Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
WOE: JUDDD
Speaking of Gary Taubes, how is his other book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" ?
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
I really liked it. It gets into the science in more depth, and also covers subjects like cholesterol that are only touched on lightly in Why We Get Fat. It doesn't have as much practical advice as WWGF, though.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
I too have read the Diabetes Miracle and thought it was a good book. Very informative in regards to how insulin/glucose/blood sugars work. It made more sense to me than the others I have read. However, I don't know about her 3 stage approach to re-introducing more carbs back into your diet. I've been basically following her first stage low carb eating since December and it works for me so don't know if i'll incorporate more. It's a great read for those who are insulin resistant and to know that you don't have to progress to a full blown diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes if you catch it in time and start a low carb way of eating.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
It's the same information, using the same references, written more for those with a science background. WWGF is written as an "airplane book," like he says, for a wider audience.

Both are good, just geared for different audiences. And if you know someone who prefers the info in a lecture format with slides: Why We Get Fat - YouTube
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmileyf View Post
I'm part way through it. All makes sense so far.

I love the part where he says that if you want to make yourself hungry to prepare for a big meal you may cut your calories during the day and exercise to work up your appetite...
And if you want to lose weight...you also cut your calories and exercise...
I never thought of it that way!
Actually he says the opposite. He says exercise is great, but not for weight loss. He says it will actually increase your appetite.
Also, I have been zero carbs for many years and have not wasted away. Not yet at least!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yes, he is very clear about his belief in exercise for overall health, but also clear about the fact that it does not really contribute to weight loss. Which is the same conclusion that every legitimate study out there comes to.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #37
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Good calories/bad calories is a far more detailed book with a greater range of topics and detail. Both books are very well written and well worth reading.

Last edited by clackley; 03-23-2013 at 07:37 PM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
In one of the books, he discusses some research that were done on a genetically fat strain of mice. These mice put on more fat than the regular mice when allowed to eat what they wanted. Then when calorie restricted, they did lose weight but were still fatter than the regular mice. When forced to exercise and cut calories he found that they created emaciated mice, ie mice that had lost body fat and muscle mass as a result of exercise and calorie restriction. They deduced that these mice seem to have bodies that wanted to turn their food into fat, regardless of what they did, and the calorie restriction and exercise just did one of two things: forced the mice to reduce their energy level or give up some body mass to compensate (ie. lose muscle and fat mass) So it seemed to them that exercise and/or calorie restriction isn't going to turn genetically fat mice into lean mice.

Gary says in the book, and who knows if he is right, but he says you can't store body fat without dietary glucose. Which means not eating carbs if you don't want to store fat. Not too sure about the protein to glucose conversion though, I don't know if he has a theory on that. If you don't eat carbs you won't release insulin and store fat. That is ok if you have a lot of fat on your body, but I could see it being a problem if you don't have any to begin with. He says that genetically lean people burn fuel instead of storing fuel and that is why they remain lean. And these people are very skinny. He uses professional marathon runners as examples. Also there is no connection made between muscle mass and carbohydrate storage. It seems like insulin is required for building muscle mass. The books are great there are still some gaps for the LC diet that need addressing. I don't know if you really need to read the other book if you have read WWGF. Unless you really like to read about the research and theory, it goes into more detail but not as practical.

Last edited by Punkin; 03-24-2013 at 05:09 AM..
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote