Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Can you critique my menu (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799855-can-you-critique-my-menu.html)

lose4life 03-19-2013 05:45 AM

Can you critique my menu

Hi everyone,

I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly and wanted to get some input on my daily menu.

B: protein shake (GNC)
L: Frozen Atkins Meal
S: fat bomb
D; Hamburger with cheese and vegetable. Or frozen atkins meal, or chicken with veges

Thank you

Theresa

fsfty 03-19-2013 06:17 AM

Honestly, its not too good. I would suggest staying away from the atkins meals and protein shakes. You've just started, and i think you would be more successful in the long run if you ate cleaner (veggies, fat, etc.).

lose4life 03-19-2013 06:26 AM

Thank you for the response

Gretalyn 03-19-2013 06:45 AM

Is the GNC shake high in fat and low in carbs? And is the protein good quality? (e.g. whey, not soy)

lose4life 03-19-2013 07:01 AM

the GNC shake is 3GM fat, 25GM protein and 17GM carb (8 GM fiber= net 11GM)

Lindy in Louisiana 03-19-2013 07:48 AM

Hey Newbie,
I'm one also. The best part of lc is being able to plan in advance. On the weekend plan to shop and prepare (chop, etc) and cook things for ea night. Cook enouch meats for several meals and package them for single servings for dinner and extra for lunches. I chop a lot of veggies (celery, radishes, peppers, etc.) and bag them for adding to meats or taking raw to lunch.

Another thing, google one minute muffins. They are nuked for 1 min and so quick and easy. Top w/ sf jelly or syrup. Today I added a few walnuts. Delish. Do a lot of checking this site. Especially the meal plans and the recipes. Everyone is so nice and helpful.

A little preplanning and this diet can be a lifestyle. When you fail (and everybody does) just start back the NEXT day. You really want this to work, right? Good luck. :shake:

Knittering 03-19-2013 07:55 AM

Honestly, I'd scrap that whole menu (except for the burger, chicken, and vegetables) and replace the frozen stuff and shakes with real food -- meat, eggs, healthy fats, etc. I'm totally with Lindy about pre-cooking foods. I always have hard-boiled eggs in the fridge, roasted peppers, deviled eggs, meat cooked in coconut oil, etc. I spend half of Sunday in the kitchen and then I'm set for the first part of the week.

Welcome, and good luck!

raindroproses 03-19-2013 11:18 AM

Wow, I'd definitely ditch the shake at the very least! I know the Atkins shakes weren't even that bad, and they honestly seemed to give me some trouble once I started drinking them.

If you're set on breakfast shakes (or even a shake for lunch) I'd highly recommend egg creams. I have one just about every day now that I started trying them, and they're fantastic! I use a chocolate protein powder from Body Logix brand (they also make vanilla) and they're really delicious and nutritious... whey protein, and only a few carbs per scoop. I use one raw egg, one scoop of protein powder, 2oz of HWC, and about 1/4 cup of water. Blend it until it's smooth :)

I know a lot of people prefer not doing shakes, but if you're someone who enjoys them that's a great way of getting one in and the whole thing is only 5 carbs for your breakfast. VERY filling too, and you can even blend it with ice to make it more milkshake-like.

Definitely skip the frozen meals though, and see if you can't fix something without all those preservatives! Even if it's just an egg scramble with some butter, a bit of meat, and some low carb veggies... it'll help you out a lot. The burgers sound good though so long as they're bunless :)

Strawberry 03-19-2013 01:59 PM

Basically I agree with the stuff written above..

RE: the GNC shake... thats a lot of carbs in one shake for someone doing a low carb diet.

The frozen dinners are ok, but not optimum. I've tried them, they taste "ok", they dont always fill me up. If you are in a huge hurry or cant cook or prep ahead, then sure have a frozen dinner. But if you can find the time to cook something simple its better. (its pretty easy to have some scrambled eggs or pan fry a piece of salmon and then microwave a bag of broccoli or pick up a rotisserie chicken with a salad)

tymom 03-19-2013 02:26 PM

we always cook up a batch of bacon and boil a bunch of eggs on the weekend. That way you always have SOMETHING to eat in a hurry! (throw it together with butter and nuke it for a moment... delish).

Also if you cook up chicken or something, make extra to have on hand. Tuna pouches are quick and easy and portable too.

Good luck.

reddarin 03-19-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lose4life (Post 16324141)
Hi everyone,

I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly and wanted to get some input on my daily menu.

B: protein shake (GNC)
L: Frozen Atkins Meal
S: fat bomb
D; Hamburger with cheese and vegetable. Or frozen atkins meal, or chicken with veges

Thank you

Theresa

How did you end up with this menu? You are pinched for time in the mornings and need something convenient for lunch at work?

Your menu looks low fat to me. Low fat low carb is not a good casual plan. And it looks very low in calories too which also has its own set of problems like metabolic slowdown and loss of lean body mass.

And the $60,000 question is... why do you ask? Has your weight loss slowed or are you just interested in other LC'rs input?

Gretalyn 03-19-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lose4life (Post 16324300)
the GNC shake is 3GM fat, 25GM protein and 17GM carb (8 GM fiber= net 11GM)

If you need something quick and convenient for breakfast, you can find or make better shakes than this. I don't eat shakes every day, but I do when I'm in a hurry. I make them with whey protein powder and either high-fat coconut milk that I get at the Asian market, or almond milk with a splash of heavy cream added. They have less carbs and a lot more fat than the GNC one. If you can't make shakes, the pre-made Atkins ones have a better profile than those.

I think you probably need considerably more fat in your diet to make low-carb successful and sustainable. Cooking fresh food when you can is definitely preferable, but convenient foods don't have to be the kiss of death. Just chose them wisely and you'll do fine.

snowdancer79 03-19-2013 04:48 PM

Not a sustainable menu by as far as I'm concerned. LC eating is a way of life, and you need to concentrate on finding whole, real foods that will nourish you. You can always make breakfasts and lunches the night before, and just reheat them if necessary. I think the best advise I've taken from this forum is to totally skip the inner aisles of the grocery store. Concentrate on meats, veggies, and dairy.

cfine 03-19-2013 05:03 PM

It sounds like you need quick meals. Here's my suggestions. One, someone mentioned the egg cream shake. I use these a lot. I will post my recipe at the end. It literally takes one minute to out together and blend. Two, instead of frozen meals, why don't you cook extra at dinner and then you will have lunch the next day. I don't think there's anything wrong with the meals, but the less processed the food, the better off you will be.

lose4life 03-19-2013 05:14 PM

Thank you all for your response. I will definately take your advice.

Knittering 03-19-2013 05:25 PM

*cheers*

Let us know if you need more help once you start your new menu!

lterry913 03-20-2013 07:48 AM

It appears you have lost 15 pounds so far...good for you...take the advice offered above and you will hopefully get as good or better results...real are food is so much better for you if you can do it....That being said if you have to do the Atkins meals to stay on plan, use them...the biggest worry for me would be the shake. There are a lot better choices out there for shakes if you just research it a little...good luck and kutgw.

haferchamp 03-20-2013 09:39 AM

I do a shake in the morning because I can't stomach food. Never have been a breakfast eater. The shake I use is called "Premier Protein", has 30 grams protein and 2 net grams carbs, and they don't seem to spike my blood sugars. I find them at Costco. They don't stay with me so have to eat something 2 hours later but at least I have something when I first wake up. I've tried the atkins meals and are ok when in a pinch but pretty much lacking. I also make up a huge salad mix each week and put in gallon baggies so I can reach in and grab a handful for each meal along with meat of some source. For snacks I keep salami rounds and cheese on hand, or a handful of macadamia nuts. Good luck. Keep tweaking until you find what works for you. :)