Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
You're welcome. I can't imagine a dog wanting to eat it, but then, some of them will eat just about anything (food or not).
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
Heart Surgeon Admits Medicine Made a Mistake: Learn What Happened

I hope this is OK to post. I think its an interesting read within the same topic
makrida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceanlover66
WOE: low carb
Most of the things I purchase have Sucrolose or Aspartame(Crystal Light has this) in it.

Sooooo..............besides making my own teas(Which I just made a batch of brewed green tea, I didn't add any sugar). What else is there to make to drink, without buying it from a store(Besides plain water which I hate unless I am exercising) or Almond milk?(I don't count coffee).

Baking I will use Stevia and will check out the other sweetners mentioned.

Thanks for all of this advice and links!!!
oceanlover66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: WW
Start Date: Re-start 1/2/14, 141.2/135.4/120 or <
Quote:
Originally Posted by makrida View Post

I hope this is OK to post. I think its an interesting read within the same topic
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: WW
Start Date: Re-start 1/2/14, 141.2/135.4/120 or <
Quote:
Originally Posted by makrida View Post

rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlover66 View Post
Can I ask how they determined you are pre-diabetic? I have impaired FBG. Yet my 2 hour PP are always good. My primary care dr does not seem to be concerned, as my FBG has always been done in January(after big nights of partying for New Years). Yet, when I had my appendix out last year, I had a 6 hour fast and my BG was 90. My 12 hour fasts, the past 3 years have been around 105. She said I am not prediabetic. My last A1c was 5.4. But I did a home one in January, after I got my FBG level back at 107, and it said 5.8. Not sure how accurate that was, but getting a blood A1C done in May. No Diabetes in my family except my paternal grandmother who was a type 2, and not diagnosed until her 60's. I am 45. I never had PCOS nor gestational diabetes. I have 3 kids. But I sure ate a TON of sugar and carbs over the years. And I mean A LOT.

Lipids have always been so-so. Always within range until this year when my trigs went from 118 in 2012 to 197 in 01/13. My good cholesterol was 52. Bad was 121 I think. Total was 210. Highest is has ever been. Last year was 191.
I have impaired FBG. My FBG have been in the 110-120 range, which is above normal (<100) and lower than diabetic (<125). My A1C when I was first diagnosed was 6.7, and FBG was 123. A month later, just with reducing carbs in my diet, my A1C was down to 6.2. I've been able to keep it between 5.8 and 6.2 since then (3 years) with LC eating, and as I've lowered calories my FBG is slowly lowering too. Nowadays when I test my FBG, it's in the upper 90s or lower 100s, which is quite an improvement for me.

Last edited by synger; 03-24-2013 at 07:09 PM..
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellyMarie38
Stats: 144.8-136.8-135.8-130 & tone-5'7" tall
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 07/2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
Cancer cells surive and grow by eating sugar. Period. They cannot eat artificial sweeteners. They eat glucose.

And ditto everything Pete said.

Like you, I have a friend who tells me, every time I put a packet of artificial sweetener into my tea, that I'm going to die of cancer. Meanwhile, my friend is stirring half a cup of sugar into her tea, weighs more than 100 pounds more than I do, and has all kinds of health problems that I don't have. I'm not losing any sleep over this issue. Sugar is WORSE. Far, far worse.
I agree. I had cancer and that is when I completely changed my diet. I eliminated all sugar. Sugar is definitely worse and tumors do feed off it.
I am a registered nurse and at work I get flack about the AS's I use. Everyone always has something to say about how meticulous I am about my diet and how I eat good foods but then I will consume AS's and how awful it is for me. I politely tell them I don't agree and that I have done my research and am comfortable with my decision.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc-chica View Post
I think you really can only get opinions. I mentioned before aspartame and splenda give me migraines (for sure, I have tried multiple times *yikes*). If splenda didn't give me migraines, I probably would use it. I'd like to believe it's safe. BUt for me, it's not.

There are books you can read. Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills and Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, NutraSweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health.

In my opinion the book on Excitotoxins is very convincing. It was written by a neurosurgeon.

The book Excitotoxins is very convincing. I'm in the process of eliminating anything in my house that contains aspartame and MSG in any form. It not so much a cancer scare as it is to what excitotoxins are doing to your brain. (Dr. Blaylock, who wrote the book, has a Youtube video that is very informative). I don't drink diet soda anymore but my husband did until I read that book and now I only keep a few diet sodas on hand for any visitors who insist on them. I wish I could get him to give up all sodas but he insists on drinking one on the way to work each morning but now he drinks a regular non-diet and them drinks water the rest of the day. I also had a reverse osmosis sytem installed in my kitchen and I use stainless water bottles to send water to work with him.

As for the difference in stevia and Steviva the other poster was correct that it is a brand but they sell pure white extract plus a erythritol/stevia blend. Whenever I post about using Steviva I am refering to the blend which is similar to Truvia but a much better product in my opinion plus the Netrition price is really good.

The sweeteners I use are stevia, erythritol and sometimes a bit of xylitol and if I want a brown sugar taste I use a bit of unsulphured blackstrap molasses.

Last edited by PaminKY; 03-26-2013 at 06:33 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I'll add my 2 cents, tell your friend to watch a show called "How it's made" they showed how we get table sugar. It is "NOT" natural by any stretch of the imagination. The processing the sugar cane goes through will blow her mind. You may find it on U-Tube.

Debbie....
Tater Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/203/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Honestly, I think some people just want to argue...I know a few of those.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #71
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlover66 View Post
Most of the things I purchase have Sucrolose or Aspartame(Crystal Light has this) in it.

Sooooo..............besides making my own teas(Which I just made a batch of brewed green tea, I didn't add any sugar). What else is there to make to drink, without buying it from a store(Besides plain water which I hate unless I am exercising) or Almond milk?(I don't count coffee).

Baking I will use Stevia and will check out the other sweetners mentioned.

Thanks for all of this advice and links!!!
I like teas too, One other thing I have done is make the infused waters. I like mine with a sliced grapefruit and some sliced cucumbers. I let it sit in the fridge overnight.
Or you can try just putting mint leaves in water.

I do have a question too though, I have not seen anyone mention the new stuff from the Monkfruit: 'Nectresse' As I understand t it is a blend of Monkfruit extract and erythritol but in such amounts that it doesn't cause the gastric issues that some sugar alcohols (Like erythritol) can cause. (I do not have that issue with them, Thank goodness!)
It is made by the people who make Splends as a 'Natural' choice, so they have both bases covered I guess. Also it is more heat stable so it is easier to bake with than splenda.

Thoughts anyone?

ETA~I think 'sugar' is very bad for anyone.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 341/301.6/150
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: Hcg 1/5/13, LC 2/10/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
I'll add my 2 cents, tell your friend to watch a show called "How it's made" they showed how we get table sugar. It is "NOT" natural by any stretch of the imagination. The processing the sugar cane goes through will blow her mind. You may find it on U-Tube.

Debbie....
I watched this today.. WOW! That's a lot of processing, and during the process is looks like mud so they have to bleach it. Yeah... really "natural", doesn't everyone bleach their food? lol
TheSouthernPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I heard tell that a problem with the fake sugars is that they maintain one's appetite for sugar. Anything to that?
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmomma View Post
I heard tell that a problem with the fake sugars is that they maintain one's appetite for sugar. Anything to that?
I think it's a very individual thing. Artificial sweeteners can be a problem for some people but not for everyone. If you find yourself craving sugar when eating foods with artificial sweetener, you may want to cut them out or at least greatly reduce how often you eat them.

I use liquid sucralose or stevia in coffee and tea, and eat a low carb dessert about every other day. So far this has not triggered the urge to binge on sweets, and doesn't seem to stall my weight loss.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I think that's an individual thing. Some people find they lose better without diet soda, for example. I lose fine drinking diet soda, as long as I'm still drinking my water. Some people find they can't lose with Splenda, while it's my sweetener of choice (liquid, not the powdered).

Now, sugar alcohols don't sit well with me. Not that I can't lose eating a bit, but I can't count them as zero carbs, because that's not how my body interprets them. I basically stay away, unless I'm having a small treat, like half a serving of SF chocolate.

But right now, I'm doing an extended induction, which means no sugar alcohols, period. I stick with Splenda.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
I have friends that rib me for always drinking diet soda and saying crap like AS is bad for you, but I just let it slide and say to each his own.
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote