Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Counting grams-I must not need many! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799222-counting-grams-i-must-not-need-many.html)

barrycudda 03-11-2013 02:02 PM

Counting grams-I must not need many!

Hi
Since I started counting carbs, I have discovered that anything over 50 grams a day will cause me to gain weight. Yes-I am counting everything. This seems to be a very low number.
The first week I ran on 20 grams a day thereabouts and lost two pounds, but when I upped it to 50 I stalled out.
Is this common, or am I just really sensitive to carbs, as I think I might be? Thanks!

abitobeef 03-12-2013 05:28 AM

Yup it doesnt take many carbs to derail these diets. Just remember you dont need carbs and try to hit zero grams.

synger 03-12-2013 10:29 AM

And remember that some people are much more insulin resistant (sensitive to carbs) than others. Some low-carbers can tolerate 50-100 grams of carb and continue to lose. Others can eat at those levels so long as their calories are low or they exercise a lot. Others, like me (and it sounds like, you) need to keep the carbs below 50 every day.

raindroproses 03-12-2013 01:34 PM

It's very common, but it's likely you are a bit more sensitive to carbs than some people. I'm the same way... although I don't count carbs at all, I AM aware of how many are in each thing I eat as well as where the carbs are coming from (in other words, is it sugar, or starch, or fiber, etc?) and I only probably wind up with 20-30 a day max, not subtracting fiber and such to find a "net" number. That's my total count :)

I'm also insulin resistant (I have PCOS that causes it) and thyroid problems as well, but so long as I stick to around 20-30 carbs a day total I find that I'm able to continue on losing. That's really what LC-ing is sometimes is a big old experiment to determine what our individual bodies can handle :)

I'd say go ahead and go back to what worked for you (you were saying about 20 carbs) and then if your goal is to see if you can still lose while eating a higher amount, just VERY slowly start increasing the amount you eat and see what happens. Maybe if 20 starts working again, try 25 and see if that affects you. If you're still losing and want to add some more healthy carbs in, try experimenting with 30 at that point. That's how a lot of us find our limits :)

snowmop 03-12-2013 01:44 PM

Quite a few of us stay at 20 or so per day.

clackley 03-12-2013 01:47 PM

There are a couple of things when discussing the amount of carbs. One is of course, the type of carbs. Wheat for many, many people is not tolerated. Two is that 50g of carbs is the approx. cut off for many for being in ketosis or not. Many folks have to be much lower. I stick to about 20g per day to maintain ketosis.

Btw, I see you are new poster, so WELCOME!!

Big Stevie 03-13-2013 12:28 PM

The Atkins books recommend going up in 5 gram increments until you find where you stop losing. You went up 30 grams. So, go back to 25 and see how it goes. Also, I didn't lose at the same rate every week. Your body might not lose at the same rate either. So just because you didn't lose anything during the week at 50 grams, doesn't mean that you would never lose at 50 grams. Maybe your body was just taking a break. You need more data before you can make decisions. So, go slower and observe what your body does.