Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Frustrating Restaurant Experiences

Has anyone had any particularly frustrating restaurant experiences since starting their current WOE?

Mostly so far it's been the occasional situation where a restaurant refuses to substitute sides for me despite telling them I'm gluten free, and I've had to wind up ordering extra food while wasting half of an entree.

But today just really upset me for some reason, and it was something entirely different!

I was out to eat, and was out of water... and so the waitress came around and asked, "Were you drinking water? Or Sprite?" And so I said, "Water, I can't have soda." And she said okay, and that she'd bring me another water.

Sure enough, she brings a clear liquid to the table and I trust her and take a sip... it's Sprite

I feel like I should have spit it out somewhere somehow, but luckily I hadn't taken a huge GULP or anything... but I swear even from that little sip, I started getting cravings all over again and had issue controlling myself for a little while. I'm so sensitive to high doses of sugar anymore, it's ridiculous! I just couldn't believe she did that right after I'd told her I was unable to drink sodas

Anyway, I just wanted to rant a little bit and get that out. I'm doing okay now with no negative effects (that I can tell so far) from that drink of soda. I'm sure I'm not alone and lots of us have run into the same things at times!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Ok, this one for some reason annoyed me, though I'm not sure why. A couple of weeks ago we went to Chili's (sit down chain restaurant) with my in-laws and I ordered a bacon cheeseburger, no bun, with broccoli instead of fries. The description said it came with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles and mayo which all sounded fine. So when the person brings out the food and is asking who each entree belongs to she says, "Almost a burger?" and I said "huh??" I really didn't get it at first. So she said "almost a burger?" again and I said something like, "I guess that's me, but it's supposed to be a bacon cheesburger without a bun". She said "yea, it's almost a burger!" I just shook my head, I wasn't amused. I DID get a buger! I just didn't get a bun! To top it off they didn't include the mayo on the plate so I had to ask for that and wait for it.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 03-12-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Krissy2010
Stats: 171/151/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/2013
Yup I feel ya, I have to watch every single move when into out to eat. I went to outback and ordered a bacon cheeseburger no bun. They brought out a cheeseburger but had forgot the bacon and mayo and had left the bun on and of course brought me fries when I had specifically said no fries, please bring me green beans! Then the waitress seemed pissed that I was being such a pain! I'm very careful at fast food places with diet sodas as well especially since I like come zero and I swear sometimes it's so sweet it tastes like regular. Just keep firm and tell whoever you're around what you don't eat and will eat (try to. Ot use the word can't because people assume your diet is no biggie and that you are willing to cheat). Ohh and I about died the other day when I ordered a coke zero and the woman misunderstood and I watched her pour me a regular soda so I told her o I ordered a coke zero. So, she poured it out and started filling it with come zero. I was with my friend and I almost didn't say anything because I hate feeling like a nag but I finally decided to say something and that I needed a clean cup with come zero because sugar made me very sick.... Maybe I took it a little extreme but I've worked very hard to get to where I am just to blow it by someone else's mistake! Just stick to your guns and don't worry about being nice!

Last edited by Krissy2010; 03-12-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Krissy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
What I dont understand is how phenomenally incompetent many restaurant workers are. It just cant be that hard to understand an order of "Hamburger, no bun, green beans instead of fries" I mean, we arent doing complex algebra here. Then they act like you should just accept their mistake and are annoyed if they need to correct it.

Not substituting sides I can understand to some degree... many times the menu price is based on the cost of a cheap carb like french fries or mashed potatoes, and its much more expensive to sub in a different product. It is discouraging though, when I have to pay so much more to be healthy.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Servers really vary in skill. I sympathize with them, but I find myself turning into a buffet fan so I can feel more in control.

I'm especially avoiding chains since their stuff tastes like reheated frozen food. I'm not a foodie by any means but if I'm paying $15 plus tip...
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
What I dont understand is how phenomenally incompetent many restaurant workers are.
I gotta say, I have actually had some impressive sounding jobs, but none of them have been as challenging as the 15 years I waited tables.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Mostly I don't have big complaints about waitstaff, but occasionally there are some doozies.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Haven't had any problems Yet, But I wouldn't hesitate to speak up if my orders wrong, nicely of course but I'm the one paying the bill And leaving the tip!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
I waitressed for a long time. There is a lot to remember and even the best of servers mess up sometimes.

If I asked if someone had water or soda and they said "water, I can't drink soda"- the last word I heard was soda and that would probably stick in my mind. There's no need to explain your dietary needs...just answer the question. The less information the better.

On the way to get your water, she probably had 4 other customers she had to refill for too.

Waitresses and waiters are only human. We all make mistakes. At my job, I can simply hit the delete key when I make a mistake...people in food service don't have it that easy. No one intentionally messes up your diet.

Just a little compassion...
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Beachy
Stats: 226.5/166/145
WOE: LC/MP/HF (NK)
Start Date: July, 29, 2012
I have had a couple of problems. However, the servers were always apologetic and fixed the problem immediately. Mistakes are going to happen sometimes -- especially when I am making so many changes to the product.

We do have a local McDs though that gets almost every single order wrong. Seriously, we can be the only people there, and it will still be wrong. Good thing we don't go there too much anymore.

Beachy
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I have had surprisingly good success with resturants, even fast food.
I've had bun less (no mustard, ketsup) bacon/cheese/angus burgers at McD with diet drinks. I am (heavily) on my cane or walker... most often, the counter staff will tell me to sit & bring my order to my table... McD!
I've tried Wendy's once & a bunless baconator w/ diet coke was fine. I carried it myself.
Wife & I have often eatten at Applebes, on date nights & I will get a steak & salad (instead of the sides) so the exchange is in their favor. Rarely have we been declined. The alternative is my wife will have an appetizer as an entre` and take my sides as she's not LC.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
Something I've learned through the years is to simply order my food they way I want it prepared ... and not as though it's a request or asking them whether they can accommodate me. I assume and insist that they can and will.

No special abilities here. A confident "I'll have it like this" in a respectful but matter of fact tone - delivered with zero interrogative lilt or apologetic cringe - is all that's necessary. This may be why I never have any problems.
SugarFreeSheila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmileyf View Post
I waitressed for a long time. There is a lot to remember and even the best of servers mess up sometimes.

If I asked if someone had water or soda and they said "water, I can't drink soda"- the last word I heard was soda and that would probably stick in my mind. There's no need to explain your dietary needs...just answer the question. The less information the better.

On the way to get your water, she probably had 4 other customers she had to refill for too.

Waitresses and waiters are only human. We all make mistakes. At my job, I can simply hit the delete key when I make a mistake...people in food service don't have it that easy. No one intentionally messes up your diet.

Just a little compassion...
This has my husband written all over it...I waited tables for years. My husband over explains everything and chit chats the waitress to death. I tell him she is gonna come back with the wrong item because of how he chit chatted while ordering and low and behold they do....I do have to agree with you about not explaining everything unless it is a true allergy...that is different.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
I understand that mistakes are going to happen, and when I waited tables I know that I made plenty of mistakes myself. So I generally assume the person is going to be willing and happy to correct it, and I don't get upset about it.

BUT, that said, there is one restaurant here that makes the same mistake every single time, despite the fact that when I place the order, I mention that they always make this mistake and ask them to please see to it that it's correct. It's a pizza and sandwich place where I order a sandwich without the bread, and for some reason, every single time, they bring it to me without the bread OR the cheese. So when I place the order, I always specify "no bread, EXTRA CHEESE" and I still get it, every single time, no bread and no cheese. It is so perfectly consistent and so annoying that I would have stopped going there ages ago, but my husband loves the place and wants to go almost every weekend.

Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiddlejen
Stats: 296 oh no!!/287/..a whole lot less!!..
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: IF 2013->Atkins 2/20. 3/13 aiming for Atkins Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila View Post
Something I've learned through the years is to simply order my food they way I want it prepared ... and not as though it's a request or asking them whether they can accommodate me. I assume and insist that they can and will.

No special abilities here. A confident "I'll have it like this" in a respectful but matter of fact tone - delivered with zero interrogative lilt or apologetic cringe - is all that's necessary. This may be why I never have any problems.

And of course, no matter how you order, waiters & waitresses can still mess up, quite easily. That is, it often has nothing to do with Low Carb! No matter how perfectly from-the-menu you order, there will always be occasional mistakes. And, whether your order was directly from menu or whether you had special requests, *most waitstaff will be apologetic when they get something wrong, & will go out of their way to fix it.

(*For those few waitstaff who show a truly bad attitude, however, it is right to express your decreased enjoyment with a decreased tip.)
fiddlejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Has anyone had any particularly frustrating restaurant experiences since starting their current WOE?

Mostly so far it's been the occasional situation where a restaurant refuses to substitute sides for me despite telling them I'm gluten free, and I've had to wind up ordering extra food while wasting half of an entree.

But today just really upset me for some reason, and it was something entirely different!

I was out to eat, and was out of water... and so the waitress came around and asked, "Were you drinking water? Or Sprite?" And so I said, "Water, I can't have soda." And she said okay, and that she'd bring me another water.

Sure enough, she brings a clear liquid to the table and I trust her and take a sip... it's Sprite

I feel like I should have spit it out somewhere somehow, but luckily I hadn't taken a huge GULP or anything... but I swear even from that little sip, I started getting cravings all over again and had issue controlling myself for a little while. I'm so sensitive to high doses of sugar anymore, it's ridiculous! I just couldn't believe she did that right after I'd told her I was unable to drink sodas

Anyway, I just wanted to rant a little bit and get that out. I'm doing okay now with no negative effects (that I can tell so far) from that drink of soda. I'm sure I'm not alone and lots of us have run into the same things at times!
I would have just said, "water".
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I must say, I could never be a waiter. I have worked with the public for a majority of my working life, but I draw the line at being a waiter. The first time someone (like some of the people on here) got nasty with me over a mistake that ANYONE could make, sure, I would correct the mistake, but...if you have ever seen the movie "Waiting" you can see where I am going with this.....

That is one of the reasons why I very rarely go out to eat.

Last edited by Demonica; 03-13-2013 at 08:35 AM..
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BSR3
Stats: 159/135/130
Start Date: May, 2012
I just ask for the burger and remove the bun myself.

My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was 6. When she was about 8 she ordered a Diet Coke and the waitress proceeded to tell us that she was too young to worry about her weight and should not be ordering a diet drink. I took pleasure in explaining why she could not have a sugared drink. Hopefully, that saved another family a lecture.
BSR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR3 View Post

My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was 6. When she was about 8 she ordered a Diet Coke and the waitress proceeded to tell us that she was too young to worry about her weight and should not be ordering a diet drink. I took pleasure in explaining why she could not have a sugared drink. Hopefully, that saved another family a lecture.
That's annoying!
When my niece was young she'd have coffee because the doctor said it helped her asthma. Oh- the comments we would get!
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Well I think the thing with this particular waitress was that she'd made three separate mistakes while we were there, and she was even writing everything down... that was rather puzzling to me. How I wound up with no lemon in my first water, Sprite as my second water, and 24 boneless wings instead of traditional after she asked me about half a dozen times whether I wanted traditional or boneless is beyond me. They weren't even busy

Anyway, she apologized and all was fine... except I felt quite ill after that bit of corn syrup unfortunately, but it eventually cleared up. Ordering really shouldn't be a puzzle of how to word things though in my opinion anyway. I told her I couldn't drink soda specifically because I thought that should have clicked as something that was important to me in her mind, and because I really CAN'T drink it. I'm just that sensitive to that crap that not only do I get cravings, but I also wind up with headaches and an unsettled stomach as well. I also reiterated it because she'd already brought me the wrong thing twice at that point, so I feared she'd do it again... it probably would have happened no matter what I'd said, honestly.

I just wanted to come on here and vent and see what sorts of other things people have had happen to them in restaurants... I'm sure the stories are numerous. I didn't give the waitress a hard time even though the mistakes were really puzzling to me when someone's writing everything down and only has two tables to wait on anyway. I just corrected my order until it was right and went on with my day, and thankfully I'm feeling much better now... although it really did seem to mess me up yesterday
Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR3 View Post

Luckily I've never had the issue people have had getting bunless burgers... people usually just ask me once "You don't want a bun?" and once I tell them they heard me right, I've always been lucky enough to have my order come out correct. I actually just ordered one for lunch

The thing with me (and I'm sure many others) is that I'm pretty sure if someone brought me a burger with a bun on it, I'd be liable to eat it... or at least think, "Well, maybe I'll just take the top bun off and treat myself to the bottom since it's there." I have a hard time resisting things that are right in front of me, lol. I'd also rather not waste the food, that way the restaurant can keep that bun for someone else... although I'm sure they throw food away more than I'd care to imagine anyway

So sorry that happened to you and your daughter though, that's terrible! I never understand why someone in a service position would feel the need to comment like that on someone's food/beverage choices. If the customer is paying, just bring them what they ask for! I know a lot of people say you don't have to explain yourself to anyone, but in situations like that... you're almost forced to, to prevent any further rude or uncalled for comments. Good for you for speaking up though, I hope no one else had to endure that treatment!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
I used to wait tables, too - in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with a customer politely saying "Could you read that back to me?" at the end of a complicated order. (I always add a "thank you" afterwards.)
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
We don't eat out much except for really special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries. Last month we went out to a restaurant we've always wanted to go to for our anniversary--in the big city. It happened to be a very expensive restaurant, prix fixe, and vegetarian. So I knew that it was a bit of a gamble, since I don't eat grains anymore.

When I made the reservation I told them that. We had the sweetest waiter (with a great Irish accent) who tried so hard to be so accomodating. I was brought roasted salted almonds when my husband was brought bread, and I had a lovely appetizer course of roasted veggies. But the entree was the downfall. One entree was all grain (mushroom ravioli), one had a wrap (sort of an Asian fusion burrito) and the remaining entree would have been fine EXCEPT it was full of chiles--I HATE chiles. The Asian burrito thing had them too ( Ugh. My husband ordered the Asian wrap and loved it.

I tried the grain free entree and couldn't get past the first bite, so they brought me a second appetizer instead (spinach salad). Kind of an expensive dinner with two salads instead of a main course, but I knew it was going to be luck of the draw to begin with. My grain free dessert (flourless chocolate cake--not low carb, but it WAS a special occasion) was awesome.

I feel a little cheated (my husband enjoyed every bite--he loved everything), but not because anyone messed up. It was just not my night in the entree department. And everything else was incredible.

To some degree you just have to go with the flow. I considered just eating the mushroom ravioli, but last time I had a lot of flour I was sick as a dog the next day, and I really didn't want a repeat.

It's a good reminder why it's best to eat at home. On my birthday I chose to stay in and have my husband cook lamb shanks with tons of garlic. No need to go out and spend way too much money when I can have such an awesome and "clean" dinner at home. I take my husband out on his birthday because I'm not a very good cook ;o)
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I eat out all the time--at all price points--with hardly any trouble.

I enjoy cooking, and enjoy eating the food I cook, but I also enjoy eating out. I think I ate out five times last week, everything from fast food to a tasting tour of neighborhood restaurants to a Korean BBQ place, and I managed to stay on plan and lose over four pounds.

A prix fixe vegetarian menu is just not going to be flexible, and you knew that going in. That's very different from most restaurant experiences. I understand that your husband chose and loved it. I would have just planned to have to eat afterward.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
I used to wait tables, too - in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with a customer politely saying "Could you read that back to me?" at the end of a complicated order. (I always add a "thank you" afterwards.)
That's the greatest advise I've heard! That gives an opportunity to fix any misunderstandings up front... and serves notice that you are serious. After that, I would noty hesitate to send back any mistake.

I am one to not make waves. With this groundwork less chance for error but I would feel much more standing up for myself.
Russ
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote