polyunsaturated fats because I hear they are inflammatory. I use a lot of olive oil." I don't mention that I eat plenty of saturated fats too. My lipids are good, that's all they need to know.

And if they start going down the low fat pathway any more "And I've lost 60 lbs so far" usually heads them off at the pass. Hard to argue with that!

Most people stop with "I've cut out all sugar and processed food". Who can say that's a bad thing????

Last edited by Janknitz; 04-10-2013 at 12:06 PM..
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #40
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
I've learned (the hard way) when talking about my WOE to anyone--especially medical professionals--to say "I've cut out all sugar and processed food . . .) Sometimes I add "and starches", but that's usually where I leave it. I don't discuss fat intake at all, and if they do, I say "yes, I'm trying to really limit polyunsaturated fats because I hear they are inflammatory. I use a lot of olive oil." I don't mention that I eat plenty of saturated fats too. My lipids are good, that's all they need to know.

And if they start going down the low fat pathway any more "And I've lost 60 lbs so far" usually heads them off at the pass. Hard to argue with that!

Most people stop with "I've cut out all sugar and processed food". Who can say that's a bad thing????
That is pretty much what I say - cut sugar & processed foods.

I have to be careful what I say/discuss with my doctor. He can be useful for some things but he thinks a healthy diet snack is a banana. He thinks the fats we eat are the cause of high cholesterol & that TSH is the only test one ever needs for thyroid. And the list goes on. I bite my tongue often.

I keep him because he does allow me to have my own opinion - even though he thinks (and says!) he is always right because he is the doctor. lol...
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
What I find really really sad is that when my dog was diagnosed with cancer, the very first thing the vet told me was to put him on an all protein diet, and to cut out his carbs. She told me that cancer feeds on the carbs and sugar. However when I was diagnosed with cancer, they had me meet with the nutritionist, who discussed the typical low fat, high carb diet with me. It's really sad that I get better medical advice from my vet than from my Dr.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:

That's the smart way to do it. If I actually told people I seldom eat fruit or grain and that I add extra fat to my meals, I'd get read the riot act!

synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #43
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
What I find really really sad is that when my dog was diagnosed with cancer, the very first thing the vet told me was to put him on an all protein diet, and to cut out his carbs. She told me that cancer feeds on the carbs and sugar. However when I was diagnosed with cancer, they had me meet with the nutritionist, who discussed the typical low fat, high carb diet with me. It's really sad that I get better medical advice from my vet than from my Dr.
It truly is but at least you got good advice for your dog. My vet wants to push prescription food for my dogs because they have tartar/gum disease. I would be willing to bet that that food (and all kibble) is full of carbs that are likely the initial cause of the oral issues ....
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote