Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cathlaur
Stats: 225/202/175 5"10
WOE: Atkins.
Start Date: Restarted Feb 5, 2013. Weighing once a month!
Stalled 7 weeks in, is this normal?

Hey there
I love low carb eating, I think I have gluten issues so I feel so much better. I have done this on and off for years and know this is the only way I can lose weight. I keep going from 202 to 205.5 for 2 weeks. I have eaten strict induction. Today I finished 10 days of Biaxin for a bad sinus infection so I wonder if that is the cause! I am so frustrated, I lost so fast when I did this before. BUT I am much older now to. I won't stop eating this way but I would love to hear some stories of struggles early on. As much as I love reading the incredible success stories it can make some of us think WHAT is wrong with me?

Thanks

Katie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 319/305/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 1/2/14 for yet another time
I've heard of stalls lasting a very long time. No advice, I just think I'd go nuts!! I hope someone has some good ideas to get the pounds moving again. But just remember you CAN lose inches and not pounds!
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
I've been stalled since August, so 7 months. All I can say, is keep putting one foot in front of the other. Eventually, we'll come out on the other side!
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Two weeks isn't really a 'stall.' And you've been ill.

When I'm even slightly ill, I retain water, and I will be pounds heavier until I'm fully recovered. Many meds will do the same.

Give yourself a chance to recover.

What helped me is to keep track of my weight each week (I only weigh weekly) because I was able to observe trends over time and see exactly how my body was responding.

I didn't always lose the same amount each week--even though I was eating and exercising exactly the same way. There are all sorts of variables involved in weight loss, and many of them are not under our control. I find it helpful to just focus on the ones I can control.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathlaur View Post
Hey there
I love low carb eating, I think I have gluten issues so I feel so much better. I have done this on and off for years and know this is the only way I can lose weight. I keep going from 202 to 205.5 for 2 weeks. I have eaten strict induction. Today I finished 10 days of Biaxin for a bad sinus infection so I wonder if that is the cause! I am so frustrated, I lost so fast when I did this before. BUT I am much older now to. I won't stop eating this way but I would love to hear some stories of struggles early on. As much as I love reading the incredible success stories it can make some of us think WHAT is wrong with me?

Thanks

Katie

You lost about 20 pounds in 4 weeks, 10 of the last 14 days you were sick with the sinus infection and taking an Rx med and you just finished up your meds, right?

Sounds like that might be the culprit. You are all better now? Keep on doing what you have been doing for another week and see how things go as your body gets back to normal.

On the other part of your post, it seems to be pretty common to lose a lot slower when you come back to LC after many years.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Reversing the process of excessive fat accumulation can be very frustrating, especially for people with difficult metabolisms. It is also hard to identify the difference between a true stall, which means you have found your energy balance vs. fat loss masked by changes in water weight, glycogen and muscle mass gains, with the latter being rare.

I think a true loss in body fat occurs at a rate of about 1/4lb to 1/2lb a week. Why? Because of something called SNS down regulation. Basically when you restrict your calories too low, your body reacts by lowering its metabolism. This also happens with excessive exercise, but usually with people who are trying to lose bodyfat, it is more due to calorie restriction. A small amount of body fat lost can often just be masked by other things, since 1/4lb of fat weighs very little in compared to the water/food weight you can gain due to a big meal or consuming more fiber than normal.

Even if you are LC, you can't really get away with not tracking calories either. Overeating is really easy to do, regardless of the type of diet you are doing. For example people really struggling with overactive insulin production and blood sugar levels, can easily overeat on a LC diet. For myself for example, I track my calories and carbs. I can't eat too little with respect to the number or calories, or else my body shifts into down regulation. I also can't eat too many carbs at one meal. Plus I also have to eat a decent amount of fiber and not too much protein. I try to eat 5 meals a day of about 200 - 300cal, with no more than 5g of carbs. Dinner is the only exception, it is usually 350 to 450 cal with a bit more protein, having said that though, dinner sometimes causes my insulin level to rise. I try to the keep the carbs down, but the bigger meal is difficult.

I also count daily calories, although I try to eat to satiety. Since I know roughly how many calories means fat loss vs. fat gain, I also know that I can still overeat and tracking has helped me figure out why. Sometimes its too many daily carbs, sometimes specific foods, sometimes too many carbs at one meal, sometimes too much exercise, sometimes not enough fat, sometimes too much protein. Its exhausting but very insightful. Trying to figure out what keeps me losing vs. stalling (ie. energy balance) is a challenge. But at least I will get a sense of how to maintain my weight when its all said and done.

I also thought that I could accomplish my weight loss goal in 6 months. It has been a year and a half and I am still not there. It is a bit of an eye-opener. I guess slow and steady really does win the race.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cathlaur
Stats: 225/202/175 5"10
WOE: Atkins.
Start Date: Restarted Feb 5, 2013. Weighing once a month!
Thanks everyone. NAH I have not lost 20 pounds in 4 weeks. That was my all time high. I should have changed my stats I was about 210 when I started. I am hoping that it is the meds as it has only been about 5 to 8 pounds which is why I am frustrated. Sorry for the confusion.

I am really going to watch what I am eating and see what is going on. It will be interesting to see once the meds are out of my system how things work.

Katie
cathlaur is offline   Reply With Quote