Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   How does insulin resistance causes obesity? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799857-how-does-insulin-resistance-causes-obesity.html)

Punkin 03-19-2013 07:04 AM

How does insulin resistance causes obesity?

How does this happen? I don't fully understand the mechanisms behind it.

biancasteeplechase 03-19-2013 07:10 AM

Gary Taubes has a clear, in-depth explanation in Why We Get Fat. Here are the basics:

Insulin signals our muscle cells to burn glucose instead of fatty acid. It also signals our fat cells to stop releasing fatty acids and start storing them.

When our insulin is regularly high, our cells start becoming resistant to it. So the pancreas compensate by releasing more insulin.

However, not all cells become resistant at the same rate. In many of us, muscle cells become resistant faster. So, when your insulin levels are high, your muscle cells aren't burning glucose as fast as they should ... but your fat cells are storing fat.

Worse, since your muscle cells aren't getting the energy you need, your body can start signalling to you that you need fast-energy food right away - so you get carbohydrate cravings. And if you eat more carbohydrates, the cravings just get worse.

haferchamp 03-19-2013 11:31 AM

Another good book is from Diane Kress, "The Diabetes Miracle". She explains in an easy to understand way about how your metabolism works. She talks about Met B syndrome, Pre-diabetes, and diabetes. A wealth of information I highly recommend reading. :)

lisamt 03-19-2013 11:50 AM

The Art and Science of Low Carb Living by Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek is another great resource. There's a whole chapter about insulin resistance and how a low carb, high fat diet can help.

Arctic_Mama 03-19-2013 01:30 PM

Atkin's DANDR also describes this. Basically, rather than asking the question on here, and similar such inquiries, you really will be much better served by doing a bunch of research on your own from low carb/metabolic resistance/PCOS/diabetes/ketogenic performance authors, several of which have been listed. Your best bet at real understanding is not from asking random questions but reading a systematic, more comprehensive work. Then we can help you spot clean some points if needed, without having to write novels of our own ;)

anglgrl 03-19-2013 02:35 PM

Insulin resistance is like your cells get sick of hearing from insulin so they stick their fingers in their ears. But that just makes your body shout louder with more insulin. Anytime insulin is coursing through you, fat can not be released. If you never give your body a break from things that cause a lot of insulin to release the fat will accumulate.
(I didn't know how simple of an explanation you wanted....so I went with as simple as I could.) Hope this helps.:)

synger 03-19-2013 05:02 PM

I love that image... my cells with their fingers in their ears saying "la la la la I can't hear you!" as the insulin keeps creeping up.

Punkin 03-20-2013 05:19 AM

For those of who have responded so far, I really appreciate taking your time out to write me an explanation based on your own knowledge. I have read each of Gary Taubes books twice, the atkins books, and spent countless hours on the internet researching the topic by reading blogs and internet articles. It was the one thing that was bothering me still because the mechanism seems to also be linked to excessive exercise. And I am trying to figure out why insulin resistance also develops in some people who engage in excessive exercise.

Now I have another book on my reading list:jumpjoy:

mainemom 03-20-2013 02:28 PM

Have you seen the movie, "Fat Head?" There is a humorous, but informational "cartoon" within the movie that explains insulin's role in storing fat and insulin resistance caused by carb overload in SAD.