LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
iLOG, do you?

So I've made it a week, I know not so impressive but it is for me. I've tried and tried to remain faithful and now I feel ultra-committed. I think 2 weeks is the true test but 1 week is worth talking about.

Last Monday when I caught the wagon at the fork in the road, I decided that I wasn't going to log what I ate and just let my body tell me what is acceptable. Not going to work. I HAVE to log, I feel lost if I don't. I have to know what % of fat is in my calories, and so forth. I have to know If I need to change things based on how I feel and what I ate that made me feel that way. I can't remember.

Anywho, who else has this obsession with logging in every calorie? Does this make me crazy?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I'll "audit" my grocery list every few months just out of curiosity but I could never live with reckoning every gram. It's probably wise to log near the beginning just to highlight how cuckoo bananas the SAD is (my old Subway combo was 244g carbohydrate).

So stick with what works! I'd also add that stress is more fattening than carbs so don't forget to enjoy life.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/18/11
I logged every bite at the beginning. It really helped me. Congrats on your week
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I log every bite I eat or sip I take. Mainly it's to track my macronutrients, but it has the added bonus of keeping me on guard against mindless eating. Before I eat anything - I weigh it and then log it. It gives me the opportunity to really question if I'm hungry or just 'grazing'. I can think of quite a few times that it's helped me turn away from something that I didn't need.
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt1975 View Post
I log every bite I eat or sip I take. Mainly it's to track my macronutrients, but it has the added bonus of keeping me on guard against mindless eating. Before I eat anything - I weigh it and then log it. It gives me the opportunity to really question if I'm hungry or just 'grazing'. I can think of quite a few times that it's helped me turn away from something that I didn't need.
I log, but I've been doing it for years and it's second nature. When I'm losing I log everything I plan to eat in the morning and then go back and change it at night if I deviated from my plan. When I'm maintaining I just log everything at night. I'm much less exact about it in maintenance too.

It seems to be something that helps keep me on track. Every time I've stopped I've gained weight.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I think logging is a very good idea but I'm pretty bad at it. I do get a full week or a little more in every once in a while, but I'll look for any excuse to skip a day. If I eat anything out that I can't actually measure, I'll take the whole day off. The last three days, my FIL was visiting, so we weren't in our usual routine, so no log. Today I am super logging though.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
I log everything almost every day, and am generally pretty good at doing it. Every now and then I just say "eh, I'm over it today" and slack off after entering a few things (but only if I already have a gauge on what I'm going to eat that day and how much it's various values are worth. But I find it helps keep me more accountable, and tracking my habits really helps me especially when or if I decide to tweak aspects of my diet.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The first time I did LC I logged everything and it became a problem sometimes because I felt I was sucked in by this with no freedom. I felt like whatever my log said is what I HAD to have no more, no less. That's not true!!!

This time around, I don't have a deadline for weight loss. I'm sure losing weight for my health, the last time I wasn't. I realized that logging was actually my savior from overeating. Maybe I eat a little over my goal calories but it's not mindless. It's puts my day in to perspective. I do weigh everything too! I'm glad I'm not alone in this sort of obsessive nature!
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I logged for a while but now every time I go to the site I logged on, it freezes up. I was just thinking about different places and welcome a quicker option...
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
When I restarted, I logged everything I ate and drank for a few weeks, to get back in the groove of things. Now I don't bother, but I might look up a particular food if I don't eat it often.

I'm following an extended induction, eating only from the induction foods list. I pretty much know the ballpark numbers of my typical foods, even the foods I eat out, so I don't need to keep logging in my bunless cheeseburger with a fried egg on top, which I've been known to have daily for weeks on end.

Every once in a while, I realize that my calories have gotten low, so I log for a day or two and see where I can do better. Just a little spot check here and there.

It's interesting, because I love data, and I record and chart so much about this process, but logging every bite of food long-term holds absolutely no appeal for me.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
I logged for a while but now every time I go to the site I logged on, it freezes up. I was just thinking about different places and welcome a quicker option...
I like the mobile app on my smart phone that has a bar code scanner, it's pretty awesome!!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Food/diet is something many obsess about.
If logging your intake helps you lose then so be it.
For me, I will tire quickly of anything that resembles work.
I'm retired and will work hard at the things I love,
but as for the rest of it........meh!
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Retirement sounds fun I'm 25...one day I will retire and I'll probably feel the same way.