Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Water retention, Miralax, and another question... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799588-water-retention-miralax-another-question.html)

raindroproses 03-17-2013 10:02 AM

Water retention, Miralax, and another question...

I've been trying to figure out what's causing me to pack on weight lately, and since everyone's been suggesting it's probably water... I'm trying to decide what's going on with that now!

Has anyone had water weight gain with Miralax? I'm talking 2-3 pounds here. That's the only thing I've done differently this week, and I've already tried cutting my sodium down. I drink plenty of water, so I'm thinking the Miralax may be the issue... I googled it, but not much information came up on it. I was just wondering if anyone here has noticed their scale jump after beginning to take it, since I noticed it's supposed to cause you to retain water in bowels to make it easier to go.

Also... what was the rule of thumb on water intake exactly? I thought someone recommended drinking half of your body weight in ounces, but for me that would be about 80oz and that doesn't seem like a whole lot. I've probably been drinking MORE than that, so I doubt a lack of water is causing me to retain it :laugh:

Leo41 03-17-2013 01:39 PM

I take Miralax (my gastro recommends it), and I've never noticed any water retention--and I happen to be very prone to water retention.

My gastro explained that the Miralax works on redistributing the body's water to soften stools--i.e., it doesn't 'add' water but has an effect on the water already in one's system.

raindroproses 03-17-2013 04:51 PM

Hmmm... and here I thought I figured out my trouble :confused:

Thank you for your input! I really doubt your doctor would have put you on something that could cause water retention if it's a common side effect, so I'm guessing it may not be the Miralax after all then. After reading the description of what it did, it just sounded like it fit the bill... but it's back to the old drawing board it looks like.

Bodies are such puzzles sometimes!

JMacB 03-17-2013 08:01 PM

So sometimes I cut back on salt and have water bloat. Which makes no sense AT ALL but I mentioned it to my friend who is a doctor and he said it can happen that way, too. Basically, throw the sodium balance out of whack and our cells get all freaked out.

Like you said, bodies are puzzles.

girl81 03-17-2013 09:20 PM

I believe each body is diff. I personally tend to retain water with anything of the laxative nature.

raindroproses 03-18-2013 02:16 PM

I wonder if I'm the same way then... I've given myself 3 days on Miralax and I haven't noticed a dip in the scale at all yet. Cut back a bit on sodium from what I was having before too, and drank plenty of water.

Maybe I'll experiment and cut it out and see if I get rid of those few pounds!