Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
How does insulin resistance causes obesity?

How does this happen? I don't fully understand the mechanisms behind it.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Gary Taubes has a clear, in-depth explanation in Why We Get Fat. Here are the basics:

Insulin signals our muscle cells to burn glucose instead of fatty acid. It also signals our fat cells to stop releasing fatty acids and start storing them.

When our insulin is regularly high, our cells start becoming resistant to it. So the pancreas compensate by releasing more insulin.

However, not all cells become resistant at the same rate. In many of us, muscle cells become resistant faster. So, when your insulin levels are high, your muscle cells aren't burning glucose as fast as they should ... but your fat cells are storing fat.

Worse, since your muscle cells aren't getting the energy you need, your body can start signalling to you that you need fast-energy food right away - so you get carbohydrate cravings. And if you eat more carbohydrates, the cravings just get worse.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Another good book is from Diane Kress, "The Diabetes Miracle". She explains in an easy to understand way about how your metabolism works. She talks about Met B syndrome, Pre-diabetes, and diabetes. A wealth of information I highly recommend reading.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
The Art and Science of Low Carb Living by Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek is another great resource. There's a whole chapter about insulin resistance and how a low carb, high fat diet can help.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Atkin's DANDR also describes this. Basically, rather than asking the question on here, and similar such inquiries, you really will be much better served by doing a bunch of research on your own from low carb/metabolic resistance/PCOS/diabetes/ketogenic performance authors, several of which have been listed. Your best bet at real understanding is not from asking random questions but reading a systematic, more comprehensive work. Then we can help you spot clean some points if needed, without having to write novels of our own
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
Insulin resistance is like your cells get sick of hearing from insulin so they stick their fingers in their ears. But that just makes your body shout louder with more insulin. Anytime insulin is coursing through you, fat can not be released. If you never give your body a break from things that cause a lot of insulin to release the fat will accumulate.
(I didn't know how simple of an explanation you wanted....so I went with as simple as I could.) Hope this helps.
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I love that image... my cells with their fingers in their ears saying "la la la la I can't hear you!" as the insulin keeps creeping up.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
For those of who have responded so far, I really appreciate taking your time out to write me an explanation based on your own knowledge. I have read each of Gary Taubes books twice, the atkins books, and spent countless hours on the internet researching the topic by reading blogs and internet articles. It was the one thing that was bothering me still because the mechanism seems to also be linked to excessive exercise. And I am trying to figure out why insulin resistance also develops in some people who engage in excessive exercise.

Now I have another book on my reading list
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Have you seen the movie, "Fat Head?" There is a humorous, but informational "cartoon" within the movie that explains insulin's role in storing fat and insulin resistance caused by carb overload in SAD.
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote