Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member
 
Stackdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 613
Gallery: Stackdiesel
Stats: 238/196/Unknown
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
So, in a nut shell...yes, I believe JUDDD opened the door to the NES/binge monster.
Beeb,

Thanks much for the detailed feedback. I wish you success in resolving this issue, and see that you are already gaining momentum.

Regards,
Stack
Stackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #32
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackdiesel View Post
Beeb,

Thanks much for the detailed feedback. I wish you success in resolving this issue, and see that you are already gaining momentum.

Regards,
Stack
Thank you so much!! Things ARE looking up (or down depending on how you look at it)!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #33
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
I used to overeat quite a bit at night, and I think work stress had a lot to do with it. I had to quit JUDDD last year because I had problems with binging.

I ditched the stressful job and have found that eating breakfast also makes a big difference in being able to regulate my food intake. I can stop eating by 7:00 pm now, which is a huge change for me.
I just saw your post and it's so encouraging to see that someone like myself and some of the others here may be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel soon! I don't eat a big breakfast but I am finding I'm hungry now when I never was before a bit after I wake. It's very interesting and I agree, I believe it is helping. This and the fact that I CAN each if I'm hungry in the morning how because I do not have to wait to eat in my window or save calories until later because I have too few for the day.
__________________

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #34
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
wiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 3,633
Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Holy cow! 4 nights of NO night-time snacking plus 5 days on Phase 1 (I do South Beach) plus no wine (another weakness of mine ) equals a 6 lb (!!!) weight loss this week.

Yeah, I know much of that was water weight, but heck - I'll take it. And it really energizes me to keep on going. I need to lose about 4 more lbs. My guess is I will average about a lb a week from here on in. Fingers crossed I can be back to my Maintenance weight in a month.

Linda, thanks so much for starting this thread. This has been a life saver for me this week.
__________________
2014 is a new chapter in my journey...I am eager to embrace the changes coming my way and make it work.

2014 Running Miles: 289
2014 Walking Miles: 278
2014 Biking Miles: 441
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member
 
lisamt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 534
Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I just saw your post and it's so encouraging to see that someone like myself and some of the others here may be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel soon! I don't eat a big breakfast but I am finding I'm hungry now when I never was before a bit after I wake. It's very interesting and I agree, I believe it is helping. This and the fact that I CAN each if I'm hungry in the morning how because I do not have to wait to eat in my window or save calories until later because I have too few for the day.
I'm so glad that you started this thread. I'd never heard of NES before, and felt guilty that I wasn't able to do the JUDDD rotations. I made a few attempts to get back into it but always failed on DD's.

I feel better in general eating LCHF now, but switching my meals to early in the day has helped so much with reducing the urge to overeat at night. I've also noticed that I'm hungry when I wake up but not ravenous.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #36
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Holy cow! 4 nights of NO night-time snacking plus 5 days on Phase 1 (I do South Beach) plus no wine (another weakness of mine ) equals a 6 lb (!!!) weight loss this week.

Yeah, I know much of that was water weight, but heck - I'll take it. And it really energizes me to keep on going. I need to lose about 4 more lbs. My guess is I will average about a lb a week from here on in. Fingers crossed I can be back to my Maintenance weight in a month.

Linda, thanks so much for starting this thread. This has been a life saver for me this week.
WTG my fellow Jersey Girl!!! This is wonderful news and you will be down that 4 pounds in no time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
I'm so glad that you started this thread. I'd never heard of NES before, and felt guilty that I wasn't able to do the JUDDD rotations. I made a few attempts to get back into it but always failed on DD's.

I feel better in general eating LCHF now, but switching my meals to early in the day has helped so much with reducing the urge to overeat at night. I've also noticed that I'm hungry when I wake up but not ravenous.
I'm glad this thread is helping and JUDDD was a bad thing for me even though I loved the WOE and the weight loss I had on it. It got harder and harder so I too had to leave it. Now it's loosely counting calories and stopping my eating at 8 PM. I'm doing OK and I'm 4 night into it and will say it's not too bad. Woke up today depressed, tired and hungry....not good combos, but I'm keeping my calories down today and still eating when I want. Work tonight again which means dinner at 4 and not getting home until 11. I am going to have something either right before 8 or I will eat a yogurt or some melon when I get home. That is all, though and ONLY if I'm truly hunger. Today I'm been truly hungry and I won't put off my hunger because that is a slippery slope for me with eating out of control when I pushed myself to be too hungry.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #37
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I started a thread on the "Other Plan" forum under the Weight Loss Plans Forum. Come join me here!

Our Own Plan And Binging/Night Eating Syndrome
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member
 
Kittee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Irwin, PA
Posts: 71
Gallery: Kittee
Stats: 206/134/110-115
WOE: Atkins first, then LCHF, now PSMF
Start Date: April 2011
I don't need a doc to tell me I've got that....cause I've got it bad When it's getting dark out and I'm just checkin out the tube before bed, I want to snack like nobodies business. I want junk food and nothing satisfies me. This is the time when I usually screw up and binge on peanut butter....sigh
Kittee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #39
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittee View Post
I don't need a doc to tell me I've got that....cause I've got it bad When it's getting dark out and I'm just checkin out the tube before bed, I want to snack like nobodies business. I want junk food and nothing satisfies me. This is the time when I usually screw up and binge on peanut butter....sigh
I so feel your pain, Kittee! Come join us on the thread I started on the "Other Plan" forum. I find it good for venting and trying to sort out how to stop this problem I have with food and the night!

The link is on the post above yours!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
buttoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 4,169
Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
FWIW Linda, I, too, have had issues with NES. Partly because I stay up until midnight; partly because my husband is a late night snacker, right in front of me. NOTHING has worked for me that some say helps, like eating a high protein breakfast w/in 30 minutes of rising, eating more, smaller meals throughout the day, IF or JUDDD. What consistently keeps me from snacking at night is eating 3 normal meals, at around 6AM, 12 NOON, and my large dinner around 7PM and then eating nothing else (only fluids after 7pm).

You see, when I was growing up and most of my adult life, Mom and I always served dinner around 5:30-6pm. Probably because both my folks were raised on farms where folks tend to eat their evening meal earlier and then they usually went to bed shortly after dark, because they were TIRED doing farm chores all day long.

BIG mistake for me. When I am forced to hold dinner over until 7pm (due to hubby away from the house or it's just not done yet), I consistently find I NEVER get hungry again before bedtime. I've had a BIG meal too recently and still feel stuffed from dinner. If I do experience hunger I often realize I just "want" food and don't have actual gnawing, hunger-pangs that I can never ignore. I find I can go on to bed/sleep at midnight without eating something to quell anay desire to "taste" some particular food. We humans often WANT food but don't actually have HUNGER. I often feel less hungry the next morning when I wake up, too, eating supper later. But I still make myself eat breakfast. I NOW think the regularly-spaced intake of food is more essential to our metabolic systems than we realize, to avoid them thinking there is a "famine" and readjusting everything. That's one of the main reasons I stopped JUDDDing, really, despite the psychological feeling of being genuinely "deprived" on DD's.

If you're inclined to eat supper early, pushing that big meal off later might have the same effect on you. Man, those are the ONLY days I don't experience NES. And like you, it's a tough "habit/addiction" to beat.
__________________
Peggy
My recipe website: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/

Last edited by buttoni; 03-17-2013 at 08:04 AM..
buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #41
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
FWIW Linda, I, too, have had issues with NES. Partly because I stay up until midnight; partly because my husband is a late night snacker, right in front of me. NOTHING has worked for me that some say helps, like eating a high protein breakfast w/in 30 minutes of rising, eating more, smaller meals throughout the day, IF or JUDDD. What consistently keeps me from snacking at night is eating 3 normal meals, at around 6AM, 12 NOON, and my large dinner around 7PM and then eating nothing else (only fluids after 7pm).

You see, when I was growing up and most of my adult life, Mom and I always served dinner around 5:30-6pm. Probably because both my folks were raised on farms where folks tend to eat their evening meal earlier and then they usually went to bed shortly after dark, because they were TIRED doing farm chores all day long.

BIG mistake for me. When I am forced to hold dinner over until 7pm (due to hubby away from the house or it's just not done yet), I consistently find I NEVER get hungry again before bedtime. I've had a BIG meal to recently. If I do experience hunger after that late dinner, it's not that gnawing, hunger-pang kind of hunger I can't just ignore. I find I can go on to bed/sleep at midnight without eating something to quell it. I often feel less hungry the next morning when I wake up. But I still make myself eat breakfast. I NOW think the regular intake of food is essential to our metabolic systems to avoid them thinking there is a "famine" and readjusting everything. That's one of the main reasons I stopped JUDDDing, really, despite the psychological feeling of being genuinely "deprived" on DD's.

If you're inclined to eat supper early, pushing that big meal off later might have the same effect on you. Man, those are the ONLY days I don't experience NES. And like you, it's a tough "habit/addiction" to beat.
So nice to see you here and to our group!!

I agree with everything you are saying here and 4 out of 7 days I can do the later dinner. The problem is the nights I have to go do a house party. Some days I have to eat at 4 because I have to leave for work and I'm really not that hungry then so I just eat a little something, and then don't get home until 10 or 11! I'm so hungry by then and in the past would eat something like a sandwich and sometimes even a meal when I got home. My way of thinking was I didn't really have dinner so I should eat now but eating that late and going to bed is, as we all know, NOT good!

