Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Sweetleaf (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799903-sweetleaf.html)

Abdul1993 03-19-2013 05:56 PM

Sweetleaf

I use sweetleaf as my sweetener. It's ingredients are inulin fiber and USDA approved stevia extract. And it says it has 0 carbs unlike the other artificial sweeteners which have >0 carbs I think. I'm just wondering why every low carb dieters don't use this. Is there something bad about stevia for low carbers or maybe just in general? thank you

raindroproses 03-19-2013 06:40 PM

I'm honestly not sure, but I use Stevia often enough and I've never had issue with it... I think some people think it has a funny aftertaste (which certain types do in certain things imo) and there just aren't a lot of products available that use it yet. I think that's why so many people got hooked on aspartame and sucralose and such... it's just more widely used.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone's had trouble with Stevia though too, but I know for certain I'm okay with it... I've been drinking a cherry limeade made with it, and remained in ketosis :)

picklepete 03-19-2013 07:11 PM

Opinions of Sweetleaf seem very positive, it's just a little expensive and hard to find in some areas.

lisamt 03-19-2013 07:15 PM

I don't think there is anything bad about stevia, it's just some people just don't like the taste. I have several flavors of Sweet Leaf stevia drops and think they are great.

Stevia alone isn't sweet enough for me and if I use too much it tastes weird, so I usually combine it with liquid sucralose.

haferchamp 03-19-2013 08:51 PM

Sweetleaf brand is one of the better ones for the powder types. Depending on what they are mixed with they tend to have a funny after taste and some don't mix well in cold beverages. At home I prefer to use the pure liquid stevia but always have a few packets in purse for on the road use.

Jakelilydad 03-20-2013 10:14 PM

I've never heard anything bad about stevia, except, as noted above, that some people don't like the taste. I use it every day in my coffee, and often in other things as well. People also use it along with other sweeteners because the combination makes the end product sweeter than just using one type. With stevia, just check to see if there is anything mixed with it that you don't like.

Ntombi 03-21-2013 12:43 AM

I don't use it because I don't like the taste as much as liquid Splenda. Nothing wrong with it, though.

I also tend not to use most powdered sweeteners, because most are cut with maltodextrin, which is a corn-based bulking agent. I'm allergic to corn, and maltodextrin causes a reaction. That doesn't apply to Sweetleaf, but most ASes.

WickedStitch 03-21-2013 06:15 AM

Stevia is my sweetener of choice. I think a majority of people don't like it due to a few factors; too expensive, don't know much about it, have gotten used to the over sweetness of artificial sweeteners and therefore do not like the taste of stevia.

Lokarbiebarbie 03-21-2013 06:59 AM

Stevia is a 'member' of the ragweed family. If you have severe allergies, this may (and it does for me) trigger them. My DB, DSis and others in family have the same experience...so I use splenda (liquid).