Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   cheese (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800109-cheese.html)

sweepthefloor 03-22-2013 12:37 PM

cheese

I have read that cheese makes weight loss stall. Why is that? Is it that way with everyone?

babycakez 03-22-2013 12:44 PM

Not with me unless I eat a bunch of it right before bed but otherwise no. I heard it happening to other people too and I never found out why. Watching..

kitcub 03-22-2013 12:44 PM

I've never had a problem with cheese, but I do try to limit myself to 2 oz a day.

Dottie 03-22-2013 12:47 PM

It's individual.
Keep in mind cheese is pretty calorie dense for a small amount (around 100 cals per ounce).
It's easy to over-do it.

Tashi 03-22-2013 12:53 PM

Thankfully cheese has never caused me to stall. I do limit how much I eat of it at a time and don't have it Every day simply because of the calories.

snowmop 03-22-2013 01:01 PM

Doesn't affect my maintenance at all, and I eat a lot. Seems to be a YMMV thing.

raindroproses 03-22-2013 03:30 PM

I think if I eat enough of it it'll cause me to stall, especially if I have a lot of other dairy products during the day (ranch dressing, sour cream, HWC, etc). I'm a bit lactose intolerant though, so I'm almost wondering if it's happening in people who have a slight intolerance to lactose? I don't get sick usually off of eating cheese or anything like that, but sit me down and give me regular milk and I'll be sicker than a dog all night :laugh:

jazills 03-22-2013 03:49 PM

Cheese was probably the reason I decided this lifestyle then I read about the health benefits of this WOE later. I knew a guy that lost a lot of weight and told me he eats a lot of meat and cheese. I said CHEESE?! What?! Losing weight?! So yea here I am! Cheese-a-holic. It never gives me problems unless I eat a lot and then it's a subject of calories.

ravenrose 03-22-2013 03:58 PM

I think it's probably the calories. of all the things on the induction list, cheese is the one that is most likely to trigger overeating when you aren't really hungry. some people can still lose with that, others can't. you will find out your own tolerance and they you'll know! good luck.

cfine 03-22-2013 04:05 PM

You can stall on cheese for the same reasons you can stall on nuts. 1/4cup mixed nuts=5net carbs and 200 calories. 1oz. Cheese =1net carb and 100 calories. Now compare 1cup broccoli=4 net carbs and 50 calories. Calories DO count depending on what else you are eating.

raindroproses 03-22-2013 04:31 PM

Well with me I know it's not a calorie issue since I'm usually right around 1400-1500 for the day which I think is pretty low for my weight... that's why I was wondering if there was a connection between lactose intolerance and stalling for some people. Nuts never do that to me, even if I eat them several times a day. Dairy at times does. But maybe it's just water weight from the terrible bloating LI causes in some people!

Ntombi 03-22-2013 05:32 PM

Cheese doesn't stall me, but I don't think I eat a ton of it. I eat about an ounce and a half of cheddar maybe 5 days a week (mostly with burgers and/or eggs), and probably a couple of tablespoons of cream cheese 3 times a week. I don't limit it on purpose, that's just what I end up feeling like eating.

My weight loss isn't affected either way.

Hot Tamale 03-22-2013 06:02 PM

I have said this on a few other threads, so forgive me, those of you who have read it before... One ounce of cheese can also have up to 10% of the salt you need for one day! How many people only eat one ounce of cheese? My point? Cheese does have a lot of calories for the amount you can eat, and it also has lots of salt. You may be retaining some water in addition to the calories if you're eating (too much) cheese...

tttmom 03-22-2013 06:16 PM

It could be caesin intolerance. During the process of making cheese, the enzymes eat up most of the lactose. So, the milk protein that's left (mostly) is caesin, and if you have a dairy intolerance, it could be either the lactose, the casein, or the whey, or all 3 milk proteins. If you are intolerant and you consume it, you may not feel sick, but there will be inflammation occurring in the gut, which in turn will probably stall weight loss.
I personally have to avoid all dairy. Not only does it make fat loss almost impossible for me, but it also makes me moody, depressed, and gives me acne. I love dairy but it hates me :( . The good thing is, after being off of it for a long time now, I don't even crave it anymore.

jazills 03-23-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Tamale (Post 16331152)
I have said this on a few other threads, so forgive me, those of you who have read it before... One ounce of cheese can also have up to 10% of the salt you need for one day! How many people only eat one ounce of cheese? My point? Cheese does have a lot of calories for the amount you can eat, and it also has lots of salt. You may be retaining some water in addition to the calories if you're eating (too much) cheese...

Interesting about salt. I was watching the news the other day and they said that cheese is one of the leading factors of death in the US due to salt intake related heart disease.

rubidoux 03-23-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazills (Post 16332028)
Interesting about salt. I was watching the news the other day and they said that cheese is one of the leading factors of death in the US due to salt intake related heart disease.

I have to say that this is completely freaking absurd! lol Maybe I have just really drunk the koolaid and can't see past it, but they really think that some salt, and the salt in cheese alone, no less, kills more people that all that carby goodness out there? IMO, pizza may kill people, but it ain't the cheese or it's salt.

ETA: Interesting bc you know they used to have us all convinced that cheese would kill us bc of the saturated fat. I think they've just got something against cheese. lol

And no, it doesn't stall me, but I'm not prone to binging on cheese. I only have eyes for carbs when I get insane.

marieze 03-23-2013 12:48 PM

Hasn't hurt me one bit and I eat cheese every day....the proof is in my numbers!!

Shrinkingviolet 03-23-2013 01:13 PM

It doesn't affect me at all, however my friend found it stalls her. She eats cream cheese but not hard cheese I think. So everyone is different I guess.

Hot Tamale 03-23-2013 03:59 PM

Exactly. Everyone is different. I never meant don't eat it.

Mrs S 03-23-2013 05:49 PM

Cheese doesn't affect me so far but I don't eat meat so that might make a difference.