LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spudnut
Stats: CANT BEAR TO WRITE IT DOWN
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JAN/20/09
Feeling embarrassed once again!

When I logged on a little note popped up and said you haven't been here in awhile why don't you give some advice or ask a question?
My response is this is probably the fourth time I've restarted. I can't explain why I start off so positive lose pretty darn fast then just blow it.
I don't expect sympathy but if you have a long leg and a big boot, maybe a good swift kick in my big fat behind is what I need.
So red faced I will attempt again and thanks for all the awesome posts very interesting reading
Spud nut
spudnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnut View Post
My response is this is probably the fourth time I've restarted. I can't explain why I start off so positive lose pretty darn fast then just blow it.
First of all, I don't think you should be embarrassed about trying. It takes a tremendous amount of strength to try again!

I'm no expert but, from what I've observed, I think I can understand why people who are able to lose pounds quickly can sometimes get sidetracked and end up falling off plan. For example, if you lost a pound every day of the first two weeks of induction and lost +/- 20 pounds during the first month, you know that you can *quickly* take the pounds off so it seems to me like there's less pressure to get into the mindset of long-term waiting and working and staying patient with the process of the diet. When people experience a relatively fast rate of losing pounds, it seems to me like there's always "tomorrow" -- you can have a piece of cake this weekend and just lose it when you start again "tomorrow" because you know that the pounds you've put back on from the indulgence can come off quickly. Unfortunately, a lot of people -- not just you -- don't get right back on plan after the weekend indulgence is over. There's always "tomorrow" -- they've lost the pounds before and they know they can do it again whenever they want. There's less pressure to do today what you can easily do "tomorrow."

I started Atkins last May and I've been lurking on the forum since the month before I started. And I've seen a lot of people do really REALLY well and then give in to temptation at a party or on vacation or whatever and then say they're going to get back on plan after the weekend and then they just disappear. It seems to me that cutting carbs works so well with regard to fast pound losses that it gives the dieter a different set of mental challenges to deal with. I think it becomes more difficult to focus on the long-term commitment aspect of the diet when the *magic* of the diet makes it feel like success is more than achievable, it feels inevitable.

And I think that's where temptation can dig it's claws in -- why not have this treat today, when you can just be more strict "tomorrow?" I think it's hard to beat the mind game, even if you genuinely like the diet and find that the diet is working well for you. It seems to me that it becomes easy to feel like the diet is "all or nothing" when you're either losing a pound a day eating butter in your coffee or gaining 5 pounds overnight from breaking down and eating a taco. I think it's really difficult, as a rational/irrational human, to maintain perspective in that situation.

This may not be true of you -- and it may not be true, in general -- it's just my random observation. So please take it with a large grain of salt...

Just don't quit this time! At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you did before. The only thing that counts, from this point forward, is keeping your commitment to yourself. Just get up every day and do the work you have to do to take care of yourself. With regard to losing excess fat, nobody else can do that work for you. And no diet can magically do it for you unless you keep putting in the work. I know that sounds corny but it's true.

Good luck!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012

I have started over many times. It takes diligence and hard work, but if you work the plan it will work for you!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 248/238.4/140
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting July 2014
I'm guilty of stopping and starting too, I think a lot of people are, there's no reason to be embarrassed about it at least you have courage and motivation to keep trying and not throw in the towel completely it's human nature anyway, I gave up telling myself off about it and decided to be kind to myself instead, I want to lose weight but I want to live too keep at it, you're doing great
Shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Don't be too hard on yourself. Every day is a new day. Today could be the beginning of your new life in which you never turn back.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
To the OP...

Let me tell you,..it was that *trying* ( again) "ONE more time", that finally did it for me!!!

Something clicked and I began making a lifestyle change. Eventually my momentum took over and after that, there was NO stopping me!!!!

DON"T ever give up!! It Can be done..

Best wishes

wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Are you sure you've found the right plan for your lifestlye? If you're having such a difficult time staying on track, then another plan may be a better fit for you I had to do a lot of research and a couple trials with different plans, before I found the right one for me.

Last edited by mom23kids; 03-22-2013 at 12:26 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babycakez
Stats: 267/186/160
WOE: Low Carbin' it! RESTART#3: JAN.31.2013
Start Date: 11/02/11
I am right there with you. I have restarted here a countless number of times. Sometimes I am ready to make a commitment and other times not so much. It's more motivating to keep trying and trying rather than just giving up because we all know that is the easiest route we can take yet the most discouraging. It's a good thing that you know when things have gotten outta hand and it's time to visit LCF again to help you find your way. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
babycakez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: laney22222
Stats: 242/234/130ish
WOE: low-carb
Start Date: restart 03/11/2013
Another restarter here. All I can say is that you know what works, so work it! I'm trying to stop thinking of low-carb as a diet that I can used to take off pounds and instead a lifestyle. I could list the many things that improve every time I "go back on low-carb"...better sleep, clearer skin, no more gas and bloat, more energy, and generally less moody. It's like my body is trying to tell me something, don't you think? Maybe I'm ready to listen.

And like the others say...you are not alone. These boards are a wealth of information and support. Use them!
laney22222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart ever on going
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnut View Post
When I logged on a little note popped up and said you haven't been here in awhile why don't you give some advice or ask a question?
I don't expect sympathy but if you have a long leg and a big boot, maybe a good swift kick in my big fat behind is what I need.
So red faced I will attempt again and thanks for all the awesome posts very interesting reading
Spud nut
No need for embarrassment! It happens. I know for me, life has a way of throwing HUGE monkey wrenches into my plans and BOOM...before you know it I am derailed

You have made and keep making the choice to come back, that's what matters most. You don't give up completely!

Welcome Back~!
WickedStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eagle eye
Put on your big girl panties, suck it up and get back in there I have restarted many times but I can't allow myself to focus on failure because that zaps my strength.

eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I see restarting not so much as having failed a time before, but as getting back into a healthy lifestyle. I have a really hard time with emotions and eating and binging and feeling like a failure, but I always feel better eating LC, so that is where I am deferring to.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Don't feel embarassed! Very few people get this right the first time. You try one plan, you learn some stuff about how it works with your body and your lifestyle. You give up for a time. You try another plan. Same thing. Another. Same.

But ultimately, you find a plan, or make an amalgam plan, that you find you can live with long-term. You give up the idea of the "perfect plan", or that you can follow a plan perfectly. You realize that you can't cut corners, and you need to be honest with yourself; you have to count the carbs (calories, points, exchanges, whatever) honestly. If the plan doesn't "work", look at what you're truly eating.

I've learned that ultimately, I have to lower carbs. I have to drink moderately (if at all). I have to count calories and keep a calorie deficit. I have to exercise/move regularly, even if it's not formal "working out". And I can't overdo the exercise, or get too limited on my food, or I burn out after a month.

I know this. I've done it before. I've learned SOMETHING from every diet I've ever tried.

So have you. You can do this. Find the plan that works best for you. Find one that you can stick with.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AlwaysHungry
Stats: 173/150/140
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Restarting is tough business but its so worth it! Also as mentioned above, no one's going to be perfect. Life happens. But the important thing is to keep on keepin' on. Visiting the site on a near daily basis helps to keep me motivated and focused. It's comforting to know that there are others trying to eat/live clean just like me.
AlwaysHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Are those notes automatic? Unless they come from someone who knows you, it's really none of their business. I get regular notices from a truck board because I haven't logged in. Because I'm not interested!
I bet there are many who just want to read the posts to get information. This IS the internet!
I too am in Restart!
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I know it sounds selfish but sometimes I think we quit and restart when we put other things before ourselves. Like a busy life, the kids, money or health problems, our own weaknesses(like carbs for me) because of self pity...after all why not, I will never be skinny, right?

