LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: focus83
Stats: 316.5/292.25/285
WOE: 30g carbs or less
Start Date: 01/01/2013
What counts as Fat?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but i think i might not be eating enough fat. So what counts as Fat?

I did try to search for it on here but couldnt find anything.

Basically i read on another site that you should eat 65% fat/ 30% protein and 5% carbs. However i mostly eat meat for fat and that doesnt make sense in that ratio. x

Last edited by focus83; 03-14-2013 at 05:49 AM..
focus83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Well, let's see ...

butter
olive oil (any oil really)
coconut oil
fat in meat
nuts

I would try using an online food calcluator to track your ratios. I am math-challenged and love just plugging in my foods.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
And avocado!
And mayo.

I also struggle to eat that much fat because I don't like fatty meats or veggies in butter.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Cream
Cream cheese
sour cream
clabbered cream/ creme fraiche
clotted cream
bacon grease
lard/suet/schmalz (pork, beef, chicken fat) (you ARE saving your meat drippings for cooking later, rather than throwing them out, right?)

Also, some cheeses are very high in fat, like brie.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
lard/suet/schmalz (pork, beef, chicken fat) (you ARE saving your meat drippings for cooking later, rather than throwing them out, right?)
No i havent been can i ask what you do with them?

see i dont think i am having enough of any of these, i probably eat cheese/cream cheese the most and thats it. And fry steak in butter but i havent had mayo in the last 2 months. Thank you for all your replies, really helped to see what i am not eating enough of. x
Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
Check the ingredients on everything for added sugars. Most mayo has HFCS added.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
avocado blended with almond milk makes a great high fat smoothie!
you can add flax meal to lots of things
coconut oil in coffee
butter in/on anything
macadamia nuts (eat plain or chop up, mix with butter, coat mahi mahi in it and pan fry- omg delicious!)
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus83 View Post
No i havent been can i ask what you do with them?

see i dont think i am having enough of any of these, i probably eat cheese/cream cheese the most and thats it. And fry steak in butter but i havent had mayo in the last 2 months. Thank you for all your replies, really helped to see what i am not eating enough of. x
I buy whatever meat is least expensive that week, so some weeks it's chicken thighs and some weeks it's pork shoulder. Both are pretty fatty. I cook the pork in the slow cooker, and it leaves behind a lovely broth and some fat. I cook the chicken thighs on a cooling rack over a shallow cookie sheet, and a lot of fat drips down on the pan.

I pour that into a container and refridgerate, then remove the fat that hardens on top to a separate container.

I have a container for pork fat and one for chicken. (most beef is pretty lean, so I don't get beef fat as often).

I use these for cooking meat and eggs. Chicken fat, especially, is really nice on veggies. It doesn't have an overwhelming flavor like pork can.

Basically anywhere you would use butter, you can use your "dripping". In fact, in some cultures they eat "bread and dripping" as a meal: bread spread with animal fat and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Dripping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I haven't gone that far (mostly because I don't eat the bread anymore), but I do use my animal fat for cooking. It's cheaper than butter. I use butter when I want a particular flavor.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Personally, I have never worried about 'adding' fat because I believe that I get sufficient fat from my foods, and the butter or EVOO that I use in their preparation.

Egg yolks are high fat, and there's fat in all meats. I tend to eat a lot of wild salmon, one of the fattiest fish--with healthy Omega 3 fats.

I use butter in the preparation of my eggs and omelets, and EVOO (with garlic) on my vegetables and as the base of my homemade salad dressing (with vinegar).

Once in a while, I'll treat myself to some peanut or coconut butter.

Fat is simply part of any low-carb WOE--unless a person deliberately restricts fat.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
You should track your intake on an online free tracking resource. In your example, meat does have fat in it, and protein in it, so you are getting some of both of those categories. Depending on the meat, the percentages will vary. You can also up your fat intake with some of the other suggestions in this thread. Does that make sense?
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I eat a lot of eggs, and that definitely adds plenty of fat to my diet. Dr Atkins said that eggs are the perfect combination of fat and protein, and you can do so much with them that I haven't gotten tired of them.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
You should track your intake on an online free tracking resource. In your example, meat does have fat in it, and protein in it, so you are getting some of both of those categories. Depending on the meat, the percentages will vary. You can also up your fat intake with some of the other suggestions in this thread. Does that make sense?
Yes this makes perfect sense. I was just worried i was eating more protein than fat which could be why i havent got into that ketosis stage as i still get hungry.

I am losing weight but i want to maximise this and see if i am going wrong anywhere. For one thing i really dont eat that much extra fat. Not sure if that could be a reason or not. Most of my fat is from using butter to cook meat. Or cheese.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Being hungry doesn't necessarily mean you're not in ketosis. I have never had the appetite suppression that other people experience with ketosis. I can always eat.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
You can always make fat bombs and enjoy one of those on your lower fat days. I just made some and added walnuts/macadamia nuts to the chocolate/coconut goodness and they taste like fudge.
ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You want your fat to come from natural sources so be wary of pre made mayo and salad dressings. It is best to make your own in order to control the ingredients.

The suggestion from Millergirl to use an on line food tracker is great. It is a bit of a 'learning curve' but you will become a more savy low carber. You may find that you are eating more fat than you think.

In the end, the percentages that you quote may be accurate but what is more important (in my opinion), is the actual grams of each ... Protein, fat and carbs.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Being hungry doesn't necessarily mean you're not in ketosis. I have never had the appetite suppression that other people experience with ketosis. I can always eat.
Ditto.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote