Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inspiration
Stats: 234/219/189 6'0"
Start Date: feb 26, 2013
Strong amonia like smell after exercising

Every time i go for a run now(5 times a week) when i am done and shower all I can smell is this extremely strong ammonia like smell. I have been trying to read to figure out what it might be and am getting mixed information.

1. I have read that its just my body in ketosis(which I am in ketosis) burning fat and ketones which i am hoping it is that.
2.I also read that it is my body burning protein because there is no carbs available which means my body is burning muscle(that would be horrible)
3. I have read that it could be your kidney working overdrive trying to synthesize nitrogen to urea from eating to much protein and that your kidney can't synthesize all the nitrogen therefor it is secreted in your sweat. I read that this can be very taxing on your kidney.

I have also read a few other theories. So my question is what do you other low carbers thing it is seeing how we are on similar diets? Could it be something more serious?? Should I eat some low glycemic carbs only before i run and work out to try and stop this and will that take me out of ketosis or will that fact that i burn them off immediately not affect ketosis?? I just don't want it to affect weight loss but I also don't want to lose any muscle so any information or suggestions would be ver much appreciated.
inspiration is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
It's ketosis. My sweat smells more strongly too, it's just the ketones, no need to change anything.

If you're eating enough protein to maintain your muscle mass (somewhere in the vicinity of .75-1g per pound of lean body mass, not total weight) , you'll be fine.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
I don't know what plan you are doing or what level/intensity of exercise you are doing. There is a transistion period to NK during which your intensity needs to be tempered, and you may need more macronutrients than you think.
I think you should check out "The Art & Science of low carb performance", by Phinney & Volek.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Its not just a strong smell though it is litterally an extremely strong ammonia smell. I do take in a lot of protein so i'm hoping its not my body burning muscle.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Liz-Right now I am running about 4 miles(in about 45 minutes) per day 5 times a week.. Then later in the day training one body part per day. I am already 3 weeks in on the diet and exercising. Not really following any plan per say as far as i know, but i'm not taking in any sugar at all and the only carbs i do get are fiber from green vegies like broccoli , green beans etc.. I do get alot of protein though as i have a big protein source with every meal including a protein shake between br and lunch after my run and another between lunch and dinner. My fat intake i am getting sufficient i would believe. I take about 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil per day and put olive oil or butter on all my vegies as well as 3 g of fish oil per day if that counts.

I will have to check out the art and science of low carb performance thanks!!

Last edited by inspiration; 03-19-2013 at 08:56 PM..