Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
erin57 thanks for posting that film...I actually watched it. Very informative, sometimes scary, but glad that it supported the health benefits of lc.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
My latest cholesterol test came back with VERY high total number, but low trigs and high HDL. It was the LDL that was high and causing my total # to be so high.

I'm getting a calcium heart scan and an NMR test (similar to the VAP) to better see what's going on. From what I can tell, the calcium scan is a much better indicator/predictor of heart disease than any other test.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #63
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
My latest cholesterol test came back with VERY high total number, but low trigs and high HDL. It was the LDL that was high and causing my total # to be so high.

I'm getting a calcium heart scan and an NMR test (similar to the VAP) to better see what's going on. From what I can tell, the calcium scan is a much better indicator/predictor of heart disease than any other test.
Vilya, I wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss.... way to go!!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post

this is me also--high total-- high ldl-- but the rest is great with the high hdl and low trigs---i have always heard that if you have this you are most likely to have the fluffy kind of ldl-----i will have mine done again next month, and i have not been eating the best, so kind of scared of this years results----
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
avid,

Thank you for this post! It helped me make a decision I have been flip flopping over.

I was losing weight doing JUDDD for last year, then all of a sudden beginning of the year my body went nuts. I gained 30 pounds from Jan to march before I was able to stabilze the gain. I wasnt doing anything different. Was still running daily, still watching my calories and all that other stuff. Here it was a woman issue that caused everything that was happening. I mean even my hair was falling out in clumps!! Well anyway gynie made me get blood tests and that included a full lipid panel.........the results for all of it was a shocking cry fest! Seriously spend the last 4 weeks just crying at weird moments!

Anyway she made me go to my GP over the lipids. He was straight foward with no JUDDD back to LC. Which I did the very next day. He gave me Losartan for high BP....it was 161/98 pulse 98 in his office...normall that high outside too. In the short time I have been taking it, yesterday my blood pressure was 110/78 and my pulse was 64!!! So yeah!!

The other thing was he gave me script for generic lipitor.......I am 38 and dont want it!!! I have been back and forth in my mind. Then I look at the blood results and I know I need to take it!

Cholesterol 264 (High)
HDL 34 (low)
LDL 183 (High)
VLDL 47 (High)
Trig 234 (High)
Glucose 97 (normal/higher range)

Anyways, Reading your post here, you have help me decided to just take it for a while then try to come off it again. Though with family history I am not sure that will be possible. But you have done all this with what seems like a straight back and a good attidute, so I think I will follow your example! Thank you!!!

My GP is very pro Atkins. Which is sometimes hard to find in a doctor, thats why I started going to him years ago. He said he thinks the JUDDD was allowing me to eat the sugars and carbs that my body doesnt want, and those numbers are it protesting what I was doing. He said back to LC add in steel cut oats and fish oil, and take the lipitor and in July we will see where we are when he restests my blood. Oh yeah and to quit smoking! I only smoke a few but he said a study showed few for a woman was worse than a pack a day! SO quit yesterday.....and its hurting today!!! lol!!

I have to take the Losartan for a full 2 weeks before I can add the lipitor so I will fill that and start it next week. The losartan is making me a feel like I am walking in water and I know I cant run right now (scared I will pass out and no one will find me lol!!), but GP said that will pass as my body gets used to it. I started out with half a pill and was fine, but yesterday started the whole pill and that started the funny head feeling! lol!

Anyways once again Thank you Avid! I will follow your cue and do what I have to do for myself and hopefully its all good and I can come back off the statin!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!

Last edited by krow134; 05-10-2013 at 08:48 AM..
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

krow134....It's always nice to hear that by sharing something, someone else was helped.
It's really what LCF is all about.
While it's true IMHO that statins are probably the most over prescribed drugs on the market (second only to antibiotics) there are some people for whom they are indeed indicated. My dad died of a heart attack at age 48. It's pretty clear to me that my genetic make up makes me a candidate for heart disease. I do read the disputes regarding cholesterol and heart disease, but doctors I trust tell me I need the statins so I take them.
When I don't my LDL and especially my trigs go through the roof.
So, I take my lipitor and my tricor as prescribed. But I will stay on top of this.
My hope is that when I finally stop losing fat, and that day is coming soon, that I will try and cut back on the meds. Untill then, I do what I believe is the best thing.
LC woe, exercise, and following my doctors advice.
Good luck to you.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #67
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Krow134, you might want to look into the supplement Berberine as an alternative to a statin.

I've been researching safe, natural alternatives for my mom (trying to get her off statins) and the studies give impressive results. Berberine has been shown to lower LDL & triglycerides. It seems to have a long list of health benefits including lowering blood sugar & blood pressure.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
My doctor said out right, he didnt want to give me the statins. He said at my age and all that it might be a bad idea. But my numbers are horrible for a 38 year old, coupled with the fact of hormone issues and that I do exercise and eat somewhat healthy, he thinks I also need the help of the statins. My dad had his first heart attack in his forties, his 4th heart attack came last year at 63. Two of my grandfathers died of heart attacks, one only being like 41-43 years old! So I am seeming to take after them. He said also me being a woman, statins dont necessarily prevent a heart attack for me, but will give me a fighting chance. So he even had to weigh pro's and con's before writing that script. I will take it and see what happens and hopefully can come back off of it sooner rather than later, but I will also look at natural helpers in the meantime too! I figured if he had such a hard time deciding it might be my best interest after all, you know.

Last edited by krow134; 05-10-2013 at 07:20 PM..
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
Heard on dr. Oz the other day about using plant sterols to lower cholesterol ... My total is 270 and I'm at a good weight, eat clean / low carb and exercise. I'm going to do a 2 or 3 month experiment and see if it works.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Heard on dr. Oz the other day about using plant sterols to lower cholesterol ... My total is 270 and I'm at a good weight, eat clean / low carb and exercise. I'm going to do a 2 or 3 month experiment and see if it works.
Did he give specifics?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote