LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
Maybe nutrition is like religion and politics--best kept to oneself.
LOL....The same could be true about ANYTHING diet related these days.
I refer you to Gary Taubes 'discussing' obesity with Jillian Michaels on "The View" He tells how she she aggressively lectured him about "The first law of thermodynamics" he was speechless....p.s. He has advanced degrees in physics from Harvard and she is a celebrity fitness instructor.
It's a mad mad mad mad mad world.

Last edited by avid; 03-22-2013 at 12:35 PM..
avid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NAT&RD
Stats: (5'4") 138/116/116
WOE: MODERATE CARBS
Start Date: 2008
Acceptable (to me):
*NO sweetener of any kind = best
*Stevia = better
*Saccharine (Sweet'n Low, the pink packet) = not terrible, not cancerous, not given to killing off your friendly gut bacteria, no insulin spik
*Aspartame (Equal, the blue packet) = bad... (if I get a little, I don't freak, avoid 99.999% of the time) excitotoxin, so not good for the brain - some people have extremely bad reactions to it, similar to MSG.
*Sucralose (Splenda, the yellow packet) = avoid, avoid, avoid - the reasons are legion.
*Plain table sugar = avoid, for reasons of insulin spikes, weight gain, fatty liver, high cholesterol, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc...
*Agave syrup and other similar "natural" fructose sweeteners = avoid - they're not at all a healthful alternative, especially for your liver. No different that HFCS as far as I can see.[/QUOTE]

I'm courious about the process it takes to turn stevia plant into pure white powder.
NAT&RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reta
Stats: 182.8 / 177.4 / 125
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Every morning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
Like you, I have a friend who tells me, every time I put a packet of artificial sweetener into my tea, that I'm going to die of cancer. Meanwhile, my friend is stirring half a cup of sugar into her tea, weighs more than 100 pounds more than I do, and has all kinds of health problems that I don't have. I'm not losing any sleep over this issue. Sugar is WORSE. Far, far worse.
Cracks me up every time this happens to me. I just go and keep going. I only use 1-2 packetts a day, but yet others worse off healthwise than me feel the need/desire/lack of social ettiquet to discuss what I eat when they are three sizes larger and pig out on processed junk food daily.
Reta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I have dear friends who rail against "low carb" for weight loss from a nutritional standpoint. But they are all impressed with me for cutting out sugar and starches "to help bring down the inflammation of my arthritis".

*shrug*

I figure the three main causes of death if you live long enough are cancer, heart disease, or complications from diabetes.

I have great lipids, so I'm not too worried about heart disease. My mom and grandma had cancer, but I don't know of any indicators currently that I have it. However, I'm already pre-Diabetic, insulin resistant, and have PCOS. I KNOW that diabetes will be in my future if I don't control my carbs.

Therefore, sugar is much more dangerous for me than ASs are.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 230/226/140
WOE: Atkins tweaked my way :)
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlover66 View Post
I am so glad I am not alone. Thank you for sharing such a personal matter with me.
You're definitely not alone. I have lived with it since I can remember, even as a child. I am a registered nurse which is. Double edged sword, sometimes good to have medical knowledge, sometimes BAD when you know what CAN happen I've learnt to handle it though. I'm glad to share, even gladder to have 'met' someone with the same problem
Shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceanlover66
WOE: low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkingviolet View Post
You're definitely not alone. I have lived with it since I can remember, even as a child. I am a registered nurse which is. Double edged sword, sometimes good to have medical knowledge, sometimes BAD when you know what CAN happen I've learnt to handle it though. I'm glad to share, even gladder to have 'met' someone with the same problem
They say knowledge is power. But for HA peeps like us, it can be a road to disaster sometimes. Sorry we both have to be in the same "club". to you.
oceanlover66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I have dear friends who rail against "low carb" for weight loss from a nutritional standpoint. But they are all impressed with me for cutting out sugar and starches "to help bring down the inflammation of my arthritis".

*shrug*

I figure the three main causes of death if you live long enough are cancer, heart disease, or complications from diabetes.

I have great lipids, so I'm not too worried about heart disease. My mom and grandma had cancer, but I don't know of any indicators currently that I have it. However, I'm already pre-Diabetic, insulin resistant, and have PCOS. I KNOW that diabetes will be in my future if I don't control my carbs.

Therefore, sugar is much more dangerous for me than ASs are.
Can I ask how they determined you are pre-diabetic? I have impaired FBG. Yet my 2 hour PP are always good. My primary care dr does not seem to be concerned, as my FBG has always been done in January(after big nights of partying for New Years). Yet, when I had my appendix out last year, I had a 6 hour fast and my BG was 90. My 12 hour fasts, the past 3 years have been around 105. She said I am not prediabetic. My last A1c was 5.4. But I did a home one in January, after I got my FBG level back at 107, and it said 5.8. Not sure how accurate that was, but getting a blood A1C done in May. No Diabetes in my family except my paternal grandmother who was a type 2, and not diagnosed until her 60's. I am 45. I never had PCOS nor gestational diabetes. I have 3 kids. But I sure ate a TON of sugar and carbs over the years. And I mean A LOT.

Lipids have always been so-so. Always within range until this year when my trigs went from 118 in 2012 to 197 in 01/13. My good cholesterol was 52. Bad was 121 I think. Total was 210. Highest is has ever been. Last year was 191.

Last edited by oceanlover66; 03-22-2013 at 03:53 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
There have been scare stories down the ages about just about everything. In my youth (and I'm not making this up) cranberries were going to kill you and "Pass the cancer" was a sick joke at Thanksgiving. As soon as a new artificial sweetener comes on the scene, an avalanche of scientific-sounding screeds are soon to follow. What was the thing about Aspartame causing MS and some woman giving a speech somewhere that "proved" it? It was spammed all over the Internet at the time. I always suspect the sugar lobby for distributing them. At any rate, sugar has an immediate and palpable effect on me, and--aside from some of the sugar alcohols--sugar substitutes don't. And that's good enough for me. Tell your friend you got it the first time, and hand her a copy of Sugar Kills.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #39
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
It sounds like kids fighting on the playground.

It is not a contest. Both are bad. Pick your poison if you must.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
LOL....The same could be true about ANYTHING diet related these days.
I refer you to Gary Taubes 'discussing' obesity with Jillian Michaels on "The View" He tells how she she aggressively lectured him about "The first law of thermodynamics" he was speechless....p.s. He has advanced degrees in physics from Harvard and she is a celebrity fitness instructor.
It's a mad mad mad mad mad world.
I saw this "discussion" it made me uncomfortable! Jillian is always yelling though. lol
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I guess I was seeking an answer to the "lesser of two evils". I know the FDA
approves of AS, and Stevia. But they also approve of a lot of things that later on down the road says "OOPSIE so sorry".
I think you really can only get opinions. I mentioned before aspartame and splenda give me migraines (for sure, I have tried multiple times *yikes*). If splenda didn't give me migraines, I probably would use it. I'd like to believe it's safe. BUt for me, it's not.

There are books you can read. Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills and Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, NutraSweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health.

In my opinion the book on Excitotoxins is very convincing. It was written by a neurosurgeon.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
WOE: Atkins
Everything is going to kill everybody, all the time, right now.

I hate these discussions and my workplace is full of them. They spout out how eating red meat is going to kill me while eating buckets of 'low fat' and very sugary foods (and complaining about being hungry). That artificial sweetener is going to give me cancer. Too much salt means I will have a heart attack and die, right this second.

I feel like the studies are up and down every moment. What they never say is to be wise and choose what works for your body.

There are real studies that show sugar is bad. There are some studies that show artificial sugar might be bad, and of course some people are sensitive to it. Is it good for you, of course not. Everything is terrible for you, depending on who you ask. Just chew on a leaf of lettuce while doing cardio- or wait, new research says thats bad for you too!
peretroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #43
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
90% of all people who die have eaten carrots in the 30 days prior to their death.

We all better stop eating carrots.

PS- I sometimes eat carrots with cinnamon and Splenda on them.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

I'm pretty sure the cancer scare was saccharin, wasn't it? Everything I've read about aspartame and other AS actually has nothing to do with cancer, so I guess that's not to worry
Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
90% of all people who die have eaten carrots in the 30 days prior to their death.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 230/226/140
WOE: Atkins tweaked my way :)
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting Mar 2013
Like I said, I'm an RN. A lot of my colleagues smoke and drink to excess and eat junk food like anything. I lost 40lb first time round on Atkins and when they heard the word 'Atkins', pretty much everyone frowned and went on about cholesterol and all that stuff that people who know nothing about Atkins go on about. So I just say first of all, I'm 40lb lighter. Second, my blood work shows the following: since losing weight with Atkins my thyroid has normalised, my vit b12 levels have normalised, my cholesterol has dropped from 5.8 (over the safe limit, for those in USA where I think it's measured differently) to 4.2, normal. So there!
Shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc-chica View Post
I'm pretty sure the cancer scare was saccharin, wasn't it? Everything I've read about aspartame and other AS actually has nothing to do with cancer, so I guess that's not to worry
The one I'm thinking of involved cranberries contaminated by accidental pesticide exposure, but I remember the saccharin scare too.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #48
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
The saccharin scare was proved to be wrong.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
Not sure if I can post a link, but here goes...this was just in this week's Huffington Post. I have a lot of respect for Dr. Amen in general...

huffingtonpost.com/ daniel-amen-md/sugar-brain-health_b_2868392.html

(I broke the link so it's not live..you will have to paste it in your browser and take out the space between the forward slash and "Daniel"....forgive my ignorance in techy things)

Last edited by Girlieschmoo; 03-23-2013 at 04:23 PM..
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyP
Stats: 303/296/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Can I ask how they determined you are pre-diabetic? I have impaired FBG. Yet my 2 hour PP are always good. My primary care dr does not seem to be concerned, as my FBG has always been done in January(after big nights of partying for New Years). Yet, when I had my appendix out last year, I had a 6 hour fast and my BG was 90. My 12 hour fasts, the past 3 years have been around 105. She said I am not prediabetic. My last A1c was 5.4. But I did a home one in January, after I got my FBG level back at 107, and it said 5.8. Not sure how accurate that was, but getting a blood A1C done in May. No Diabetes in my family except my paternal grandmother who was a type 2, and not diagnosed until her 60's. I am 45. I never had PCOS nor gestational diabetes. I have 3 kids. But I sure ate a TON of sugar and carbs over the years. And I mean A LOT.

Lipids have always been so-so. Always within range until this year when my trigs went from 118 in 2012 to 197 in 01/13. My good cholesterol was 52. Bad was 121 I think. Total was 210. Highest is has ever been. Last year was 191.
I could only wish my A1C was 5.8. The high end of normal for an A1C is 6.4. Don't fret, dear. Your numbers look great, with cholesterol only slightly elevated; and from a medical perspective, numbers are not the be-all and end-all of health, they are merely indicators of possibilities. Remember that when you are burning fat, cholesterol that is stored within the fat cells is released and can cause your numbers to be elevated, although you are going to burn it off.
JennyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
The evidence that sugar is bad is so abundant it's laughable that anyone could think it safe and healthy to eat. There is conflicting evidence regarding various AF's so for the most part while I wouldn't say they are healthy, IMHO they are preferable over sugar. I don't like aspartame, but will use sucralose freely.
I can't help but think that people who comment about AF's "will kill you from cancer" are really just trying to justify their sugar addiction. Kind of like an alcoholic saying he drinks because alcohol is good for you.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #52
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I understand that some people don't think artificial sweeteners are good for the human body based on the general belief that anything 'artificial' is counter to good health. I actually agree in general with that thought. However, there is no good scientific evidence at this time that supports that idea.

What there is good scientific evidence and in abundance is that sugar is a toxin and than means it is bad for the human body. It doesn't matter what form it comes in - 'from nature' or what ever, it is all bad.

