Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   MONK FRUIT!? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/800033-monk-fruit.html)

Strawberry 03-21-2013 12:18 PM

MONK FRUIT!?
 
Apparently its something being used as a sweetner. I saw this for the first time in Walmart last night, along side the boxes of splenda packets. They make it in packets, as well as in little bottles of liquid to squirt into things (looks like Mio bottles).

Obviously, I looked it up online...
Siraitia grosvenorii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Does anyone have any opinions on this stuff? Is it safe? Taste good? Any weird aftertaste?

Dottie 03-21-2013 12:23 PM

I've never liked it, personally (we know how different tastebuds are). It tastes like overripe/rotten fruit to me.

Beeb 03-21-2013 12:45 PM

Has a weird aftertaste! I use it with other sweeteners just to use it up. Will not buy it again! :down:

picklepete 03-21-2013 01:07 PM

Lakanto is very tasty but expensive. I haven't tried the Walmart one.

piratejenny 03-21-2013 02:56 PM

The stuff you saw in WalMart--is it Nectresse?

If so, it only has a small bit of monk fruit in it; it also contains erythritol, sugar, and molasses.
I bought some a while ago and it looks like mostly erythritol & sugar (white & granular).

It's actually pretty difficult to find pure monk fruit.

Knittering 03-21-2013 03:52 PM

I gave it a try because apparently it's primal, but I agree with you Dottie:

Quote:

It tastes like overripe/rotten fruit to me.
Yeah, nasty!

Strawberry 03-21-2013 06:57 PM

I saw both Nectresse (with the added erythritol) as well one called Monk Fruit to Go, which is basically a calorie free liquid with monk fruit.

Ingredients: Water, Monk Fruit Extract, Malic Acid, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative) And Potassium Sorbate (Preservative).

(photo from Walmarts website)
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/81...44_180X180.jpg

I ended up getting the "sucralose to go" version, because I didnt really know anything about Monk Fruit at that point.

tulipsandroses 03-21-2013 07:06 PM

I have the liquid monk fruit that Walmart sells and it just does not taste sweet to me at all.
Still sitting in my pantry since last year. The same company makes a liquid sucralose and a liquid stevia. Never tried their stevia but I like their liquid sucralose.
I do have a brown sugar sub from LC Food Corp that I like that contains monk fruit, however it also has a mix of other subs, stevia and sucralose. But I suspect its the monk fruit in that mix that helps to give it the brown sugar taste.

I would not buy the monk fruit to go again. I don't detect any after taste, the problem is it has no taste to me at all. No sweetness at all.

peretroika 03-21-2013 08:25 PM

I bought it today (they had it powdered at my local drugstore, Duane Reade) and it seemed to have less carbs than splenda...now I'm worried I should go back to my usual stevia in coffee, but I'm not crazy about that after taste either!

watcher513 03-22-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peretroika (Post 16329444)
I bought it today (they had it powdered at my local drugstore, Duane Reade) and it seemed to have less carbs than splenda...now I'm worried I should go back to my usual stevia in coffee, but I'm not crazy about that after taste either!

Stevias taste different in different brands. Have you tried the NuNaturals?

Dottie 03-22-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulipsandroses (Post 16329335)
I have the liquid monk fruit that Walmart sells and it just does not taste sweet to me at all.
Still sitting in my pantry since last year. The same company makes a liquid sucralose and a liquid stevia. Never tried their stevia but I like their liquid sucralose.
I do have a brown sugar sub from LC Food Corp that I like that contains monk fruit, however it also has a mix of other subs, stevia and sucralose. But I suspect its the monk fruit in that mix that helps to give it the brown sugar taste.

I would not buy the monk fruit to go again. I don't detect any after taste, the problem is it has no taste to me at all. No sweetness at all.

Their brand of liquid sucralose didn't taste sweet to me. I had to use a lot to get the same sweetness as 1 drop of ez-sweetz. It wasn't a $$ savings for me.

tulipsandroses 03-22-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16329677)
Their brand of liquid sucralose didn't taste sweet to me. I had to use a lot to get the same sweetness as 1 drop of ez-sweetz. It wasn't a $$ savings for me.

True. I don't think its as sweet as EZ Sweetz. Interestingly, Walmart also carries EZ Sweetz in the same type of squirt bottle and I don't think that one is as sweet as the one I used to get online either. I have been contemplating going back to the online version of EZ Sweetz. But I will probably still keep sucralose to go on hand.

Dottie 03-22-2013 09:45 AM

I haven't seen the ez-sweetz brand at mine yet.
I do remember the larger bottle (2oz?) was like 1/2 the sweetness of the little bottle.

Strawberry 03-22-2013 05:40 PM

Interesting.... I tried to make some lemonade with the liquid sucralose to go, and I felt like I had to put in an awful lot to get it to taste sweet! I guess it may not "just be me", but maybe its not as sweet as expected. They say "one squeeze" per 8 oz... but to get it sweet is more like a "SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZE E" !!

I looked for the EZ-Sweetz while I was there, but couldnt find it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 PM.