Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Hot Italian Sausage...Does It Make You Stall? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799938-hot-italian-sausage-does-make-you-stall.html)

HappyisNow 03-20-2013 07:38 AM

Hot Italian Sausage...Does It Make You Stall?

I had to cook up a whole batch of hot italian sausage this morning, and they are quite salty. Delicious, but salty.

What's been your experience with them? I'm thinking about getting a bag of brocoli slaw, steam them a bit and kinda substitute them as pasta and have the italian sausages with onions and peppers as topping.

synger 03-20-2013 08:21 AM

I love italian sausage. They're one of my go-to meals when they're on sale. Like chicken thighs, I cook up a bunch of them on the weekend, then eat them all week.

Sliced up they're great in salads. Reheated, then dipped in sour cream/mustard. One of the BEST soups I ever made was with veggies, a 1/4 cup of white beans (not too much carb for the whole batch), and diced italian sausage. Also really good diced into scrambled eggs with mushrooms and peppers. Or sliced and stir-fried with cabbage and onion.

synger 03-20-2013 08:23 AM

Oh, and it doesn't so much make me stall as it makes me retain water. But it all comes off later anyway. I try to focus on the loss of fat overall, not the vagaries of salt intake and water weight. Same thing happens when I eat corned beef (LOVE March!), or homemade kraut, or lots of pork rinds. I don't worry about it anymore. I KNOW I'm losing fat, because my calories and carbs are too low not to. And the scale bears me out, even if I have to look at the month-long trend rather than the day-by-day bounces.

marieze 03-20-2013 08:31 AM

I had a bowl of sweet italian sausages with peppers and onions last night and I was down a pound this morning:jumpjoy:

tttmom 03-20-2013 09:00 AM

Italian sausage affects my whole family. I think it's whatever they put in the "spices", because even the cleanest minimal ingredient ones hurt us. I have to make my own if I want to continue losing. Good thing it's so easy to make cuz I love it! Just made some last night :)

picklepete 03-20-2013 09:03 AM

I think cured meat is fine if it's mostly clean and local, i.e. just ground meat and spices from the meat counter and not national/frozen brands. Salt is fine if you get adequate potassium (whole plants). That dish sounds really tasty!

Portia 03-20-2013 09:03 AM

The ones made by the butcher at Stop and Shop have quite a few carbs in them compared to the sweet or mild.

Ntombi 03-20-2013 11:03 AM

I buy a brand that has no sugar in the ingredients, and lists zero carb per sausage. I eat them at least a few times a month with no ill effects. I love them.

Watch the listing, though: the carb counts can vary wildly, I've seen others with as many as 5 per sausage, and sugar as a third or fourth ingredient.

Jakelilydad 03-20-2013 08:45 PM

I got some sausages at a Farmers' Market, and when I got home noticed that they listed sugar in the ingredients. It was pretty far down on the list, but still a huge disappointment.

Dolores Claiborne 03-21-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tttmom (Post 16326412)
Italian sausage affects my whole family. I think it's whatever they put in the "spices", because even the cleanest minimal ingredient ones hurt us. I have to make my own if I want to continue losing. Good thing it's so easy to make cuz I love it! Just made some last night :)

I'd love to make my own Italian sausage, would it be possible to post your recipe? :yummy:

jazills 03-21-2013 07:31 AM

Italian sausage always makes me lose big when I eat it. I like to change up my sausages though. So the next time I run out of this kind I'll buy the Italian sausage again.

mizzcase 03-21-2013 01:06 PM

Look up the Linda Sue recipe for hot italian sausage with peppers and onions.. its awesome :)

For those in the southeast, Publix sausage is on sale this week. Just ground pork and spices!

KOO 03-21-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16326666)
I buy a brand that has no sugar in the ingredients, and lists zero carb per sausage. I eat them at least a few times a month with no ill effects. I love them.

Watch the listing, though: the carb counts can vary wildly, I've seen others with as many as 5 per sausage, and sugar as a third or fourth ingredient.

Which brand do you buy?

DiamondDeb 03-21-2013 01:48 PM

Most sausage contains ingredients I want to avoid so I had not had any until recently.

I discovered Murray's Mild Italian Chicken Sausage at Publix in the Greenwise section. The only ingredients other than chicken are a few recognizable spices. It is great. I've had it a few times now & it does not cause any problems at all. I plan to enjoy it often.

Dgeno 03-21-2013 01:49 PM

I eat them all the time.. But like another poster mentioned, Stop & Shops have corn syrup in them.. SO I always use Lamberti brand.. Gluten free as well.. I THINK Shoprites are OK too... love them on the grill with a big ole salad!! YUM

Ntombi 03-21-2013 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KOO (Post 16328840)
Which brand do you buy?

This is the front of the package. I didn't take a pic of the back with the nutrition label, and I don't think I have any in the freezer right now. They have a hot, a sweet, and at least a few chicken sausages that I've seen.

KOO 03-21-2013 04:56 PM

Thanks Ntombi, I will look for that.