Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   incorporating fat into diet (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799957-incorporating-fat-into-diet.html)

Abdul1993 03-20-2013 11:14 AM

incorporating fat into diet

I've always struggled to consistently keep my fat to protein ratio high, and I honestly don't know how everyone else does it. I was looking at my sunflower seeds and it says 16g fat while 10g protein, and thats like 1.5:1 ratio. How do you guys add so much fat to your diet? I understand adding butter and mayonnaise and cooking everything in a lot of oil for every meal....but is that enough to make it extremely high fat compared to the protein we take in? Is there any food that I can just eat that's extremely high in good fat but has little protein? I know foods like dressing and mayonnaise and etc...but those don't really fill you up. And I can't use dressing and mayonnaise with every single food either. It would be very helpful if I can find a pure fat real food so then I can just eat those. Thank you.

PS: probably eating too much protein is what prevents me from entering ketosis, but there's nothing else to eat

picklepete 03-20-2013 11:24 AM

Quality butter, cream, cheese, coconut, olive, and avocado are probably best. Some people gain weight from seeds and seed oils (mayo and dressings) so I would approach those with caution.

creseis 03-20-2013 01:10 PM

Your body does not care about the ratio, only the amount.

peretroika 03-20-2013 04:40 PM

I have heard some people mix coconut oil in their coffee, or eat it straight...I tried doing that once, it was not delicious and made me break out/very bad stomach pain. But it works for some people!

lisamt 03-20-2013 05:00 PM

The ratios are based on calories, not how much fat or protein is in a particular food. Fat has 9 calories per gram, while protein and carbs have approximately 4 calories per gram.

A quarter cup of sunflower seeds has 186 calories, 8 g carbs, 16 g fat, and 8 g protein. That works out to 72% fat, 12.5 protein, and 15.5 carbs.

lisamt 03-20-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peretroika (Post 16327205)
I have heard some people mix coconut oil in their coffee, or eat it straight...I tried doing that once, it was not delicious and made me break out/very bad stomach pain. But it works for some people!

Straight up coconut oil does not mix well with coffee, and it can cause stomach distress in people who are not accustomed to eating fat. Most people I know that use coconut oil in coffee (including myself) use a blender to mix it, which turns the coffee from oily to creamy.

tinamanni 03-20-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisamt (Post 16327238)
Straight up coconut oil does not mix well with coffee, and it can cause stomach distress in people who are not accustomed to eating fat. Most people I know that use coconut oil in coffee (including myself) use a blender to mix it, which turns the coffee from oily to creamy.

yeah I cannot stand coconut oil in my coffee. I tried and always just spit it out - too oily without blending and that takes to much time in the am for me. BUT - I have a cup of swiss miss hot chocolate almost nightly and mix a tbs of coconut oil in with that. I put the oil in with the water and warm up for 2 minutes. mix in hot chocolate and then I add a tbs of hwc. I think the oil is weighed down by the hot chocolate so it blends to a point that I love. And who doesn't love coconut chocolate creamy deliciousness?

reddarin 03-20-2013 06:03 PM

It takes a bit of ramping up for your body to get adjusted to eating CO. I had a cup of coffee with a tbs and got a bit sick to my stomach when I first started using it. After that I spent about a week working up from 1 tsp a day to 2 tbs a day in coffee.

It will pool on the top if you just stir it in but once you get used to the texture it isn't bad. I still drink it mixed like that sometimes. If you have a thermos you can shake up the coffee CO mixture before each drink or small cup and that works well.

clackley 03-20-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creseis (Post 16326883)
Your body does not care about the ratio, only the amount.

^THIS!

Abdul1993 03-20-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisamt (Post 16327235)
The ratios are based on calories, not how much fat or protein is in a particular food. Fat has 9 calories per gram, while protein and carbs have approximately 4 calories per gram.

A quarter cup of sunflower seeds has 186 calories, 8 g carbs, 16 g fat, and 8 g protein. That works out to 72% fat, 12.5 protein, and 15.5 carbs.

wow thank you, now i understand

Avy 03-20-2013 09:01 PM

I have a mini hand frother for lattes, so I make my coffee every morning, and add a tbsp of coconut oil and butter to it, froth and go to work. I add sour cream to my salads and veggies, or butter. Cook in oils. Eat fatty cuts of meat like pork shoulder and fatty hamburger. Roll cream cheese in salami. Eat avocados in my salad instead of chicken sometimes. Bacon or sausage with eggs. Add heavy cream to the eggs when I cook, or mayo or sour cream to my hard boiled eggs. Trying to think of other ways I add fat. Drizzle olive oil over my cabbage with spices and a little all natural no sugar rice vinegar... so yummy! Full fat greek yogurt with nuts. Flax muffins or hot flax cereal with peanut butter. So many ways to increase the fat!

Avy 03-20-2013 09:39 PM

How could I have forgotten fat bombs? When I'm really trying to keep my fat up, I make chocolate peanut butter cups.

1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, and sweeten to taste. I don't usually use any sweetener, and use crunchy peanut butter. 2 tbsp of the mix per muffin liner, and store in the fridge for yummy guilt free Reese's peanut butter cups.