Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I can have pancakes and still lose??? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799394-i-can-have-pancakes-still-lose.html)

Kellylock 03-13-2013 08:49 PM

I can have pancakes and still lose???

I did Atkins several years ago lost 60 and then fell off the wagon all I ate was meat and veggies and I am a meat and potatoes kind of girl if you know what I mean. Tonight I was on Atkins site and someone mentioned this site and imagine my shock when I hit that shop button. So can you really eat that stuff as long as you stay under carb count and still lose??? Thanks kel

Mistizoom 03-13-2013 09:42 PM

:welcome:

I guess my answer is "maybe". Some of the "low carb" pancake mixes are actually quite high carb for many of us on here. Each person has a different level of carbohydrates that they can eat and still lose. Some people can eat those pancake mixes and some can't. I have bought them for my son but I don't eat them myself. However, there are pancakes you can make that are much lower carb (see the "Fantastic Flour Mix" threads in the Recipes forum). But, I would recommend that if you are thinking of starting this way of eating again, you read about one or more solid plans (such as Atkins) and think more about the foods you can and will be able to eat than those you can't. I have been eating low carb four months now and I don't miss any of the carby foods I used to be addicted to. It is very freeing to choose to eat this way and not to have your body telling you to eat something that isn't good for you. For me, cutting carbs have made those types of cravings essentially disappear. It's a great thing and the way I plan to eat for the rest of my life.

ravenrose 03-13-2013 10:16 PM

yeah, I would say experiment with care. you are better off looking at the recipe area and finding things people here do that really work.

depends on your body. at first, best to be pretty plain, I think. then when you add in low carb treats, you will really appreciate them rather than comparing them to the "real thing" which you so recently had... those pancakes are NOT going to be the same as flour ones, I'm sure you know. some of the products and recipes are a better substitute for high carb foods than others!

Strawberry 03-13-2013 10:20 PM

Try this: Mix 3 oz of cream cheese with 2 eggs. Add a packet of splenda. Then use this mix as you would pancake batter to make pancakes.

They are more delicate, so cook over a little bit lower heat than normal pancakes.

Serve with some whipped cream on top. If you are at the point of adding in berries they are yummy here too.

cfine 03-14-2013 05:47 AM

I eat pancakes made from coconut flour and I use sf syrup on top.

Krissy2010 03-14-2013 06:59 AM

If you're dying for pancakes, use this recipe! I ate these till I burned myself out on them while on Induction and stilled lost weight!
2 eggs
2 tablespoons of cream cheese
1 pump of sugar free vanilla syrup or if you dont have this use a splash of vanilla extract and a packet of Splenda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Mix all together in a blender of mix by hand. Cook over medium heat in a pan with butter. It makes four pancakes and is one serving. I eat them with some butter and sugar free maple syrup!

lisamt 03-14-2013 11:07 AM

Almond flour pancakes are pretty good, and low in carbs.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...l#post14303709

MaryMary 03-14-2013 01:07 PM

2 oz soy flour and 1 egg, a pinch of baking soda and salt makes a high protein pancake that is pretty good with s/f syrup. You could add a pinch of cinnamon if you like that

TheSouthernPrincess 03-14-2013 01:14 PM

It's not really pancakes, but I saw someone make french toast with oopsie rolls. So that might be an option :)

Kellylock 03-15-2013 06:02 PM

Thank you so much for all the advice. I am going to try some of these.

MaryMary 03-15-2013 07:18 PM

I forgot to mention that some folks add a bit of sweetener to the batter.

melkhamilton 07-02-2013 04:39 PM

I know this is an old thread (from March) but I wanted to add the pancakes that really work for me, and really taste and "feel" like pancakes to me.

1 scoop vanilla whey powder
1 egg
1/2 stick butter
3-6 drops liquid Splenda
tiny splash vanilla extract
splash of any other flavors you may like - i.e. banana extract

1. Melt the butter.

2. Add the whey next. If you don't, the warm/hot butter may pre-cook the egg.

3. Add the Splenda and your extracts.

4. Mix until blended; don't over-mix.

5. Whisk the egg a little with a fork, then add to the mixture. Mix until blended.

6. Grease a pan with butter and get the pan very hot on medium heat.

7. Add your batter in about 4 pancakes or as many as you want depending on size.

8. Cook until bottom is lightly brown (lift just slightly with spatula), then turn over. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan and enjoy!

Tonight I'm having "banana" pancakes w/SF caramel syrup from dessert, mmmm.

Sunny7 07-03-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glendora (Post 16497473)
I know this is an old thread (from March) but I wanted to add the pancakes that really work for me, and really taste and "feel" like pancakes to me.

1 scoop vanilla whey powder
1 egg
1/2 stick butter
3-6 drops liquid Splenda
tiny splash vanilla extract
splash of any other flavors you may like - i.e. banana extract

1. Melt the butter.

2. Add the whey next. If you don't, the warm/hot butter may pre-cook the egg.

3. Add the Splenda and your extracts.

4. Mix until blended; don't over-mix.

5. Whisk the egg a little with a fork, then add to the mixture. Mix until blended.

6. Grease a pan with butter and get the pan very hot on medium heat.

7. Add your batter in about 4 pancakes or as many as you want depending on size.

8. Cook until bottom is lightly brown (lift just slightly with spatula), then turn over. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan and enjoy!

Tonight I'm having "banana" pancakes w/SF caramel syrup from dessert, mmmm.

I just use the protein powder and 1 egg---I have flavored PP, one is banana nut, and one is fresh cinnamon roll, I do add cinnamon and fry in coconut oil---but you're right the pan has to be hot----I also like them with vanilla protein,i just add cinnamon and some flavorings---these are delicious when hungry for pancakes, which I could eat everyday with a side of sausage----I would like to try it with a little cream cheese, and I have added pumpkin to the vanilla PP---yummy!!

Spanilingo 07-03-2013 06:36 PM

I would say people who use those products use them occasionally as a way to add variety to help them stick to a primarily clean diet.

melkhamilton 07-04-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny7 (Post 16499095)
I just use the protein powder and 1 egg---I have flavored PP, one is banana nut, and one is fresh cinnamon roll, I do add cinnamon and fry in coconut oil---but you're right the pan has to be hot----I also like them with vanilla protein,i just add cinnamon and some flavorings---these are delicious when hungry for pancakes, which I could eat everyday with a side of sausage----I would like to try it with a little cream cheese, and I have added pumpkin to the vanilla PP---yummy!!

Pumpkin, YUM. I am definitely making pumpkin pancakes come fall!

Aomiel 07-05-2013 07:56 AM

Maybe. I struggled with eating low carb when I tried to eat foods that, while legal, mimicked high carb foods. It just put the taste back in my mouth and set of the psychological cravings. It's why I also avoid artificial sweeteners.

If you use them, I'd do so as a one time weekly treat because every carb you tie up in these mock carb foods, the fewer you have for the vegies that you really need for good nutrition.

MaryMary 07-05-2013 11:23 AM

That's why when I do use soy flour, it is infrequently. But the soy flour is high in protein and I use it in place of a meal protein. 1 oz soyflour = 1 oz meat or egg.

Sharss 07-05-2013 12:27 PM

I won't go anywhere close to anything soy.

After reading "The Coconut Oil Miracle" by Bruce Fife, I learned the damage done to the American people due to the ASA (American Soybean Association). It's thanks to them, their political movement, and media blitz that we lost the benefits of most foods/restaurants using coconut oil.

I suggest googling the subject and find out for yourselves. Google "The Soy Deception".

MaryMary 07-06-2013 03:24 AM

Sharon, thank you for the input. I use coconut oil and soy products with no harmful effects. Each to her own. Everything in moderation.