Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Protein shakes? Coconut water? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799983-protein-shakes-coconut-water.html)

oceanlover66 03-20-2013 06:25 PM

Protein shakes? Coconut water?

I was under the impression that protein shakes makes you put on weight and is full of carbs?

And I looked at coconut water. It is loaded with carbs and sugar. Am I missing something?

raindroproses 03-20-2013 07:31 PM

Coconut water is too carby for me honestly, so I don't drink it anymore... but maybe someone found a lower carb one that they use? I know some people enjoy it after/during a workout because it's more hydrating than water supposedly (I'm guessing because of the nutrients in it) and many up their carbs anyway when working out strenuously.

Protein shakes don't have to be carby though, and I've been dropping weight while drinking one every morning for breakfast. The pre-made ones are almost always junk imo though, so I make my own. It all boils down to what type of protein powder you use. Mine only contains 3 total carbs per scoop, so once I add my egg in I'm at 5 carbs for a SUPER filling protein packed breakfast that keeps me going til lunch (and sometimes I'm not even hungry then!) :)

oceanlover66 03-20-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16327469)
Coconut water is too carby for me honestly, so I don't drink it anymore... but maybe someone found a lower carb one that they use? I know some people enjoy it after/during a workout because it's more hydrating than water supposedly (I'm guessing because of the nutrients in it) and many up their carbs anyway when working out strenuously.

Protein shakes don't have to be carby though, and I've been dropping weight while drinking one every morning for breakfast. The pre-made ones are almost always junk imo though, so I make my own. It all boils down to what type of protein powder you use. Mine only contains 3 total carbs per scoop, so once I add my egg in I'm at 5 carbs for a SUPER filling protein packed breakfast that keeps me going til lunch (and sometimes I'm not even hungry then!) :)

Could you tell me what kind of protein powder you use?

And thank you for the answer to the coconut water.

raindroproses 03-20-2013 08:10 PM

Sure thing! I use a brand called Bodylogix, and as far as I know they come in chocolate, vanilla ice cream, and strawberry banana flavors. The chocolate is my favorite, but the vanilla is really nice too. I'm not a fan of banana so I haven't tried the fruity one yet! :)

They carry it at Meijer grocery stores here, but I'm not sure if a health food store may have it? I know Netrition didn't seem to carry it, but they DO have a website so you might want to check that out if you're interested! There are also some other good options on Netrition in the low carb section as well, although I haven't tried any others so I can't speak to their quality.

I used to use Gold Standard and they tasted great too imo (and they have more variety in flavors), but I can't remember how many carbs. 5 total maybe? I know it was on the low end too, but when I saw Bodylogix I jumped on it :)

Sometimes if I want a different flavor I just mix a SF syrup in with it (for instance creme de menthe with chocolate to make a mint chocolate chip style one, or raspberry with vanilla is good too!) and that helps keep things interesting!

picklepete 03-20-2013 08:17 PM

I learned that liquid doesn't reduce my appetite at all so I steer clear. The closest thing to a shake I make is just coconut milk + berries.

August Moon 03-20-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanlover66 (Post 16327391)
I was under the impression that protein shakes makes you put on weight and is full of carbs?

And I looked at coconut water. It is loaded with carbs and sugar. Am I missing something?

As for the shakes, you gotta read the labels. As for the coconut water. Yes you are missing something. Use coconut milk instead.

PianoAl 03-21-2013 07:57 AM

I use the cytosport 100% whey from Costco.

Every morning I have a rounded tbs of that plus a rounded tbs of NOW psyllium husk blended in 12 oz of water.

Plus, after every workout, I have this smoothie:

11 oz water

1 scoop Cytosport vanilla 100% whey

2 TBS Heavy Whipping Cream or full-fat Greek yogurt

2 ice cubes

1 frozen strawberry

1 tbs Psyllium husks

⅛ tsp potassium salt

Blend

Mimosa23 03-21-2013 08:36 AM

I use coconut water as an occasional potassium supplement, and buy a brand without added anything. It is not too high in carbs. I don't drink it every day or after every workout. I maybe drink 8oz once a week. So far, it has not affected my ketosis or helped with hunger.

Like I said, I use it as a supplement.

Deb 03-21-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August Moon (Post 16327573)
As for the shakes, you gotta read the labels. As for the coconut water. Yes you are missing something. Use coconut milk instead.

saw this post this morning and went label reading:)

bought myself 3 cans of coconut milk

Deb34 03-21-2013 12:50 PM

I use Optimum Nutrition Casein protein powder. I believe it has 2 carbs per scoop and is a slow digesting protein which doesn't mess with my insulin(ie no insulin surge like I get with whey protein which is super fast digesting). I love this stuff, using chocolate supreme at the moment but want to try chocolat PB too. I use two scoops, water and HWC and I could go all day on that. Provides 50 gm protein, plus the fat from the cream and voila its the perfect nutrition dense but almost carb free thing to eat/drink.

mizzcase 03-21-2013 01:03 PM

Second the Optimum Nutrition Casein, I use Chocolate Supreme too.. scoop of that with a T MCT oil and a cup of almond milk (with some water and ice added at the end).. tastes like a chocolate milkshake and keeps me full from 6A-2P.

Deb34 03-21-2013 01:23 PM

:clap::clap:mizzcase, I don't know if I told you how grateful I am to you for recommending the Casein protein. I was having major trouble with insulin surges, I would get tremors from the insulin rush after having whey protein. I needed the Protein shakes though to get in decent amount of protein cuz I'm on the go a lot and need portable food.

You recommended this type of protein in a couple of threads and I immediately tried it and haven't looked back, no more hypoglycemic shakes from insulin surges, just nice steady BS, so thank you thank you thank you:clap::clap::clap: for mentioning this...

can you tell I'm grateful?

dawnyama 03-21-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanlover66 (Post 16327391)

I use protein powder to use in my protein shakes for breakfast. Using them as a meal doesn't make one gain weight. And mine is low carb. Just search for one that is low in carbs. I love using the protein shakes for breakfast.

My coconut water is heavenly!! I have found that when I have it, I lose weight. It is great for the day after I eat out at a restaurant and have that tummy bloat. Thus, it is a great diuretic for me. The potassium/sodium ratio is excellent for me to stave off the leg cramps too. The carbs in it are from naturally occurring sugars that are in the coconut itself, not from ADDED sugars. So I am OK with adding that in my plan. I love coconut water. I try to drink 8 oz daily.

oceanlover66 03-21-2013 04:55 PM

Thank you all so very much!!!! I love my LC friends!! I learn something new every day. Off to check all of this out. And I drink unsweetened Almond milk at dinner time. So I have it in the house. Easy to add some protein to it(low carb). Wondering, should I drink this BEFORE I do a work out, or after? I have a hard time with anything but coffee in the mornings. I am not a breakfast eater. But I am going to start working out sometimes in the early mornings/early afternoons. Opinions?:heart:

raindroproses 03-21-2013 05:05 PM

Honestly, it really depends on you... some people use protein shakes before they work out, some use it after. Both are beneficial imo, and the choice is really up to you as far as when you'd want to be drinking the shake/what effect you're looking for :)

For instance... people who consume protein shakes before working out usually do so because it gives them an energy boost. The protein along with the carbs kind of acts as a fuel, and that can be useful for lengthy/intense workouts.

People who consume them after do so for the recovery aspect... it's good to get protein AFTER a workout as well to help with recovery. As I'm sure you know, our muscles take a bit of a beating every time we work out and protein assists with coming out of that state healthfully. That's not to say you need to have a protein shake afterward of course. If you had a lunch with any protein in it at that point after a breakfast/early morning shake, that'd work well too :)

Basically... it's a matter of opinion it seems, and it's entirely up to you! If you feel like you might need extra oomph before your workout, you can have your shake before. If not, or it's too early for you to stomach anything but coffee, afterward would be beneficial too!

dawnyama 03-21-2013 05:17 PM

I cannot work out on a full stomach. I have to work out on an empty one. I always eat after my workout. Others may find they are different and don't get stomach cramps if they eat before hand. I do though.

raindroproses 03-21-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 16329167)
I cannot work out on a full stomach. I have to work out on an empty one. I always eat after my workout. Others may find they are different and don't get stomach cramps if they eat before hand. I do though.

That's a good point! I usually have something small before I work out, but I never eat a full meal beforehand... I don't think I'd feel so good if I did :laugh: I think the general suggestion is that you have your protein shake around 30 minutes before working out if you want to consume it before the workout. But that's a good point... it'd depend entirely upon whether or not you need to exercise on an empty stomach or not. I find that I can't do that myself. I have to be somewhere in between :)

oceanlover66 03-21-2013 06:12 PM

No, I could not work out on a full stomach. But drinking one prior(half hour or so might work for me in the afternoons). In the mornings though, I can only drink coffee. And I would work out with my water of course. Then have my protein shake. But would the protein shake be instead of eating lunch?

raindroproses 03-21-2013 06:17 PM

Yeah, it's a meal replacer basically :) If you make them the right way, they're REALLY filling... just make sure to incorporate enough fat. I use an egg too (no eggy taste whatsoever, it just makes it more like a milkshake) and make egg creams out of it.

My recipe is: 1 large egg, 2oz HWC, 1/4 cup water (or almond milk would be fine!), one scoop of protein powder, any additional syrups or extracts you might want to add to change the flavor

Blend it up with or without ice and serve cold. That keeps me filled up from breakfast, usually BEYOND lunch. Definitely at least 4 hours, usually more like 6. If you were doing a shake lunch, you could always prep a healthy snack if you didn't think you'd make it til dinner, but I've never had a problem :)

oceanlover66 03-21-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16329267)
Yeah, it's a meal replacer basically :) If you make them the right way, they're REALLY filling... just make sure to incorporate enough fat. I use an egg too (no eggy taste whatsoever, it just makes it more like a milkshake) and make egg creams out of it.

My recipe is: 1 large egg, 2oz HWC, 1/4 cup water (or almond milk would be fine!), one scoop of protein powder, any additional syrups or extracts you might want to add to change the flavor

Blend it up with or without ice and serve cold. That keeps me filled up from breakfast, usually BEYOND lunch. Definitely at least 4 hours, usually more like 6. If you were doing a shake lunch, you could always prep a healthy snack if you didn't think you'd make it til dinner, but I've never had a problem :)

:goodpost: and thank you!:heart:

watcher513 03-22-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PianoAl (Post 16328118)
I use the cytosport 100% whey from Costco.

We also use this one from Costco. It's the only place I've seen this particular version and it's 3 carbs/scoop (just over 1/3 cup scoop). I'm not normally hungry when I get up so a few times a week, after an hour or so I can handle a shake. My 91 yr. old mom also likes them. We usually use 8 oz. of water and 4 frozen strawberries. OR 4 packets of True Orange and a few drops of vanilla. If I use the True Orange packets I add in 4-5 ice cubes and it's almost like an Orange Julius. It usually fills me up for a few hours, at least.

fiddlejen 03-22-2013 07:57 PM

Coconut water is a better cure than anything for t.o.m. cramps. The plain kind, no sugar nor other juices nor flavorings added, does naturally have some natural sugar, but a lot less than any other juices.

oceanlover66 03-22-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlejen (Post 16331322)
Coconut water is a better cure than anything for t.o.m. cramps. The plain kind, no sugar nor other juices nor flavorings added, does naturally have some natural sugar, but a lot less than any other juices.

Can you recommend a brand? Like to hear it helps with T.O.M. issues!

mizzcase 03-23-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb34 (Post 16328807)
:clap::clap:mizzcase, I don't know if I told you how grateful I am to you for recommending the Casein protein. I was having major trouble with insulin surges, I would get tremors from the insulin rush after having whey protein. I needed the Protein shakes though to get in decent amount of protein cuz I'm on the go a lot and need portable food.

You recommended this type of protein in a couple of threads and I immediately tried it and haven't looked back, no more hypoglycemic shakes from insulin surges, just nice steady BS, so thank you thank you thank you:clap::clap::clap: for mentioning this...

can you tell I'm grateful?

Yay! I'm so glad its been working for you! Its worked wonders for me and I love to hear that it works for other people as well! This makes me so happy! :cool:

mizzcase 03-23-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanlover66 (Post 16329130)
Thank you all so very much!!!! I love my LC friends!! I learn something new every day. Off to check all of this out. And I drink unsweetened Almond milk at dinner time. So I have it in the house. Easy to add some protein to it(low carb). Wondering, should I drink this BEFORE I do a work out, or after? I have a hard time with anything but coffee in the mornings. I am not a breakfast eater. But I am going to start working out sometimes in the early mornings/early afternoons. Opinions?:heart:

For what its worth, I don't worry about eating/drinking anything pre-workout. When your body is fat adapted, it just works off its stores. I don't notice any decrease in performance if I don't eat before a workout.

fiddlejen 03-23-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanlover66 (Post 16331336)
Can you recommend a brand? Like to hear it helps with T.O.M. issues!

Personally I go with any of these: zico, vitacoco, o.n.e., naked. So far, basically, any of the ones that come in tetra pak type containers (rather than cans or glass bottles) seem to be good.

Some of the cans/glass bottle coconut "juice" drinks are just that -- "juice-drinks" (aka juice-flavored sugar water)--and some even seem to be soft drinks of some kind. (My local grocery store has a large selection of ethnic foods, some in its own sections and some just placed by food-type throughout the store, and that accounts for some of the coconut juice they carry.)

If you read the label, 100% coconut water should be the only ingredient. Then it will help with tom.