Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Low fat... again. (What's a popular diet?) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800089-low-fat-again-whats-popular-diet.html)

Yellobrix 03-22-2013 06:26 AM

Low fat... again. (What's a popular diet?)

It's always interesting to me to see the swings as far as what is getting mentioned in the mainstream media.

For a while, I was seeing quite a bit of positive press for approaches that would generally qualify as low carbohydrate eating - but I notice recently that the catchphrase "plant-based eating" is enjoying a huge surge, that "wholegrains" (why do they always pronounce that as if it's a single word?) are getting a big push, and that most search results for weight loss and health are tilted more toward low-fat.

I know this is generally the case, but it just seems like there's a measurable uptick recently!

mom23kids 03-22-2013 06:34 AM

Dr. Mosley's 5:2 plan is getting a lot of attention right now-article in People magazine, been on GMA twice in the past few days and he's been doing radio interviews too. 5:2. is huge in the UK, where Dr. Mosley lives (he's a health documentary person for the BBC), and now it's getting a lot of attention in the states because his book, The Fast Diet, was just released over here. I think it's so cool that an IF plan is getting mainstream attention and hopefully this just the begining :)

Knittering 03-22-2013 06:43 AM

The media is always going to push low-fat and "healthywholegrains" because those food-like substances are where the money is. No corporation (aka media sponsor) is getting rich selling eggs, beef, and broccoli.

picklepete 03-22-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 16329935)
The media is always going to push low-fat and "healthywholegrains" because those food-like substances are where the money is. No corporation (aka media sponsor) is getting rich selling eggs, beef, and broccoli.

Great point. They love to reduce nutrition to "increase X" and "decrease Y" because it's easy to print on ready-to-eat packages. The sales pitch is still "you don't have to cook".

Sharss 03-22-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 16329935)

:goodpost: So right on! I was thinking those very thoughts when I read the first post on this thread!

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
:heart:

avid 03-22-2013 12:43 PM

the era of low fat seems to be fading IMHO.....It seems to me that the current dietary "in thing" is gluten free.
It's very hip to be gluten free....I mean Miley Cyrus and Gywenth Paltrow are loudly singing the praises. Even Bill O'Reilly of fox news is on the band wagon. :jumpjoy:

Punkin 03-22-2013 01:18 PM

I feel like taking a tub of sour cream out to my front lawn to dip dandelion leaves in.

mamabear6 03-22-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16330703)
I feel like taking a tub of sour cream out to my front lawn to dip dandelion leaves in.

:hyst::hyst::hyst:

nolcjunk 03-22-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklepete (Post 16330177)
Great point. They love to reduce nutrition to "increase X" and "decrease Y" because it's easy to print on ready-to-eat packages. The sales pitch is still "you don't have to cook".

And, that's the same thing that the Atkins co is doing now with their frozen meals, which is a shame.

raindroproses 03-22-2013 03:39 PM

I also feel like the medical community largely promotes these low fat "wholegrain" diets too because the misinformation is making them tons of money... you see it with medical treatments too, which is why they don't TRULY want to "cure" cancer. They like to "treat" it because it's more lucrative for them. Sad, but true.

That's not to say that there aren't good doctors out there and people who are speaking out in favor of REAL healthy eating of course... but sadly they're either not the majority, or they're not in positions of power high enough to where people will listen or hear much about it.

Frankenfoods are in a huge upswing because they can be processed so heavily that they can be molded to fit almost any "diet" someone might be trying to follow. Until healthcare professionals stop giving out bad advice and become better informed themselves, the trend will (sadly) more than likely continue :dunno:

And I agree about the Atkins products, yikes! Maybe they're okay for some people, but my body just couldn't handle them :annoyed: