Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
Low fat... again. (What's a popular diet?)

It's always interesting to me to see the swings as far as what is getting mentioned in the mainstream media.

For a while, I was seeing quite a bit of positive press for approaches that would generally qualify as low carbohydrate eating - but I notice recently that the catchphrase "plant-based eating" is enjoying a huge surge, that "wholegrains" (why do they always pronounce that as if it's a single word?) are getting a big push, and that most search results for weight loss and health are tilted more toward low-fat.

I know this is generally the case, but it just seems like there's a measurable uptick recently!
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Dr. Mosley's 5:2 plan is getting a lot of attention right now-article in People magazine, been on GMA twice in the past few days and he's been doing radio interviews too. 5:2. is huge in the UK, where Dr. Mosley lives (he's a health documentary person for the BBC), and now it's getting a lot of attention in the states because his book, The Fast Diet, was just released over here. I think it's so cool that an IF plan is getting mainstream attention and hopefully this just the begining

Last edited by mom23kids; 03-22-2013 at 06:36 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
The media is always going to push low-fat and "healthywholegrains" because those food-like substances are where the money is. No corporation (aka media sponsor) is getting rich selling eggs, beef, and broccoli.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
The media is always going to push low-fat and "healthywholegrains" because those food-like substances are where the money is. No corporation (aka media sponsor) is getting rich selling eggs, beef, and broccoli.
Great point. They love to reduce nutrition to "increase X" and "decrease Y" because it's easy to print on ready-to-eat packages. The sales pitch is still "you don't have to cook".
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
So right on! I was thinking those very thoughts when I read the first post on this thread!

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
the era of low fat seems to be fading IMHO.....It seems to me that the current dietary "in thing" is gluten free.
It's very hip to be gluten free....I mean Miley Cyrus and Gywenth Paltrow are loudly singing the praises. Even Bill O'Reilly of fox news is on the band wagon.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I feel like taking a tub of sour cream out to my front lawn to dip dandelion leaves in.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I feel like taking a tub of sour cream out to my front lawn to dip dandelion leaves in.
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
Great point. They love to reduce nutrition to "increase X" and "decrease Y" because it's easy to print on ready-to-eat packages. The sales pitch is still "you don't have to cook".
And, that's the same thing that the Atkins co is doing now with their frozen meals, which is a shame.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 03-22-2013 at 03:40 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I also feel like the medical community largely promotes these low fat "wholegrain" diets too because the misinformation is making them tons of money... you see it with medical treatments too, which is why they don't TRULY want to "cure" cancer. They like to "treat" it because it's more lucrative for them. Sad, but true.

That's not to say that there aren't good doctors out there and people who are speaking out in favor of REAL healthy eating of course... but sadly they're either not the majority, or they're not in positions of power high enough to where people will listen or hear much about it.

Frankenfoods are in a huge upswing because they can be processed so heavily that they can be molded to fit almost any "diet" someone might be trying to follow. Until healthcare professionals stop giving out bad advice and become better informed themselves, the trend will (sadly) more than likely continue

And I agree about the Atkins products, yikes! Maybe they're okay for some people, but my body just couldn't handle them
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote