Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   MD wants me to start Ideal Protein diet if I stall (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800036-md-wants-me-start-ideal-protein-diet-if-i-stall.html)

rndiane 03-21-2013 01:37 PM

MD wants me to start Ideal Protein diet if I stall

I went to my MDs appointment yesterday and he was pleased with my lab results. He is also supportive of my low carb diet. He said, when I reached a plateau,he wanted me to start the Ideal Protein diet. I searched this diet and it looks mostly like a Medifast tpye diet. Am I correct? Has anyone else done this? I believe, he doesn't want me to get discouraged when a stall happens.

Dottie 03-21-2013 01:42 PM

There are a couple of threads on it, though none are currently active, you can still get some ideas from them:)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...tein%26quot%3B

If your doctor sells it, it's really not cool for him to push it on you, KWIM? He has a conflict of interest if there's a $$ involved.

rndiane 03-21-2013 01:51 PM

Thanks Dottie for the threads. I don't think I could do that restrctive of diet. I like to eat. My MD wasn't selling the program to me. He did the diet last year and had great results and he is maintaining. He did give me a name of someone who would be my coach. He has no vested interest in IP. He is a young Internal Medicine doctor and likes to look outside of the box.

Dottie 03-21-2013 01:55 PM

:up:
I know one of my moms doctors was selling some program and was pushy about it to the point it made her uncomfortable and she got rude with him about it :laugh:

piratejenny 03-21-2013 04:05 PM

I saw some packages of that at a gym a couple years ago.
It's a high-protein, low-carb, very low-fat plan.
All the food seems pretty highly processed and there's a lot of soy protein, IIRC.

I'm sure it works well for some people, but you could make up a similar plan for yourself (if you were so inclined) with lean protein, for a lot less money!!! But the Ideal Protein packets are convenient if you are very busy, prefer not to cook "from scratch", or need help with portion control.

I've bought a few products by a different brand (Proti-Diet) and while I did not enjoy trying to live on powdered & dehydrated foods :laugh:, I did like their gelatin-based drinks. I've since bought some collagen hydrolysate (unflavored gelatin that dissolves in cold water) and can make my own. :)

Ntombi 03-21-2013 04:11 PM

Yuck.

Leo41 03-21-2013 04:50 PM

I'm no physician, but IMO when a person stalls what's important is to find out the cause of the stall and rectify it. I lost all my weight (and continue to maintain) via low carb eating. Yes, I had a long stall at one point, but I discovered the problem and solved it.

If low-carb eating is a healthy choice for you (as it is for me), I would not abandon it for some packaged plan.

Ntombi 03-21-2013 05:38 PM

:goodpost: That!

dawnyama 03-21-2013 05:41 PM

I have no opinion on the Ideal protein diet, but I just have to comment to you diane. I love your avi :love::love: that has got to be the cutest little pup I have ever seen. I had a dacshund (how do you spell that LOL) when I was young and I love the breed. That looks like a mini. Too cute :love::love: Ok back to your original thread now :laugh:

rndiane 03-21-2013 07:08 PM

I will stay with low carb. The thought of drinking shakes all the time is depressing. Thanks for your replies. Dawn, thank you that is my little Sparky(BD july 4th) and he is a firecracker.lolj

piratejenny 03-21-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rndiane (Post 16329253)
The thought of drinking shakes all the time is depressing.

It's actually not just shakes; there are soups, pancake mixes, cereals, entrees, "chips", etc.
(Not that I'm endorsing it or anything, lol. Just FYI)

rndiane 03-21-2013 07:29 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Jenny. I still would rather have a steak and salad with blue cheese salad dressing.lol

piratejenny 03-21-2013 07:34 PM

Yeah, me too!!! :steak: :up:

Ntombi 03-21-2013 09:43 PM

Sparky is super cute!

rndiane 03-22-2013 12:26 PM

Thank you Ntombi, your little Buddy is very cute too!

NineOhNine 03-22-2013 05:34 PM

You can bet your doctor's buddy is making money off the shakes. Maybe they have an agreement.

Knittering 03-22-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

You can bet your doctor's buddy is making money off the shakes. Maybe they have an agreement.
That's what I was thinking. It sounds like a terrible diet and I'm not surprised we don't have active threads devoted to it.

LadyKT 03-23-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NineOhNine (Post 16331050)

Yeah. I really dislike any company that tries to sell a "health or weight loss " product without actually taking into consideration the ingredients. My friend sells Advocare and swears by it. I took one look at the ingredients and said "Oh, so you're selling everyone an early death? How nice". :mad:

piratejenny 03-23-2013 08:27 AM

Ideal Protein doesn't even list the ingredients or nutritional info for their products on their website :down:
Says "For more information on nutritional values, please visit your local Clinic."

Boo! Hiss!!!

JennyP 03-23-2013 06:06 PM

Sounds like Visalus. What a huge push there was around my area lately! Several people tried to sell it to me, and when I said I don't eat soy because of the hormones, they had an answer for that too. No thanks. I would rather eat real food.

Maryposa 03-23-2013 06:34 PM

It's similar to medifast. When I get tired of my eating plan and choices (it's been 6 years since I recommitted 15 years since I first tried atkins, so ya, sometimes I get tired of steak and salad! lol) and and feel like mixing it up, I'll order a few boxes and do a couple of weeks (that's about all I can take before I need more fat! hehe).

If you start to miss oatmeal, soy crisp type things, pancake or muffin type things, I don't think it's a bad idea to switch things up.

Personally, I switch things up every so often if I start to stray (a sign that I am getting bored with my food choices) and eat things I normally would not. As long as the plan has adequate protein and is at least relatively low carb, I am open to trying it.