LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SparkysBrat
Stats: 245/230/140
WOE: Low Carb my own way
Start Date: January 13th, 2011
Hey!! Starting Again After Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Hey everyone!! I have been off the boards since my Breast Cancer last March. I was 32 years old. StageIIa. I have had 9 surgeries since June, Chemo, and have 2 more surgeries to go. With lying in bed, being in a ton of pain, and all the steroids I have had to take, I have gained a ton of weight back. I am back up to 230. Which is not good due to the Estrogen+ cancer I had. I am going to need a ton of support. I was just wondering if there is anyone else young like me doing this after a BC diagnosis? And if the Tamoxifen will make it harder as it is an anti-estrogen? Missed it here!!!
SparkysBrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome back SprarksBrat. Sorry to hear of your health problems but I am sure you will get losts of support here so post often!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Welcome back and look up ketogenic diets and affect on cancer...ketogenic diets are supposed to be great for helping starve cancer.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Welcome back and good luck! I'm glad to hear that you're doing well.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Hey there. I was diagnosed with stage IIa bc at age 34. It's hard not to gain weight on those steroids. I am triple negative, so don't take estrogen, but it might not adversely affect you. It seems to be different for everyone. Good luck and hang in there.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillykimmie
Stats: 223/192/140
WOE: Atkins induction!!!
Start Date: Re restart date 8-14-12
I don't have any specific advice but I want to say welcome back!
Wishing you continued healing and a speedy weight loss.
sillykimmie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I'm sorry you've had such a rough time. There's another woman here who has been very open about her battle with breast cancer. Her screen name is pooticus, and she has an awesome blog called Fluffy Chix Cooks. I know she would inspire and support you. Best wishes!
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shmabby
Hi,
While I'm not in your age group, I'm 55 I'm dealing with similar stuff. I was diagnosed around Thanksgiving time. Had several surgeries. Am triple positive and HER2+ and just did my second chemo yesterday.

I'm also on steroids which not only helps with weight gain, but raises blood sugar, and I have diabetes so I've had to increase my metformin, and blood pressure.

I'm currently doing taxotere, herceptin, and carboplatin. I'll be doing herceptin transfusions for 12 months. When I finish the current chemo I'll start daily radiation.

The meds - keeping track of them makes me nuts

It seems not a week goes by w/o my "needing" more meds for one thing or another.

I wish you a complete healing.
shmabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillykimmie
Stats: 223/192/140
WOE: Atkins induction!!!
Start Date: Re restart date 8-14-12
Prayers to you too, Shmabby!
sillykimmie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

you know, I've reached the conclusion (obviously it may change but today I believe it FULLY

breast cancer is just so (*%#)(*$% common and it crosses so many groups I don't think they know what causes/prevents it other than when they know for a fact it's genetic.

I've been eating low carb almost 90% of the time (and excercising regularly) for at least the past 14 years (maybe longer).

My uninformed .02, while we can try to make decisions that we think are healthy I don't think we can prevent cancer from happening. Perhaps we can minimize the odds - I don't know.

I know this, "they" harp on weight but if it were that simple then ONLY fat people would have cancer and that is clearly NOT true.

I think as we age are odds for cancer increase. Kind of sucks.
I read a stat that India has a disproportionate low rate of cancer and researchers are wondering if it's because tumeric (first ingredient in curry) is so widely consumed there.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmabby View Post
you know, I've reached the conclusion (obviously it may change but today I believe it FULLY

breast cancer is just so (*%#)(*$% common and it crosses so many groups I don't think they know what causes/prevents it other than when they know for a fact it's genetic.

I've been eating low carb almost 90% of the time (and excercising regularly) for at least the past 14 years (maybe longer).

My uninformed .02, while we can try to make decisions that we think are healthy I don't think we can prevent cancer from happening. Perhaps we can minimize the odds - I don't know.

I know this, "they" harp on weight but if it were that simple then ONLY fat people would have cancer and that is clearly NOT true.

I think as we age are odds for cancer increase. Kind of sucks.
I read a stat that India has a disproportionate low rate of cancer and researchers are wondering if it's because tumeric (first ingredient in curry) is so widely consumed there.
Hope this doesn't sound 'flip' but when you say low carb, does that mean ketogenic? I just wonder because the definition is so widely varied but ketogenic is definitive.

Last edited by clackley; 03-15-2013 at 06:48 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
QEB
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: QEB
Stats: 282/271/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Started over again Mar 11,2013
wishing you all the best in your treatment and recovery.
QEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I realize in industrialized countries (particularly USA), long life means more cancer but I believe that was taken into account on the statistics on India, ie, this was true for India but NOT other "3d world countries such as places in Africa, etc). They were looking for something specific to India so tumeric popped up.

No definately NOT ketogenic, when I say for 14+ years I've eaten low carb I mean 90+% of the time my daily carb count was under 100. I realize for some here that's not low carb but it is relatively to the sad SAD.

For a while (honestly don't know how long, over a year), I've eliminated 99% of wheat from my diet.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

You know, I laid awake last night worrying that I had given the hint that you did something wrong and that is so not right. I think we all want to find the answer to the puzzle of cancer and the myriad of other metabolic illnesses that are a plague right now. No one gives themselves cancer. We all make the best decisions we can given the circumstances and we can't know what if any one thing was a causal factor because it takes years for cancers to take hold. I have read up to 25 yrs.

Having been low carb (and I think 100g 'qualifies') would have given you a better chance in my opinion. The question about being ketogenic does make a difference but I am not suggesting that you didn't do it 'well enough' or anything of that nature.

I am so sorry that you are facing this challenge and fervently hope for a really great outcome. I have a friend who was also diagnosed very recently, had surgery and is now just beginning treatments. It is so unfair and brutal.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Clakley,
I'm sooooo sorry if I gave you that impression.

Again, outside of families where it seems everyone gets hit with cancer, i really think the "experts" just don't know.

All we can do is try/or not to live as best as we know how.
Different paths

I don't second guess my choices nor do I attribute anything nefarious to your post.

With the exception of maybe one week in my life I've always been overweight.
I can almost understand what chemical addictions are like (alcohol, drug, tobacco) because that's how I am with food.

I try to cook healthy and clean (to me that means organic when I have the $, seldom eat out, grass fed beef, low carb, eliminate wheat etc blah blah)

But I just eat too )(*%#)(*%#)(*% much
Clearly I need to be taller

Re the cancer - I'm not dwelling on would have/could have/should have - seems totally nonproductive.

As it is now moving forward from as nutritional aspect managing kidney stone, cancer, and diabetes is just a minefield of contradictory tips/advice.

I'm learning to not sweat the small stuff. If there was ONE definitive answer it would be easier to hit the target, cause at least there'd be ONE target.

That person would be a gazilionaire.

I think (and yes I've read/am reading too many books on the subject) overweight and the causes are a mystery. It's not just eat less/move more.
Some of us just have a much tougher time with it.

If i could maintain my weight at 40 lbs OVER what it should be, I'd be one happy camper.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

You have nothing to be sorry about so don't waste another second on that.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lewlew48
I am sorry to hear about this! I am 51 and was diagnosed at 46 with breast cancer (masectomy and tamoxifen) I also have hypothyroidism/goiter removal. So for me it is a double whammy in terms of metabolism but I have found as long as I keep it as healthy as possible, I have been successful in keeping weight at bay (ironically, I was following a keto/atkins like diet, dropped weight and found an initial lump because of it!) I do not eat processed foods with the exception of certain protein powders, avoid all sugars-not even doing stevia right now, limit dairy, limit legumes, limit fruits but have occasional berries, eat clean proteins and lots and lots of vegetables and healthy fats-coconut, avocado, etc. I actually eat more now than ever before. Although it sounds severe, it really is not for me. Good luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery. If there is anything else,please don't hesitate to contact me!
lewlew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
So sorry to hear about your battle with the big C. Hope you are feeling better. Welcome back to the low carb lifestyle
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: laniereed
Stats: 129/127/118
WOE: ketogenic
Start Date: 12/2012
Have any of u heard about Elaine Cantin's Ketogenic diet for cancer and type 1 diabetes? Check out her Facebook page and her book on Amazon.
laniereed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

i'm sure this is not going to be a popular opinion but at this point I'd rather trust my oncologist.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #21
Chatty Cathy

That is really understandable. It would be interesting to know what your oncologist thought of ketogenic diets as a supplementary strategy though....???
Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmabby View Post
i'm sure this is not going to be a popular opinion but at this point I'd rather trust my oncologist.
It's absolutely popular with me. He or she lives this, does the research and has the knowledge and experience. Wishing you complete healing!
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

i just spoke with endocrynologist who is very happy that so far my steroids have not wrecked havoc with my bs (but I am on 1,000 mg extended release metformin now)

The following is from me NOT from a dr (that's the warning)
I do NOT think I can sustain a ketogenic diet for life.

I've recently read/am reading 3 different cookbooks all by same author Rebecca Katz - focus is on whole foods.

I'm going to do this. Concentrate on veggies - some fruits, minimal grains (of which 95-95% oats), some beef (mostly grass fed), some fish, some chicken, some dairy, mostly organic.

am not coming out with a platform pro/con stevia, fillers, sucralose etc.

I don't know if we can prevent cancer based upon diet.
I will do lower carb forever but I will be consuming lower protein, lower fat.

It makes me feel good.