We have to make ourselves a priority, take control and do what we have to do to be there for ourselves and then our families etc. Until I realized this I could not stay on track. Unfortunately we have to save ourselves first before we can be of any good to us or anyone else. Just like being in a plane when that O2 mask comes down...the attendant will tell you to help yourself first or you will pass out and be of no help to others.
I guess it takes a little selfishness to achieve what we need.
Good luck and get busy taking care of you

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ktsandoval
Stats: 191/184/150
WOE: Low carb 30g or less
Start Date: Feb. 2013
I too struggle with this. Like every weekend..I get too lax and hubby and I go out to eat instead of me cooking ! Before you know it a little carb here a little carb there turns into alot of carbs by end of the night. That's why I'm here to be accountable for my actions and reach out to others for motivation.
Kat
ktsandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kitnmom
Stats: 235/198/160ish again
WOE: Atkins, Love that man!
Start Date: September 15, 2003
I am with everyone else, you can see how long i have been here! No need for embarrasment, Just get back on the horse.
I have restarted a bunch of times, this time i am losing the slowest but i have also added some different foods i wouldn't have touched before. They are making the journey much more pleasant. Low carb bread 6 carbs a slice, but i can have toast! Such a simple thing but i really missed it. and eating Humus with celery is crunch and dippy and yummy. Down 29 lbs this time with a bunch to go. but i am happy you can be too!
down 32 lbs since Jan 2013, packing and moving soon, this will be a challenge!

Goals:
lose 5 lbs per month (i think)
Drinking more water, Less diet soda
eat on plan as much as possible
kitnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #19
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It took me literally years to get back on plan and stay there. It has now been almost 3.5 yrs. and the one thing that has been the most significant tool has been to get into ketosis and stay there. Everything else is secondary for me.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: focus83
Stats: 316.5/292.25/285
WOE: 30g carbs or less
Start Date: 01/01/2013
Dont be embarrassed, we have all been there, trust me, im a restarter as well.

The hardest thing to do is face the scales and get back onto the dieting wagon. However once you start it all good. It better to tackle a problem face on that to live in denial and regret it later.

Well done for coming back x
focus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
ugh right there with you....I just derailed today everything I could shove in my mouth I have, not more than 30 carbs but over 3000 calories, talk about embarrassing....
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
You know what?! I think everyone on this board has done this. It is certainly NOTHING to be embarassed about!! Failure is if you never try!! Good for you for picking yourself up again to give it another whirl! Maybe instead of focusing JUST on the weight loss, you focus on your health and longevity? Maybe that will give it more meaning and staying power? You know you can do this. Losing weight is HARD! We are all here to support you! Welcome back!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
I'm right here restarting with you. About the 4th time for me. LC seems to be the only way I can stay on plan for any length of time and lose weight but I keep falling off the bangwagon. Just jump right back on again and never give up xxx
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
Start Date: January2012
Don't feel bad! This is my second go round on LC, if only I knew how good I had it the first time! I've been in a stall since December, so my doctor has finally convinced me to add Phentermine and some exercise along with LC and have lost about 9 pounds since the 11th.
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
What is phentermine?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WickedStitch
Start Date: Restart ever on going
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiegoat2000 View Post
Don't feel bad! This is my second go round on LC, if only I knew how good I had it the first time! I've been in a stall since December, so my doctor has finally convinced me to add Phentermine and some exercise along with LC and have lost about 9 pounds since the 11th.
I love the person I am when I am taking the RX. I actually have energy and don't feel like sleeping the day away. I actually GET STUFF DONE! What a concept! My mind is sharper and not foggy. I really ought to get back to my Bari Dr so she can RX me.
WickedStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Phentermine is an appetite suppressant that is doctor prescribed only. Most doctors wont give it to you unless you have at least 50 pounds or more to loose and you can only take it for six months out of the year. It has helped me break out of my 4 month stall when not even fat fast would work. Also like WickedStitch stated it gives an energy boost that doesn't cause the shakes like caffine does. Talk to you GP, but remember it is just a tool you still must maintain a healthy way of eating and LC is the best!

Start Weight:296/281.0/150.0

No more fat roll hanging over my ring!

Last edited by zombiegoat2000; 03-30-2013 at 03:22 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ktsandoval
Stats: 191/184/150
WOE: Low carb 30g or less
Start Date: Feb. 2013
I'm going to restart and reboot Monday. I've been keeping it low carb but with 30-40 gms per day. Therefore, the inches are coming off....but very slowly. I wish i could be one those stories where i lost 7 lbs the first week!! So I'm going back hardcore to induction. Anyone interested in buddying up let me know!
Kat
ktsandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Sure thing Kat!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #30

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
spud! Glad to see you back. Sometimes I feel like I am "starting over" every day!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote