Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceanlover66
WOE: low carb
Silly question, but how do you

STOP losing weight if you are LCarbing? I have not been following a specific "plan"(like Atkins or Paleo or SB). I just cut out sugar, junk food, baked goods, and only eat WW bread and Flax tortillas. I was 143 at the beginning of January and I am now 134. Goal weight is 130. I am also exercising a lot more then I ever have. At least 30 min 3x a week(Zumba) plus dance class for 45 min. So, will I continue to lose and lose? I went from a size 9 jeans to a size 7. I am 5'3". I have a belly, which has def gotten smaller. Now I look like I am only 5 months pregnant instead of 8!

I have no idea how many calories I am taking in a day, or how much I am burning.

I have coffee with SF french vanilla in the morning.

Usually a roasted chicken breast sandwich with cholesterol free Hellmans, on WW whole wheat bread, with some LC crackers and hummus for lunch.

An Atkins bar for a snack.

Dinner is usually a meat and two veggies.

Dessert is two pieces of Dark chocolate(85% cacao), and some walnuts.

I drink Water, Flavored Carbonated Beverages or Crystal light.

I do however, take two TBSP of Blackstrap Molasses each night. I take 3 iron pills a day, and the BS has a lot of iron in it plus it has enough magnesium in it to make me "go".(I have been doing this for about 2 years) When taking my iron, I take it with Vitamin C and tiny sips of 50% less sugar OJ.

Prior to going LC, I ate white bread only. Would drink sweet tea from a plastic jug from the store, or powdered green tea made very sweet, Reeses PB cups every day, potatoes, chips, store bought choclate doughnuts etc....Pretty much my day was ALL sugar. I even had 3 TBS of sugar in my coffee 2X a day.

I cannot give up the BS Molasses. My Dr. says it is fine.

And I am still losing. Blood sugar has been good. Going for A1c in May at my insistance. (I have had impaired FBG for 3 years. around 105). And my trigs were high this year, 197. Every other year it has always been below 125. Funny, when I was in the hospital last year I stopped eating and drinking after midnight, as I was going to have my appendix out, and a 6 hour fast gave me a BG reading of 90. Go figure? I was put on Amitryptiline last Feb(2012), 30 mg. Small dose. I asked if that could have raised my trigs. Dr. said no, more so if I was on higher dose of like 300mg. So I don't know. I know I did "some" drinking two days before lipid test. Not a lot though. Dr said to get down to 130, cut out sugar as mmuch as possible, cut out carbs, and exercise. And that should lower trigs. But I am still not sure if it is the new medication or not. And all this low carbing and exercising is being done for nothing only to have borderline high trigs again. I do NOT want meds. I do take Fish oil.

Anyways, how do you get to your goal weight and maintain it? I am sorry if this is a stupid question. Hey, I don't mind losing the weight. But I don't want to look like Olive Oil either.

Last edited by oceanlover66; 03-11-2013 at 12:53 PM..
oceanlover66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
The atkins website has some good information on adding back 'good' carb foods to slow weightloss. It takes a little trial and error to find what works good for you as far as affecting bs.
I'm sure others will have great ideas, I have never been to the point where I wanted to stop weight loss
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceanlover66
WOE: low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
The atkins website has some good information on adding back 'good' carb foods to slow weightloss. It takes a little trial and error to find what works good for you as far as affecting bs.
I'm sure others will have great ideas, I have never been to the point where I wanted to stop weight loss
Thank you. Because I do not want to go back to carbs to slow my weight loss. And if I do, I need to know what GOOD carbs to add.
oceanlover66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You lose weight when you're eating at a caloric deficit. So if you're losing, you have a deficit, and even if you don't know your daily caloric level (which might be good to know), to stop losing you simply add more food. It can be larger portions of what you're already eating, so you don't necessarily have to add calories that will negatively affect your lab numbers.

Once you stop losing, that's your 'maintenance' level.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
Leo I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I use Dietpower to keep a log of food and exercise. I can eat the same amount of calories low carb and lose, as I would eating a high carb diet and gain. I know that calories DO count, I just think they count differently.

This is of course, just my experience, and I've never been to a 'normal' weight.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Sweet- I never said that all calories are the same, but the OP indicated that she wanted to remain low carb and eat essentially as she's doing now. Thus, to stop losing, she should eat more.

I've been maintaining for two years doing precisely that. I'm so carb sensitive that I need to stay at about 20g a day. So I'm eating essentially the same foods as I was during weight loss, but now I can eat a little more.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
If you're not following a particular plan, you might want to at least read up on how a few LC plans work, so you can figure out how to maintain. Not quite sure why you're choosing to wing it if you don't understand the basics, but glad it's working for you.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I have also never gotten to a point where I want to stop losing, but I kind of assume that I'll just keep on keeping on until my weight stops going down and then continuing eating the same way, or, if I have to, add more fat in. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll be looking around for a plan B, but it won't include eating carbs as my blood sugar will go insane if I do that.

I don't spend a whole lotta time worrying about it bc I imagine I will be on top of the world with all the clothes shopping and showing off.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
If you don't want to add more carbs you have to eat more calories as Leo mentioned above...that usually means increasing low carb fats and proteins.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
I know that many people talk about adding some "good" carbs back once you reach goal weight, so I'm sure that must work for a lot of people. But for me, I've kept my carb intake at the same level in maintenance that I had during loss, and I've just maintained this weight, which I think is a healthy and reasonably attractive weight for my body. Perhaps I've increased my fat intake or overall calories - I don't know because I don't track those - but I keep my carbs steady at this level for health reasons, and it keeps my weight steady too.

Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote