Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Newbie with ketosis questions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799289-newbie-ketosis-questions.html)

UnderCoverAbs 03-12-2013 09:47 AM

Newbie with ketosis questions

Hey guys! Forgive me if this has been asked already, I browsed and didn't see it. Anyways, I'm just getting started on LC for the very first time :D I'm not "overweight" but I am "overfat" I am 26yo female, 5'7", 28-30%bf. My question is this: I *think* I finally 'reached' ketosis yesterday, but the only thing making me think that is that my urine reeks, and I lost 2.5lbs in 2 days (water, I'm sure). I was expecting headaches, tummy aches, dizziness, crankiness, fatique... I feel none of that :dunno: I mean, I guess that's good, but does that mean I still have glycogen stores? I don't have Ketostix, should I get some? I hear they aren't all that reliable. Thanks in advance for input!! So happy to be here!

Ntombi 03-12-2013 09:51 AM

I never experience any of those things while in ketosis, don't worry about it. Buy the ketostix if you like, but remember that they are not the best measurement of ketosis: some people never excrete measurable ketones in their urine, but are definitely in ketosis. If you do, and find it helpful, great. The main thing is to follow the plan, don't deviate, don't add too much crap food (low carb or not, processed crap is processed crap), and you'll be fine.

Good luck, and :welcome:

UnderCoverAbs 03-12-2013 10:00 AM

Ok, thank you! Whew! That's good to know, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones ;)

clackley 03-12-2013 12:51 PM

WELCOME UnderCoverAbs!! It sounds like you have gotten into ketosis and with minimal side effects. It is still important to replace the electrolytes that a person loses and the best way to do that is with broth... regular sodium broth..... 2 cups per day.

Ntombi 03-12-2013 12:59 PM

You know, many of us don't drink broth and we do fine. That's a choice too.

clackley 03-12-2013 03:41 PM

Very true! I didn't drink broth either and did fine although I recall that I had a bit of a headache .... but no biggie! I guess it could be said, but it wouldn't hurt!:)

Ntombi 03-12-2013 04:23 PM

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's not a requirement, and someone who doesn't want to shouldn't feel like they have to bother.

I never get any of the "induction flu" symptoms, and I've never bothered with broth. I know some people do need to worry about their electrolytes, though there are many ways to get them in. Broth is fine, but it's just one option.

clackley 03-12-2013 04:47 PM

It is recommended by the experts such as Atkins and Phinney. If it is something that may avoid some of the sometimes debilitating symptoms, I see no reason not to pass it along. And, it cannot hurt! I guess I don't understand the objection or need to question the advice?

Ntombi 03-12-2013 04:49 PM

It was given as an option. I see too many people presenting is as a must.

clackley 03-12-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16312492)
It was given as an option. I see too many people presenting is as a must.

It is a good thing to do.......I can't imagine having an issue with it!

Ntombi 03-12-2013 05:11 PM

If you can't understand my point after I've stated it several times, we'll just leave it there. :shake:

UnderCoverAbs 03-13-2013 09:11 AM

uhhm.. ok. I think I get it. Broth is a great way to replace electrolytes, but there are other options and broth isn't always necessary. I'm a smart girl, it doesn't take much to get it through my head. I appreciate the input, advice, tips!! :D

clackley 03-13-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderCoverAbs (Post 16313704)
uhhm.. ok. I think I get it. Broth is a great way to replace electrolytes, but there are other options and broth isn't always necessary. I'm a smart girl, it doesn't take much to get it through my head. I appreciate the input, advice, tips!! :D

So sorry for the quibbling in your thread.....:o

Ntombi 03-13-2013 12:49 PM

Me too.

heidihoopi 03-13-2013 01:41 PM

A reliable indicator of ketosis is bad breath.

SweetMe678 03-13-2013 02:55 PM

Not to add to the contrariness of the thread, but I never get ketosis breath, I do however notice that when I work up a sweat it smells very different. DH even noticed it on me. But I seem to have good luck with the ketostix also. Dark = losing quickly, Med = losing somewhat and Light = well at least I didn't totally blow it when i ate ____ insert off WOE food. :P

Ntombi 03-13-2013 03:05 PM

I don't get keto-breath either. I've asked close friends to make sure. :o

I can vary widely on the ketostix: this whole week, I've been measuring trace, barely barely barely pink, and I've lost 4 pounds. A few weeks ago, I didn't lose anything, and was measuring mostly moderate. For me, it's more a matter of hydration than anything else. I know there are some people who simply never get a positive, but they're clearly in ketosis.

Strawberry 03-13-2013 03:54 PM

I think the best way of explaining the "Broth issue"...

Dr Atkins mentions in his book that you may lose a lot of water during Induction, due to the diuretic effects of the diet (losing glycogen that holds in water). IF you do feel dizzy or light headed, he suggested adding in additional salt (this could be broth or just adding more salt to your meat or any other salty food). The added salt will help you retain water.

If you arent having those symptoms, then I wouldnt worry about broth, salt, electrolytes, or anything... broth is yummy if you like it, but totally unnecessary to Atkins.

Sounds like you are doing well! Welcome to the Board!

UnderCoverAbs 03-13-2013 04:53 PM

I have noticed a funky taste in my mouth. Although it's not an enjoyable taste, I welcome it because I know what it means :D I'm sooooo excited! I don't know if these numbers are low or average, but as of yesterday (day 3) I have lost 3 lbs. I know it's probably all water, but it's still soooo exciting to see that number drop, and most of all my belly shrink! Yay!

Ntombi 03-13-2013 09:08 PM

:clap:

UnderCoverAbs 03-14-2013 08:45 AM

Thank you!! I had my body fat checked last night at the gym and it is down 2.8% already! Unbelievable!!!! My goal is to be at 20% or lower before the end of May. My trainer says it's hardly possible, but I think I can do it! :cool:

janetsbreeze 03-14-2013 11:15 AM

You are off to a great start!