Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Help me find the culprit (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800043-help-me-find-culprit.html)

babycakez 03-21-2013 01:58 PM

Help me find the culprit

I woke up this morning to a 5 pound gain.. haven't seen a number in the 200's in over a week & a half now so it was a bit discouraging. I thought about what I had eaten yesterday and I have a feeling it could have been the deli oven roasted turkey I had. It's 1 carb for 4 very very thin slices and 440mg per serving. I had 11 slices total for the whole day with some mayo,cheese, and bacon crumbles(2 slices crumbled). Other than that I had a nice big salad with just lettuce and ranch for lunch and for dinner some shrimp scampi on a bed of bell peppers topped with sour cream, which I eat very often and have never seen such a big gain. So my guess is the gain is water retention from the meat. What do you guys think?

trishthedish 03-21-2013 02:53 PM

I agree. You seemed to have quite a bit of sodium yesterday. You are just holding a little bit of water. Drink up and keep peeing. You'll be back to normal by the end of the weekend (if not as soon as tomorrow).

clackley 03-21-2013 03:47 PM

At least you know for certain it is fluid retention and that the 'weight' will return to normal.

ravenrose 03-21-2013 03:48 PM

please don't overthink this. it will just lead to seeing patterns that aren't really there. you know it's not a permanent gain of five lb., right? so just go on with your good way of eating and it will sort itself out!

if you seem to have a permanent gain, then it's worth dissecting the situation to figure out why. good luck!

babycakez 03-21-2013 04:07 PM

Now that I looked at the package, the shrimp scampi is 840mg for 6 shrimp so that combined with the turkey bacon and cherry coke zero must have really put me over the limit. I'm not worried though I know it will be gone in no time its just that I really want some more of what I had yesturday but without another gain.. ugh. Decided to have my shrimp scampi again but I'm not gonna add the garlic butttery sauce on top this time and try to cut some of that sodium out and drink lots and lots of water!

picklepete 03-21-2013 04:27 PM

I definitely gain weight from refined oils (mayo, ranch, etc). Not 5 lb in a day but it's one idea.

Hayek 03-21-2013 04:42 PM

I'm pretty sensitive to sodium and have eaten days similar to yours (higher in sodium) and experienced a similar fluctuation (I have a high range). I wouldn't worry about it long term. If I have a more sodium-happy day, I tend to drink a lot of water the following day and consume at least 50% less sodium, and it seems to drop within 1-2 days.

Aside from that, a one or two day fluctuation upwards (in my experience) isn't really a "permanent" gain as long as you think about the factors that could have led up to it. So I wouldn't worry too much.

(Heck, after a slight sodium-binge, I woke up one day 6lbs above my normal weigh-in and by the end of the day I was only 2lbs above that normal weigh-in--so sodium, at least for me, has significant impact--even if the increased amounts are not massive).

babycakez 03-21-2013 05:11 PM

Well I weighed again a few minutes ago with clothes and shoes on and after I ate a meal and drank a few glasses of water and the scale is still registering the same which should mean I'm a bit lower already because the shoes should have added atlwast another pound or so.

raindroproses 03-21-2013 05:17 PM

I definitely second the sodium assessment! It does add up, and I've been finding now that I'm tracking my foods with a nutritional tracker I'm able to understand just how much is in the things that I eat... I swear extra sodium is hidden EVERYWHERE! :laugh:

It'll definitely go away in time like everyone else said. Water weight is such a pain though, even if we know what it is :annoyed: I try to keep my sodium under 2500mg a day now whenever possible, and that's seemed to help quite a bit. If you haven't started tracking your foods some place, you may want to give it a try... I know it definitely opened my eyes to what I was doing/what was causing me to stall/gain :)

Spod 03-22-2013 06:29 AM

Hi there Lisa, I've seen some of your posts on the board. Congrats on your progress! I agree with PPs that sodium seems to be culprit. But I've also found that if I combine 2-3+ things together that I consider LC friendly treats (bacon, dressing, etc) I tend to gain. Maybe try drinking an extra 24-36 oz of water for a few days to flush it out. I've been averaging 64-80 oz a day (I'm currently 214) and it seems to help keep retention away (with the inevitable exception if TOM). I know we're not supposed to promote any apps on the board (odd!) but I have a tool I use to track where you can set custom nutrient goals and I find it helps me keep on top of my sodium levels, which is the only challenge these days. I assume you can PM people on the board. If you want the name if the app, let me know! Best of luck to you

babycakez 03-22-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16329165)
I definitely second the sodium assessment! It does add up, and I've been finding now that I'm tracking my foods with a nutritional tracker I'm able to understand just how much is in the things that I eat... I swear extra sodium is hidden EVERYWHERE! :laugh:

It'll definitely go away in time like everyone else said. Water weight is such a pain though, even if we know what it is :annoyed: I try to keep my sodium under 2500mg a day now whenever possible, and that's seemed to help quite a bit. If you haven't started tracking your foods some place, you may want to give it a try... I know it definitely opened my eyes to what I was doing/what was causing me to stall/gain :)

I'm definitely going to try to be more careful with my sodium intake because I feel that I am quite sensitive to high amounts of it and will retain like no other. Good thing though is that it usually only takes 1 day to take off if I am extra clean that following day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spod (Post 16329912)
Hi there Lisa, I've seen some of your posts on the board. Congrats on your progress! I agree with PPs that sodium seems to be culprit. But I've also found that if I combine 2-3+ things together that I consider LC friendly treats (bacon, dressing, etc) I tend to gain. Maybe try drinking an extra 24-36 oz of water for a few days to flush it out. I've been averaging 64-80 oz a day (I'm currently 214) and it seems to help keep retention away (with the inevitable exception if TOM). I know we're not supposed to promote any apps on the board (odd!) but I have a tool I use to track where you can set custom nutrient goals and I find it helps me keep on top of my sodium levels, which is the only challenge these days. I assume you can PM people on the board. If you want the name if the app, let me know! Best of luck to you

Thank you so much, you might be right. The shrimp, bacon, turkey and dressing were all pretty high in sodium and I don't usually eat that combination anyways. I drank 100 oz of water yesterday (I am not a big water drinker either) and I am happy to say that I am back at 196 this morning! I definitely need to get an app for my phone, I know sharing that kind of information here is not allowed, not even sure if PM is ok since PM arn't so private here either if you ask me. It would need to ran by an Administrator if anything.