Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stuart0407
Starting Atkins

Hi there I'm new to these forums and i was wondering if anyone who has recently started on the Atkins diet can tell me how easy/hard it is to follow.

I have quite a bit of weight to lose and decided now's the time. I have used diets in the past and once had quite a good loss with the slimming world diet my wife was following, but managed to put it all back on and actually add quite a bit more

I have heard Atkins is a good way to shift a lot of weight, I'm just concerned about whether or not it's easy to follow.

thanks in advance
Stuart
stuart0407 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
I'm personally not following Atkins, but a low carb diet in general. I can say though, that anything worth having isn't going to be easy. This is a major lifestyle change, not just a diet. Diets are temporary, so you can't expect to be go low carb, lose all the weight you want, and continue to eat like you used to. To me this lifestyle is pretty much effortless, I lost 40 lbs 2 years ago. Then I spiraled downhill back into a high carb lifestyle and gained it all back and then some. Here I am, starting all over. If you want to those weight bad enough, this is the place to be. Not only for weight loss but for your life. Also, you've come to the right place for support because there are some amazingly supportive and knowledgeable people around here. If you ever feel like you want to quit or it's too hard, come here, vent your frustration and we can pull you through the hard times.

WELCOME ABOARD!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart0407 View Post
Hi there I'm new to these forums and i was wondering if anyone who has recently started on the Atkins diet can tell me how easy/hard it is to follow.

I have quite a bit of weight to lose and decided now's the time. I have used diets in the past and once had quite a good loss with the slimming world diet my wife was following, but managed to put it all back on and actually add quite a bit more

I have heard Atkins is a good way to shift a lot of weight, I'm just concerned about whether or not it's easy to follow.

thanks in advance
Stuart
Personally, for me, eating low carb was too restrictive and I realized after a few weeks that I just could not eat that way for the rest of my life. I did some research and discovered JUDDD, which ended up being the perfect fit for me and I can be content doing it for the rest of my life However, there's lots of people who have had great success with Atkins/lc, so I think the best thing to do is to just spend some time on this site learning about all the different woe's represented here, and then decide which one is a good fit for you.

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kenna85
Stats: 196/174/150
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: 18Mar2013
I'm starting this week too! You can totally do it! I've done this WOE before and it's worked really well. But, I let my life and "busyness" get in the way of healthy eating. So, here I go again!

Be well.
Kenna85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Invest in the latest Atkins book and read it. Your chances of success when you first start out are much better, I think, if you follow a defined plan rather than an amalgam of what you read on the internet and the often contradictory advice given.

Why We Get Fat by Taubes and Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis are also two books that you should read.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
I'm doing induction right now! I love the first phase of atkins, because that's where you awaken the beast(your body's furnace)! I will stay in phase one for a couple months (I figure). This phase is the lowest and most restrictive, but in that I find a bit of comfort. I like to stock my fridge up with a couple things and live off it for a while.

Phase One: 20 carbs a day (no more),
meat is an unlimited supply,
cheese 3 oz a day,
Veggies (either 3 cups of salad greens or 2 cups salad greens and one cup slightly carby veggies -broccoli-cauliflour-squash-zucchini-tomatoes- Green bell)
Stay away from corn,potatoes, onions, peas, carrots, yellow squash, legumes(beans), yellow and red bell peppers
no fruit of any kind
no dairy other than cheese (meaning no milk because lactose is a sugar)
NO sugar, pasta, bread, muffins, breading, flour, ketchup, most condiments (mayo and mustard are ok),
Stay away from the processed foods (no shakes, bars, meals) If you don't make it, don't eat it.

Hope that helps!
My JUDDD info Thread
Come Read My Weight Loss Journal!
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abitobeef
I agree get the book. The foods are fairly restrictive,but you want to lose weight right?
abitobeef is offline   Reply With Quote