The idea that you friend is picking sugar over artificial sweetener as a preferred choice in respect to health is just laughable IMHO. I would ignore her - she clearly has no clue.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyP View Post
I could only wish my A1C was 5.8. The high end of normal for an A1C is 6.4. Don't fret, dear. Your numbers look great, with cholesterol only slightly elevated; and from a medical perspective, numbers are not the be-all and end-all of health, they are merely indicators of possibilities. Remember that when you are burning fat, cholesterol that is stored within the fat cells is released and can cause your numbers to be elevated, although you are going to burn it off.
Well I didn't start LCarbing until I got those numbers back. So I am doing more exercising now, and have dropped almost 10 pounds. The A1C of 5.8 that I did the home test for, I did it in January. And last year(and years prior, but worse last year) I consumes A LOT of sugar and carbs in my diet, and did a lot more drinking then I ever have. Now I only drink on a special occassion which may end up working out to once every few months.

My Dr is only doing A1C because I broke down and cried in her office over my FBG numbers. And since I have health anxiety, one of my biggest fears has been diabetes(along with cancer). So she agreed to do one for me in May. They actually had to come up with a reason for insurance purposes to put down on lab slip, since my FBG was not considered high. So they just wrote "strong family history".(Even though the only person who has ever been a diabetic in my family was my paternal grandmother. Type 2 DX in her 60's). My parents have good cholesterol and no BG issues. I was picking my finger 20X a day. She told me to smash my meter, and to NOT touch it. (It was sending me into a tailspin). So I am one who cannot "eat to your meter". I just cannot touch it. I made her do a blood sugar test in her office. It was about 3 hours after a meal and it was 108. *I* think that is high. She said no way. That if it was 150 or above at 3 hrs PP she would be concerned. And told me to just cut down/out sugar and reduce carbs and exercise.

And my trigs. Wel, even though I consumed lots of sugar and carbs every year, my trigs were still ok. But since I was placed on Amitryptiline last year, I can't help wonder if that is what raised it. And I hope not, because it is the only medication that helps my IBS currently. And there is no way I can go back to having debilitating stomach pains.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #54
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I can't help but think that people who comment about AF's "will kill you from cancer" are really just trying to justify their sugar addiction. Kind of like an alcoholic saying he drinks because alcohol is good for you.
My grandmother smoked until she died because she said a doctor told her it would keep her from getting TB.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Well this is the thing. My crystal lights have aspartame, and Total 4-C has Splenda. My flavored carbonated beverage has sucrolose. So, this stuff is dangerous then?

Is Steviva the same as Stevia?

Oh my. I am going to get cancer.
Steviva is just a brand name like SweetLeaf. I checked it out, they are using pure stevia. I ordered stevia by Sweetleaf a few weeks ago but haven't used it yet.

But yeah if I were you I'd start phasing out aspartame (the worst offender in the sweetener world) and sucralose as well. Lots of people on this forum use sucralose but IMO it's carcinogenic. I'm with your friend on this one.

You should gradually phase them out and replace them with products made with erythritol and stevia. If you do this one product at a time you won't have a problem. For example, when you start to get low in one product, buy 2 or 3 products to replace it that use stevia and/or erythritol; that way you increase your chances of liking something. If you just buy 1 product to replace it with, you might not like it and end up renouncing erythritol or stevia without having given them a fair chance. Not all products made with the E and stevia are created equal (no pun intended).

I recently baked a cake with the E for the first time and liked it.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I am fussy and a super taster.I don't know if you have it there (I am in New Zealand)but I find 'Bettasweet' a stevia/erithritol mix or any of the xylitol products (e.g Annies,perfect sweet) are nice.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Xylitol is from birch tree bark.The whole of Norway had nothing else during WW2 and it is not deadly to gut bacteria so it is a pretty good one if you have concerns.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #58
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
I don't believe there's been a single case of cancer that could be directly attributed to AS. All the studies linking AS to cancer have been done with mice, and from what I recall they were all fed enormous amounts of AS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post

Whew, I hate carrots so I'm safe
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
Xylitol is from birch tree bark.The whole of Norway had nothing else during WW2 and it is not deadly to gut bacteria so it is a pretty good one if you have concerns.
It's deadly to dogs though. Just wanted to mention that in case everyone didn't already know.
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

thanks for that.I don't have a dog at the moment but good to know.