Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Green Drinks Anyone? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799936-green-drinks-anyone.html)

Kateee 03-20-2013 08:08 AM

Green Drinks Anyone?

Three supermarkets today, and I can't find any kale :annoyed:
Anyone else having trouble finding it?

Also I'm thinking of adding a green drink to my WOE.

If you take green drinks. What one is your favorite? From what I've read, their not the best tasting.

Dottie 03-20-2013 08:10 AM

Search this: "green + smoothie" on the site and you'll find a ton of recipes and suggestions:)

HappyisNow 03-20-2013 08:23 AM

I have seen kale both at my local grocery store and also at farmer's markets. If not, I would think collard greens do the trick as well!

I've been hesitant to start smoothies because I'm afraid of the carb content and in my old stubborn mind I'd like to think of clean low carb as with food, but as the weather is getting warmer, the idea of a cool smoothie is tempting!

Randy 03-20-2013 09:18 AM

I use a nutribullet.

We get a kale/spinach/chard combo at Kroger. Half the drink is that, along with a cucumber slice and lemon juice. Other half is frozen berries, 1/4 apple or pear, 1/2 a banana. Add cold water.

If I don't add any of the sweeter fruits, I might add 1/2 pack of splenda or sweet-n-low.

I'll have 4 or 5 of these a week as meal replacements. I realize the pears and bananas are high in carbs, but it doesn't cause cravings for me so I don't worry about it.

ouizoid 03-20-2013 09:57 AM

both trader joes and whole foods have frozen kale--makes life easy--

Taxbane 03-20-2013 10:38 AM

My favorite is:

Romaine, Spinach, Celery, Parsely, Cilantro, Tomatoes, Carrots, and tiny bit of cucumber. If small amounts of carrots and cucumber are used, it is easy to keep an serving at 10 net carbs. Also, I sautee the pulp and add it to other things like eggs, LC biscuits, chili, etc... No waste. Low Carb. Still get all the fiber. Extra-mass amounts of veggies that I wouldn't otherwise eat. Also, b/c the juice is higher glycemic due to the processing, it is ideal IMO to juice right before a workout.

Kateee 03-20-2013 06:43 PM

Thanks for the ideas...will give them a try :)

Deb 03-20-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 16326402)
both trader joes and whole foods have frozen kale--makes life easy--

only in America :eek:

i love kale
usually get it at costco or super store

kind 03-21-2013 04:16 PM

Just getting back to useing my Nutri bullet.
Spinsh also works green. all dark greens are heathy and u will find alot of recipes for fruit and greensmooties.
Had my first one today{Have not used nutri bullet in while.
had 1 cup frozen raseberries and 3 hand fulls spinsh green.{Next time will add 1/2banana or other fruit was good.

kind 03-21-2013 04:17 PM

spinach

Gabby1 03-21-2013 07:29 PM

Our green smoothie recipe:
Non-paleo (and slightly tastier) version: 1/2 c 2% Fage plain Greek yogurt, handful kale, handful spinach, 5 frozen strawberries, tbs olive oil or coconut oil, squeeze lemon, stevia packet.

Paleo: 1/3 c coconut milk (replaces yogurt and oil), kale, spinach, berries, lemon, stevia as above.

ASIDE: Ouizoid your new avatar looks great!