Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Seaweed? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799778-seaweed.html)

jazills 03-18-2013 07:43 PM

Seaweed?

Ok this maybe a little weird but a friend of mine had seaweed on the ship when we were on deployment and I tried it. Little did I know then it was LC.

I seen some today at the store and I thought well I really liked that when I had it before (just by itself). The kind I bought comes in sheets, and it's 10 calories, 1 carb, 0 sugar, 1 protein for 2 sheets. I think I'm going to get some miracle rice and make some sushi with shrimp in it. BUT all in all the seaweed is good by itself.

Anyone else try seaweed as a snack because that's what I'm going to be using it for.

picklepete 03-18-2013 07:53 PM

Yep! I often make tuna or salmon salad, cucumber spear, and banana pepper rolled in a nori sheet. Other popular types are kombu (for soup) and wakame (cold appetizer with sesame seeds). Prices at Asian markets will be better than Whole Foods/co-ops.

Jakelilydad 03-18-2013 08:00 PM

I've tried the dried seaweed as a snack. They are tasty, but not really filling. I like the idea of using them as a wrapper, though.

jazills 03-18-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklepete (Post 16323698)
Yep! I often make tuna or salmon salad, cucumber spear, and banana pepper rolled in a nori sheet. Other popular types are kombu (for soup) and wakame (cold appetizer with sesame seeds). Prices at Asian markets will be better than Whole Foods/co-ops.

This seems delicious as I adore banana peppers :)

HappyisNow 03-20-2013 07:22 AM

I love seaweed! Do you know that there are such a wide variety of seaweed types out there! You can put seaweed in soup, salads, stews, let your imagination go wild!! I eat both the nori sheets as snacks and as rolls, but there are others where you have to soak in water to let it plump up, those I throw i soups. Delicious!!!

Dottie 03-20-2013 07:33 AM

The miracle rice won't stick together or taste like sushi rice, at all.
I smear the Nori with cream cheese (soften and mix with a little unseasoned rice vinegar) in place of any rice and it works great :)

Shrinkingviolet 03-20-2013 07:57 AM

Great ideas! I had completely forgotten about nori! I gotta get some now :) speaking of seaweed, but not real seaweed, that 'crispy seaweed' stuff you get from Chinese takeaways is soooo delicious but they add sugar, but kale chips made with shredded kale tossed with oil and salt is identical and low carb :) I think I was the last person in the world to discover kale chips, lol!

Mule_Freak 03-20-2013 10:12 AM

Does it taste "fishy"? can a Low Thyroid person eat it? only ask because I know it has iodine in it and I was told be leary of iodine, thoughts? :shake:

raindroproses 03-20-2013 10:20 AM

It tastes a tiny bit less fishy than the nori sushi wrappers imo, but that's just me :) If you enjoy sushi you'd definitely enjoy those I'd think. The salting and roasting really brings out a great flavor, but I know a lot of people can't stand the taste if they're not into that seawater kind of thing.

I'm low thyroid for what it's worth, and while I wouldn't go CRAZY snacking on them and make it a staple of my diet, I've never had trouble with this or sushi. YMMV depending on how low your levels are, and how your condition is being maintained/monitored though. If you're really concerned you could always ask your doctor about adding it in as a "sometimes" snack and see what he says. Generally you'll be able to feel it though if something affects you negatively, and you can usually tell right away. I think the concern is too much iodine can make you go hyper instead of hypo... but it's never once happened to me. And in my high carb days I used to devour a LOT of sushi! :hyst:

picklepete 03-20-2013 10:22 AM

Iodine is best kept moderate in my understanding. Deficiency and overload are both problematic.

Mule_Freak 03-20-2013 11:33 AM

Thank you both for the info on iodine:hugs:

millergirl1976 03-20-2013 11:42 AM

Trader Joes has it too- regular and wasabi flavored. I LOVE the wasabi! It is a great thing to snack on when you are not "hungry" but just want to snack. The entire package has 60 calories, and two carbs, two fiber.

jazills 03-21-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16326242)
The miracle rice won't stick together or taste like sushi rice, at all.
I smear the Nori with cream cheese (soften and mix with a little unseasoned rice vinegar) in place of any rice and it works great :)

Thanks for the info, i just had the wheels turning in my head but the cream cheese sounds amazing too!!

:)

I'm glad I'm not the only one loving the seaweed over here :)

clackley 03-21-2013 09:43 AM

I love dulce which is just plain ol dried seaweed from the Atlantic coat. It still has 'crunchy' bits from the sea!