LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs_Potato_Head
Stats: 467/450/143-154?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2 March 2013
OK, so Im back

Its been so long since I've been to these boards and what a journey its been. Long story short, I've been big since I was a child. And every year I just keep getting bigger. I've tried every diet known to humankind, including not dieting and it always ended the same way. I lose a bit of weight, or even a lot, and then one day I snap and binge until its all put on again plus more.

Watching my weight balloon scared me enough to approach my Dr for bariatric surgery and I have begun on that program. Since part of the program is seeing a psychiatrist every second week, I decided to take this chance and run with it. My way of thinking is this is it. I'm going to have as much help as I need and I may never get this chance again. And it occured to me that I should be using my past 30 years of dieting to my advantage. I am hoping to avoid surgery if I can but I also know what worked and what didn't before and reintroduce those things that worked and kicked the ones that didnt:

Worked: posting here daily, planning my meals weekly, having emergency snack food always around, having a carb clean house, meditating and working on emotional problems directly.

Didn't work: letting myself get hungry, becoming complacent, being on a diet mentality, forgetting that I am a carb addict.

So here I am ready to try again. And this time I am not going to forget that just like an alcoholic can not have 'just one drink', I can not have 'just one doughnut'. And I guess I also have to take it day by day, because I know I can kick carbs just for today.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 319/305/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 1/2/14 for yet another time
Welcome Back! I too have a long road ahead but so far it's a very smooth ride.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
back Mrs. Potato Head!!!

You have an excellent plan! I too am a carb addict and I too have to make daily, hourly.....choices about what I eat and drink. I can tell you that it gets so much easier as time and success adds up.

Support is so critical to my success and this forum has provided that in duplicate. I have also come across so much excellent information which has helped me understand and value what this woe is doing for me other than weight loss. This is really important in my opinion.

Here is my current way of thinking about my dietary choices. It is a case of 'trading' up. I will trade sugar and flour for steak, eggs, butter, cream, fatty fish, fabulous salad dressings, veggies cooked in olive oil and butter......and on and on ..... I will trade that any day to something that tastes like glue without 'doctoring' it with all kind of additives. Think about licking your finger and sticking it into a plain old bowl of flour and then eating said flour....YUCK...right?

Then there is sugar in it's many malevolent forms and disguises. Knowing without a doubt (everyone agrees on this one) that it is toxic to my body - well is suddenly doesn't seem very appealing.

I love being in control of my food rather than my food being in control of me and this way of eating allows that powerful tool. It is a fantastic thing!

Looking forward to hearing how you are doing!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #4

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/155 169.4 VFT!
WOE: Weight loss surgery (VSG) + Low Carb + Exercise
Start Date: 1998; Restart May 2007 @355; WLS March 2010
hello! I had weight loss surgery, and although I am VERY happy with my decision, I agree that it's best to use it as a last resort and see how just committing to a plan for a period of time and seeing how it goes first. I tried it all including medication for my hyperinsulinism and I was completely stalled for over a year.

One of the reasons it's a good idea to commit to a plan and see how it goes, is because once the honeymoon phase is over after WLS you STILL have to be diligent and stick to a good way of eating / way of life / exercise. I am three years out, and it's a struggle to keep my weight down!

That said, I am convinced I could not have done it without surgical alteration... and I know that because I TRIED

If you want to explore post WLS life, there is a board here I am an active participant in.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecBelle
Stats: 292.2/269.0/145 5ft4in
WOE: Induction
Start Date: Repeat Offender-Original Start 09/03/10
Hello!!! I'm a repeat offender who falls off the wagon with regularity. I just want to offer encouragement. You know what to do, so rock on!!!
BecBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
Welcome back. I struggled for two years with gaining weight while dieting. And I mean really committed to and following a plan. Scale just kept going up. Saw many doctors and low and behold, I was "normal". I finally gave up and said oh well. It was emotional and draining.

Then I decided I was not going to live my life this way and teach my kids it was ok to be overweight and unhealthy. I went to a bariatric surgeon and had gastric bypass in December 2012. Best.Decision.EVER. It was my last resort.

Happy to discuss my experience if you are interested. Either way, good luck on your journey.

Success is my only option
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
Welcome!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Welcome Mrs. Potato Head! You will find that whatever your choose, surgery or not that basing your diet on a LC plan is the best solution. Getting the help you need with emotional eating is a great start and eating LC will lower your impulses to binge. The foods that you can eat on a LC plan are readily available and satisfying. Kick the carbs to the curb and you will be ready to drop the weight. Get into the habit of looking at eating LC as a really good thing with wonderful foods rather than lamenting about the few carby foods you "can't" have. A positive outlook will really help. Good luck with your decision and LC journey.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
Welcome Mrs_Potato_head - It took me like 5 tries (at least) to get it right - but you know what - I never gave up and here I am in maintenance for over 5 months at a weight lower than my original goal. I have been living this livestyle for 15 months now and it is just my life. I decided this last time to just make it a way of living from day one, that was the difference my last time, not the mindset of if I can just make it through 2 weeks induction blah blah blah, it was hey this is just how I am going to live and if life happens at a meal (which fortunately has not happened yet) I will just keep going - I did have a snack attack of reeses peanut butter pumpkins happen at halloween and boy was I sick from 2 of those LOL - lessoned learned there, never again - but you can do this just like I can do this and people like Clackey who is my personal hero can do this and many other amazing people on this board.

It all starts with one meal and moves on to the next meal and so on

I wish you much health and happiness on your weightloss journey

Audrey
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Welcome back! Sounds like you have a good plan in place.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote