Old 09-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
Even if you guys get a largely negative response here, I don't think anyone would begrudge someone doing the best for them. I am very happy you both found your way and are thriving on this plan.
Exactly. We all need to find what works for each of us.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmop View Post
According to him, I would do well as a vegetarian. I'll stick to high fat meats, thanks.
Me too.
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
I looked into this diet a few years ago. According to the author, I need to eat vegetables, nuts, seeds and legumes and stay away from animal proteins.I have done so well on LC that I don't want to take a chance and change my woe. I would consider it if I were a type O. Everyone is different with their woe and goals. YMMV. Do what ever works for you.
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
Start Date: September 3, 2013
I am a die hard Atkins girl, but my sister in law reversed some health problems using the blood type diet. Issues that troubled her for years. She is very happy with it and has followed the principles for years.
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
Start Date: April 2013 restart
If it works for you that's wonderful...I have a TON of people who think Atkins is ridiculous, dangerous, and just down right impossible to follow.

I am type O+ .... Have lost 44 pounds so far this time on Atkins, and have no problem whatsoever with cheese or any dairy products. I eat sour cream, cream cheese, and heavy whipping cream sometimes daily. My health is better than it has ever been. My allergies are practically gone. Pork is my main meat that I eat.

I think that is why some people have a problem with the diet. Nothing relates to me in the O+ blood type. Makes it hard to take it seriously. jmo
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jemmi
Stats: 268/253.5/248 (mini-goal)
WOE: Dr. D'Adamo's Blood Type Food Plan
Start Date: August 6, 2013
Hi tobelowcarber,

Yes, being a non-secretor does present some different challenges for you. But on a happy note, you have found the optimal plan to assist you in having good health.

I have not yet read about the Geno-type, but I'm sure there is info online, from his website. I love going there to check out the food lists, to see what I should eat, and what I should not. There are a few items that are not on the list, but a general search will yield results, as others before me had the same question. lol

And did you see that a new cookbook for each blood type is going to be released in the first few days of October? I'm thinking about getting it, but I have also been finding recipes online as well.

I do realize that the food plan is for health and that weight loss is a side bonus, but I've been dieting most of my life (I'm now 60), and I still have dieter's mentality. But I do have this sense of inner calmness knowing I'm eating the foods that love me back, and don't kick and scream all the way down and then out, or move in by planting themselves on my body in the form of fat.

I love making a huge pot of soup/stew with all things beneficial, and I freeze some and then still have plenty left to munch on all through the week.

As far as the body type, you are not really overweight, so it would be harder to figure out your body type by the way you look; but most likely can tell by what foods you crave.

Thyroid-types have a waistline, no matter how obese they are (but if they have a large stomach, then to see the waistline, you must look at them from their backside). Wide hips and thighs, or a normally-weighted person who became fat in their middle area. And they have "skinny" feet/ankles, hands/wrists. (Skinny meaning they are not puffy, not that their foot itself is skinny.) When they are exhausted and have cravings, they usually want carbs and caffeine, like a cup of coffee and some goodie, because the thyroid is the only gland that is cyclic. It comes on, and shuts off, which is why a T-Type will have a mid-morning, and a mid-afternoon slump. The other glands run 24/7. They tend to crave sweets. The first wave of tiredness along with an urge to snack comes on about 1 1/2 hours after stimulating the thyroid with the consumption of starches or caffeine. The second wave of fatigue comes 3-4 hours later. If you need to snack, then snack on protein.

Pituitary types are easily recognizable when they are heavy, because they are pudgy from head to toe. And NO cellulite. Amazing! Why are they pudgy from head to toe? Because the Pituitary is the Master Gland, and it does not dictate a location to store fat, so it stores it over the entire body. P-Types crave dairy products. They can look like they have "baby-fat" all over with a child-like stomach.

Gonadal types are really easy to identify. They are normally-weighted from the waist up, but from the waist down, their hips and rear-end are much larger than normal. Their rear-end has a shelf-like appearance. They have saddlebags at the tops of their thighs, and they crave creamy and spicy foods. They prefer sour cream and chips, or Mexican food over a slice of cake with ice cream.

Adrenal types, when obese, have stubborn pockets of fat on their stomachs, backs, and upper arms; and their rear-ends are flat. They have sturdy thighs usually, and they look athletic even if they don't do any exercise, nor engage in sports. They do not have much of a waist curve. They crave meat, salt, and alcohol.

Dr. Abravanel says there is an herbal tea for each type that helps to calm down the over-stimulated gland, which is part of the problem in the first place.

T's: Raspberry leaf tea
P's: Fenugreek tea
G's: Red Clover tea
A's: Parsley tea

See...I love gathering info goodies like this from many sources, as it helps me understand myself more and what is going on. I feel it is to my advantage, and it's just plain fun to get to know ME more.

Take care, everyone!

TWICE A BEGGAR--"It's something we all wish for, and something we're all afraid of...To feel nothing when it hurts, and to feel everything when it doesn't." - Merrit Malloy
jemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/123.2/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Jemmi- if the food is not listed, that usually means that has not been tested yet and can be considered neutral.

I am sure I will be getting the new cookbook soon, I have all his books. His health library books along with the encyclopedia are amazing. Cook Right For Your Type is also excellent. There is a large collection of recipes on his website.

As far as genotype is concerned it takes a while to take all the measurements. He has created a very sophisticated software called SWAMI, that let you input all your body measurements, shapes, etc and than gives you even more detailed food plan. You can take all the measurements yourself and than input this into very long questionnaire on line. I did not have to do it, as I went the visit the clinic myself where they took all my measurements. It took like 1.5 hr to get this done. I turned out to be a Nomad. The food list did not change too much from my b type diet, but it is nice to have something tailored to your genotype and blood type.

Interesting info about the body types!

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Hi Marika,

Thanks for the Geno-Type info. If my metabolic, body, and blood type are indicate a protein eater, I wonder if looking at the choices for the Geno-Type, I could perhaps select the one closest to my Geno-Type. I don't feel like doing all that measuring, although I'll think about it.

Yes, I realize that some foods have not been tested yet, but there was one food that was not listed, but I did get a search and got a result, because what popped up on the monitor was a page from his website that had more info. I'm not explaining myself very well, but I think it was under the category/tab of Ask Dr. D'Adamo. I've just started reading their forum. It's set up just like on LCF, which is nice.

My main interest, just the same as when I was doing the Atkins plan, is to have enough readily available foods so I can make a quick meal when necessary. By expanding on the foods and recipes, I think I can accomplish that very nicely. And in this past month, there were at least two times where my life and schedule for a meal didn't come together here at home, and so I ate out, and I just did the best I could, and didn't worry about it at all. I still felt good, and lost weight. I'm happy!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:38 AM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Wow, lots of interesting conversation here that I hope continues! I read this book a couple of years ago and found a lot of 'truths' in it for me. I don't follow it exactly by any means but I have cut out or at least cut down on most of the Avoid foods. I think what sold me on this book was that there were several foods that I loved but I was finding them questionable as part of my diet for various reasons---sure enough they were on the Avoid list. I'm an AB by the way.

Question---I don't remember anything about the 'secretor' thing in the book. How do you determine if you are one or not?
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
I haven't read the book but am finding the info very interesting, thanks!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Jemmi- you can very well be Gatherer genotype. Many type O who have hard time losing weight are Gatherers. I don't know if that's the case with you, it is just my guess.
I feel like blood type diet is sufficient enough. Maybe Genotype diet is something down the road you may want to pursuit. I think with knowing your secretor status you have enough to make the blood type diet work very well for you. There is also MM/NN status- but not too many labs will do this test and it does not changes much in terms of food values.

Teresa- the secretor status is not covered in his first book. You may want to read Live Right For Your Type. When I got my secretor test many years ago it was a saliva test that you do by mail. Last time I checked for my friend it was a blood test. I feel that knowing your secretor status is important if you really want to do this right. It changes status on some foods. For example for me, tomatoes were avoid, but since I am non-secretor they are now neutral. Few of the beneficial foods are now only neutral, etc.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Wow, lots of interesting conversation here that I hope continues! I read this book a couple of years ago and found a lot of 'truths' in it for me. I don't follow it exactly by any means but I have cut out or at least cut down on most of the Avoid foods. I think what sold me on this book was that there were several foods that I loved but I was finding them questionable as part of my diet for various reasons---sure enough they were on the Avoid list. I'm an AB by the way.

Question---I don't remember anything about the 'secretor' thing in the book. How do you determine if you are one or not?
Hi Teresa,

You can purchase a Secretor test for about $10, or at least that's what it cost many years ago. It's a saliva test, and it's sent to a lab, and then you get the results by mail (if my memory does not fail me).

If you don't want to go to the cost or make the effort, then just follow the Secretor food guide. Non-secretors systems gear them for certain health issues, so they have to be a bit more careful with their food choices.

Have you gone to the website and looked up your blood type? It's quite interesting as you have the mixed inheritance of both A and B genes.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Marika, I guess we were both typing at the same time, but you finished first...sorry to double over your explanation of the Secretor test, but happy that you could explain it better.

I'm just feeling so jazzed right now. I guess I'm easy to please. But when I was on low-carb, I ate a little bit of fruit like blueberries and strawberries, nervous that I would not lose, or even gain.

Yesterday, I ate an entire mango, and spaced throughout the day, I ate 4 squares of bittersweet chocolate with almonds (I usually only have one), as they are 5 grams of real sugar...but this morning, I lost another pound.

Boy, I guess I was in a mood yesterday, because that's the first time I ate that much fruit and real chocolate. My old dieters' mentality was wagging its finger at me, but my new beliefs and thought patterns said it wasn't going to be an issue to worry about; and it wasn't. Something else that is new to me is learning to find a way to include Club Soda as it's Beneficial. I mix it with pineapple juice and some ice. This is my new soda. It's refreshing!

My new motto: Think health, not diet.

No one pinch me, because I don't want to wake up from this dream! lol
Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Jemmi- you can very well be Gatherer genotype. Many type O who have hard time losing weight are Gatherers. I don't know if that's the case with you, it is just my guess.
That sounds reasonable.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: Your guess is as good as mine...
Start Date: Start date: Constantly!
I read the book awhile ago and should be doing a low carb type WOE, and as much as I love chowing down on high carb food I really do feel best eating low carb. Being an O positive I should give up coconut according to the book, but I don't seem to have issues with coconut oil at least so I'm hanging on to it.

My mom followed it for 2 years (though she didn't know she was following it) and felt awesome, she had to cut out certain foods because of allergies and her doctor's list of foods to avoid were pretty much dead on for the avoidance list for O blood type. She still follows it but not as strictly.

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

That's fantastic Jemmi- you will only continue to lose and feel great!

I chose to eat lower carb because it helps my colitis (which by the way got amazingly better on BTD and I believe if it was not for BTD, I would probably be without my colon) and keeps my hormonal cravings at bay. I sort of do combination of BTD, LC, SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) and SLD (Shangri La Diet). BTD is my Bible though so whatever I do I never touch any avoids even though they may be allowed on LC or SCD. In fact I have not eaten any avoids in the past 12 years.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Becky- the coconut oil status changes for type O non-secretor, so if you are non-secretor, coconut oil is allowed. Also, sometimes avoids may not give you any reaction that will point to you that you are not tolerating it.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: Your guess is as good as mine...
Start Date: Start date: Constantly!
Quote:
Becky- the coconut oil status changes for type O non-secretor, so if you are non-secretor, coconut oil is allowed. Also, sometimes avoids may not give you any reaction that will point to you that you are not tolerating it.
Good to know.

I really should re-read the book, I own it for goodness sakes.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #49
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for all the info ladies! I will definitely look for the Live Right book this weekend, I didn't realize he had another book. I was thinking I would look into the secretor/saliva test as well however after spending some time on his site and looking at the food tables it doesn't look like it would really matter---the things that I love that are Avoids are Avoids either way. But after I do some more reading I may end up wanting to take the test anyway just to see.

I tried to look around on the forums there but didn't find anything specific to AB's...which I know are rare but I was really hoping for some more specific and real life information. If anyone knows of another place I might be able to find such info I would be very interested!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Good to know.

I really should re-read the book, I own it for goodness sakes.
I was just thinking the same thing so after a little hunting I finally found mine!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Teresa- type in AB in the search window on his website and you will find few posts. The message board is not divided by blood type but there are many AB members there.
AB- makes you one unique person
Old 09-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Marika,

I have a question for you. I've been looking online, but the results so far are confusing.

Essene bread is made from sprouted whole grains, like wheat, or rye. When it is in that stage (young sprouts), does it contain gluten? It would seem like it would not, yet I was watching a video online and a doctor was saying that the fact that it is a grain automatically means it has gluten in it, whether it is at the young sprout stage or not.

If that is true, then how could Essene bread be Beneficial?

I used to eat a well-known bread carried in health food stores because it said flourless, figuring no flour equals no gluten, and while that may be true, I was shocked to see at the very end of the ingredient list, they ADD wheat gluten!

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Jemmi- I am sorry but I am not very familiar with Essene bread. You may want to post this question on BTD board. Essene bread might be beneficial but if the company adds gluten and other junk ingredients it will not be beneficial anymore. I used to buy those nice breads for DH in HFS. It was frozen bread (millet, almond, rice flour) they had few nice breads, till they started adding junk ingredients. Same thing happen with Ezekiel bread, they started adding wheat gluten to it and there was lots of talk about it on BTD board. People stopped using it.
I know it is nice to have ready made bread but unfortunately there is not much there that is clean.
Thankfully I don't eat any grains so that's easy for me, but for DH I either bake spelt bread (in bread machine) or buy it ready made (Berlin Co). I use spelt and oat flour to bake muffins, banana bread, cookies, etc. I also use lots of almond flour to bake bread and muffins.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Jemmi- I am sorry but I am not very familiar with Essene bread. You may want to post this question on BTD board. Essene bread might be beneficial but if the company adds gluten and other junk ingredients it will not be beneficial anymore. I used to buy those nice breads for DH in HFS. It was frozen bread (millet, almond, rice flour) they had few nice breads, till they started adding junk ingredients. Same thing happen with Ezekiel bread, they started adding wheat gluten to it and there was lots of talk about it on BTD board. People stopped using it.
I know it is nice to have ready made bread but unfortunately there is not much there that is clean.
Thankfully I don't eat any grains so that's easy for me, but for DH I either bake spelt bread (in bread machine) or buy it ready made (Berlin Co). I use spelt and oat flour to bake muffins, banana bread, cookies, etc. I also use lots of almond flour to bake bread and muffins.
Essene bread is very pure, and it's a matter of sprouting the hard wheat berries and then the sprouts are put into a processor and then you take that "mush," add salt if desired, form into a loaf and bake low and slow. From the recipe I found online, it says the outside will be crunchy, and the inside soft, and that it has a nice flavor.

As far as the Ezekiel bread (I was trying to avoid the name on here), yes, they are the ones who add wheat gluten. I was so disappointed when I read that. What is the point of saying "flourless" if they are going to add one of the main reasons for avoiding flour (gluten) right back in? It's silly...

I will look into spelt, and oat flours. From being on low-carb before, I still continue to make muffins, cakes, and pancakes from the "3-minute flourless cake" recipe on here. I remove the cocoa when I want pancakes and plain muffins, and for the chocolate cake, I find that doubling the recipe makes for a more moist, and flavorful cake. The recipe is basically equal ratio of measure for almond meal and flax seed meal, and then add baking powder if you want, (1/4 tsp. when using 1/4 c. of flax and almonds meals), and one egg, some water and oil. I don't measure, but I'd say it's about 1/8 cup of each. Salt, cinnamon, stevia, berries, nuts, are all optional.

I just read online a stunning article about the ill effects of gluten. Has nothing to do with weight loss. But it was saying that there was a time in history, during a war when flour was not available so people and the number of people with schizophrenia went down, and after the war, and flour was once again available, the number of those afflicted with schizophrenia went back up. It's also associated with Ataxia (balance problems), seizures, autism, behavior disorders, and neuropathy. Boy! Those are compelling reasons to avoid grains with glutens.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

In my post above, when I spoke of the Essene (Manna) bread, I called the chopped/grounded up sprouts as "mush," but I meant dough. The consistency is like dough.

When sprouted, they become very sweet (since, through sprouting, the starches in the grains are converted to sugars) and once ground, produce a workable dough which holds together well when shaped into loaves.

And before you bake it, you can add stuff like chopped fruit, seeds, nuts, and spices. And...this bread is Beneficial for ALL blood types, and Super-Beneficial for Types B and AB.

Other grains, like rye, can be sprouted and ground up, not just wheat.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #56
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I have not read the book, but my mom did and she said the descriptions of both her and my dad were spot-on (one O and one A). She said they don't follow either diet carefully, but lean toward the general principals.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I have not read the book, but my mom did and she said the descriptions of both her and my dad were spot-on (one O and one A). She said they don't follow either diet carefully, but lean toward the general principals.
Hi Gina,

If they are in good health, they can apply the 80/20 rule, which I was so sure I saw someone else talk about in these posts, but anyway...Stay with the blood type foods 80% of the time, and the other foods only 20% of the time. Of course, you can make it any ratio you want.

Because I have health issues, I follow the plan 90-95% of the time, and then 5-10% of the other stuff, because there are times when I'm out of the house and need to eat, so I do the best I can, and food you don't generally prepare yourself is almost always going to include some that are less beneficial for your blood type.

I'm an O, and my brother is a B, and I have fun with it, telling him all the foods he can eat that I can't and vice-versa; so your parents can have fun with it too.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Huh, I'd never heard of it but when I checked out the doctor's website... he actually got a LOT of things right about me (I'm type O-). I do have low thyroid, and insulin resistance, and he was spot on about how I handle stress and other things like that. Whether those were just lucky guesses or not, I have no idea. I might buy into the fact that your blood type can make you more susceptible to certain illnesses or weaknesses. But I wouldn't change my diet over it. I'm happy and healthy where I am
Hi raindroproses. I love that nick! Although I wouldn't think that low-thyroid and insulin resistance embodies the word "healthy," I'm glad you are happy.

I think each person has to be ready at their own time. And push may come to shove if your health takes an even more downward plunge. You know, like the little snowball at the top of the hill gets bigger going down? lol Age only adds to it. grrr

Take care!