I have, though been eating a bigger meal at that 4 dinner hour and it IS helping. I'm not that hungry anymore, and the hunger I am feeling I can usually quell with coffee and lemon water when I get home. It does get better and better as the days go by and I'm learning new tools/tricks and REALLY listening again to my hunger!

Thanks for the ideas and hope to see you posting more for us!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #42
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!
 
DiamondDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 74,289
Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I used to get up in the middle of the night & eat but I haven't done that for many years.

I am a night owl and fight that every single day. I am using a sleep app (last night was day 100) to track & that is helping me to correct that problem by forming better sleep habits. I do think being a night owl has been a major factor for me.

Dinner was just a prelude to mindless snacking all evening & I'd eat until close to bedtime. Even if the food is healthy it is not something that works for fat loss.

I have followed all sorts of specific nutrition plans over the years (everything from 3 meals to eating every 3 hrs) and, a while back, I started thinking about what things worked best for me. I was formulating my own customized plan.

What worked best for me in the past was three meals per day - no snacking. I recall starting a program that allowed two snacks in addition to meals and deciding not to include the snacks because snacking was a big problem for me.

Now I'm feeling great and getting good fat loss results by eating three well-spaced meals (I shoot for 5 hrs between meals) with dinner finished at least 3 hours before bedtime & 12 hrs before I eat breakfast. The timing is based on a lot of research I did and the most common science-based suggestions for good health. Amusingly, I found different nutrition gurus had different science-based reasons for the same suggestions.

With this plan I need to be sure I eat enough at meals so that I am satisfied or it just doesn't work. I usually do well eating this way & do not feel the need to snack. It really feels good to be in control.
__________________
It’s truly remarkable how successful Madison Avenue has been at indoctrinating
eating habits that produce huge profits for giant multinational corporations
– and developing devastating health consequences for consumers –
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 03-17-2013 at 10:44 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #43
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I used to get up in the middle of the night & eat but I haven't done that for many years.

I am a night owl and fight that every single day. I am using a sleep app (last night was day 100) to track & that is helping me to correct that problem by forming better sleep habits. I do think being a night owl has been a major factor for me.

Dinner was just a prelude to mindless snacking all evening & I'd eat until close to bedtime. Even if the food is healthy it is not something that works for fat loss.

I have followed all sorts of specific nutrition plans over the years (everything from 3 meals to eating every 3 hrs) and, a while back, I started thinking about what things worked best for me. I was formulating my own customized plan.

What worked best for me in the past was three meals per day - no snacking. I recall starting a program that allowed two snacks in addition to meals and deciding not to include the snacks because snacking was a big problem for me.

Now I'm feeling great and getting good fat loss results by eating three well-spaced meals (I shoot for 5 hrs between meals) with dinner finished at least 3 hours before bedtime & 12 hrs before I eat breakfast. The timing is based on a lot of research I did and the most common science-based suggestions for good health. Amusingly, I found different nutrition gurus had different science-based reasons for the same suggestions.

With this plan I need to be sure I eat enough at meals so that I am satisfied or it just doesn't work. I usually do well eating this way & do not feel the need to snack. It really feels good to be in control.
This is very interesting to me! I would like to pick your brain if I can.

Are you doing LC? Or watching calories/counting calories during those 3 meals? Or are you just eating what you want, until you're full?

Thanks for this info and for coming on this thread with your experiences and suggestions!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #44
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!
 
DiamondDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 74,289
Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
This is very interesting to me! I would like to pick your brain if I can.

Are you doing LC? Or watching calories/counting calories during those 3 meals? Or are you just eating what you want, until you're full?

Thanks for this info and for coming on this thread with your experiences and suggestions!
After eliminating all the foods that I've determined are not good for my health, I'm definitely eating LC. My carbs come almost exclusively from veggies.

I don't weigh or measure but I do track using guesstimates because I have a tendency to under-eat. Seeing a low number encourages me to add more food to my meals.

I like to eat until I am not quite full. Being full can border on uncomfortable. When I eat a little less than that I end up feeling satisfied for hours.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #45
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
After eliminating all the foods that I've determined are not good for my health, I'm definitely eating LC. My carbs come almost exclusively from veggies.

I don't weigh or measure but I do track using guesstimates because I have a tendency to under-eat. Seeing a low number encourages me to add more food to my meals.

I like to eat until I am not quite full. Being full can border on uncomfortable. When I eat a little less than that I end up feeling satisfied for hours.
Thank you so much for sharing this and I am finding that it's not the veggie/complex carbs that are the trigger and issue for me but the sugar carbs that are the major demon with my fight on binging/night eating!

I think your way may be a great way to get back on track!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.