Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Starting Atkins (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799625-starting-atkins.html)

stuart0407 03-18-2013 03:15 AM

Starting Atkins

Hi there I'm new to these forums and i was wondering if anyone who has recently started on the Atkins diet can tell me how easy/hard it is to follow.

I have quite a bit of weight to lose and decided now's the time. I have used diets in the past and once had quite a good loss with the slimming world diet my wife was following, but managed to put it all back on and actually add quite a bit more :sad:

I have heard Atkins is a good way to shift a lot of weight, I'm just concerned about whether or not it's easy to follow.

thanks in advance
Stuart :)

jazills 03-18-2013 03:51 AM

I'm personally not following Atkins, but a low carb diet in general. I can say though, that anything worth having isn't going to be easy. This is a major lifestyle change, not just a diet. Diets are temporary, so you can't expect to be go low carb, lose all the weight you want, and continue to eat like you used to. To me this lifestyle is pretty much effortless, I lost 40 lbs 2 years ago. Then I spiraled downhill back into a high carb lifestyle and gained it all back and then some. Here I am, starting all over. If you want to those weight bad enough, this is the place to be. Not only for weight loss but for your life. Also, you've come to the right place for support because there are some amazingly supportive and knowledgeable people around here. If you ever feel like you want to quit or it's too hard, come here, vent your frustration and we can pull you through the hard times.

WELCOME ABOARD!!!

mom23kids 03-18-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart0407 (Post 16321724)
Hi there I'm new to these forums and i was wondering if anyone who has recently started on the Atkins diet can tell me how easy/hard it is to follow.

I have quite a bit of weight to lose and decided now's the time. I have used diets in the past and once had quite a good loss with the slimming world diet my wife was following, but managed to put it all back on and actually add quite a bit more :sad:

I have heard Atkins is a good way to shift a lot of weight, I'm just concerned about whether or not it's easy to follow.

thanks in advance
Stuart :)

Personally, for me, eating low carb was too restrictive and I realized after a few weeks that I just could not eat that way for the rest of my life. I did some research and discovered JUDDD, which ended up being the perfect fit for me and I can be content doing it for the rest of my life :) However, there's lots of people who have had great success with Atkins/lc, so I think the best thing to do is to just spend some time on this site learning about all the different woe's represented here, and then decide which one is a good fit for you.

:welcome:

Kenna85 03-18-2013 09:31 AM

I'm starting this week too! You can totally do it! I've done this WOE before and it's worked really well. But, I let my life and "busyness" get in the way of healthy eating. So, here I go again!

Be well.

reddarin 03-18-2013 10:39 AM

Invest in the latest Atkins book and read it. Your chances of success when you first start out are much better, I think, if you follow a defined plan rather than an amalgam of what you read on the internet and the often contradictory advice given.

Why We Get Fat by Taubes and Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis are also two books that you should read.

Rebecca1979 03-18-2013 10:40 AM

I'm doing induction right now! I love the first phase of atkins, because that's where you awaken the beast(your body's furnace)! I will stay in phase one for a couple months (I figure). This phase is the lowest and most restrictive, but in that I find a bit of comfort. I like to stock my fridge up with a couple things and live off it for a while.

Phase One: 20 carbs a day (no more),
meat is an unlimited supply,
cheese 3 oz a day,
Veggies (either 3 cups of salad greens or 2 cups salad greens and one cup slightly carby veggies -broccoli-cauliflour-squash-zucchini-tomatoes- Green bell)
Stay away from corn,potatoes, onions, peas, carrots, yellow squash, legumes(beans), yellow and red bell peppers
no fruit of any kind
no dairy other than cheese (meaning no milk because lactose is a sugar)
NO sugar, pasta, bread, muffins, breading, flour, ketchup, most condiments (mayo and mustard are ok),
Stay away from the processed foods (no shakes, bars, meals) If you don't make it, don't eat it.

Hope that helps!

abitobeef 03-18-2013 11:07 AM

I agree get the book. The foods are fairly restrictive,but you want to lose weight right?