Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Help please (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799969-help-please.html)

fatfreddie 03-20-2013 02:11 PM

Help please

Hi folks, I have been away from LC for a bit as we all tend to do from time to time. I did pretty good by simply eating a little cleaner and watching sugar, etc. Bottom line, I put on some weight over the winter and want to get a jump start on summer. I started induction 4 weeks ago, and also started going to the gym 5 days per week. At the gym, I do 40 min of cardio either running or elliptical or swimming. I also do weight training for 40 min per day on an Upper/Lower/crosstrain schedule. Over the past few days I have noticed cramps in my calves when running, and quick fatigue when lifting. Today, when I came home from the gym I was doing things around the house, and I noticed that I was having an aura in my vision, I became light headed, and felt like I was going to pass out or throw up? I ate one piece of white bread and a teaspoon of honey, and within about 10 minutes I felt better.

I have been keeping my carbs just above induction level. The scale is moving "slowly" 10 pounds over 4 weeks. I am thrilled about that loss, but more important, how my clothes are fitting. I am also really concerned about my incident this morning. Any suggestions? :stars:

Rhubarb 03-20-2013 03:23 PM

I have had that happen and determined it's due to dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.

Next time try drinking some salty broth instead of carbs to see if that helps.

In the beginning I made my own Gatorade and drank that and it sort of helped. But it wasn't until I started taking magnesium and upped my salt intake a little bit that I stopped getting those episodes. The leg cramps were ferocious. All gone now.

fatfreddie 03-20-2013 03:26 PM

Cool, I'll give it a shot! Scared the crap out of me...

clackley 03-20-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhubarb (Post 16327095)
I have had that happen and determined it's due to dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.

Next time try drinking some salty broth instead of carbs to see if that helps.

In the beginning I made my own Gatorade and drank that and it sort of helped. But it wasn't until I started taking magnesium and upped my salt intake a little bit that I stopped getting those episodes. The leg cramps were ferocious. All gone now.

:goodpost:

Krissy2010 03-20-2013 04:06 PM

Drink some powerade zero

WickedStitch 03-21-2013 05:46 AM

I would agree with drinking something salty.
Low potassium can also cause leg cramps, instead of bananas which are LC no nos, try an avocado.

Dottie 03-21-2013 06:03 AM

Honestly you should consult your doctor. It's completely not normal for you, so getting a professional opinion from the doctor that knows your history is very important.

Sharss 03-21-2013 06:15 AM

Along with the above suggestions, google topic of "over-exercising".

Good luck!

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
:heart:

fatfreddie 03-21-2013 08:21 AM

Yeah, I talked to my Doc, and she did bloodwork. Told me to take a day off from the gym, and rest. I have been pushing a bit hard at the gym. I also picked up a multivitamin and avocado's this morning