Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Coconut Oil Confusion?????? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/799090-coconut-oil-confusion.html)

lonestarstamper 03-09-2013 12:39 PM

Coconut Oil Confusion??????

I am trying to use CO for all of my cooking because I have read and heard so many good health benefits. My confusion is...What CO has the least CO flavor? I don't mind the CO flavor in baked goods or coffee, etc, but I really don't like my eggs to taste like CO. I have been using the Refined CO from Spectrum and it does not have a flavor, but my concern is if it has the health benefits the same as Extra Virgin CO. Do any of you long time LC or experienced CO users have any suggestions or brands for me to try? Thanks for helping. I really want to continue using CO, I just want to make sure that I am getting the healthy benefits in doing so.:dunno:

MtherGoos 03-09-2013 12:47 PM

I'll be anxious to see the responses too. Coconut oil is confusing for me! LOL. I just bought a jar of organic coconut oil, because it's all my local store had, so I'm hoping it's the right thing! If not, I'll use it on my skin, and get something else to cook with!

picklepete 03-09-2013 12:48 PM

I think the nutritional differences are very minor, so use the refined type if you like it. I personally make so many desserts with coconut milk/flour/butter than I'm more worried about an overdose. :p

lterry913 03-09-2013 02:25 PM

Virgin and extra virgin have taste...refined has no taste or smell. Spectrum carries both kinds at most local stores. Also if it says cold expeller pressed it will taste and smell like coconut. There is a cheaper brand called LouAnn that I use for some things, has no taste or smell...some say it is made from inferior coconuts but the price is right and you can get it at wallyworld.

juliekaboolie 03-09-2013 06:35 PM

I have no idea, although I've read that the unrefined is better, but I have no way to verify that! LOL! I actually like the flavor...but, then again, I don't eat eggs, so I don't get the coconut flavor issue. I can see why you'd be wondering this!

lterry913 03-09-2013 06:46 PM

Refined vs. Unrefined Refined Coconut Oil

A refined coconut oil is usually rather tasteless and odorless. Because it has been refined, it can usually withstand slightly higher cooking temperatures before reaching its smoke point. Refined coconut oils are excellent for cooking foods where you need lots of clean, pure, malleable fat without a dominating coconut flavor. (Think pie crusts or french fries.) Refined coconut oils do not offer the same health benefits of a virgin, completely raw coconut oil, but they are still excellent sources of most of the beneficial fatty acids (like MCTs). As a given, almost all the coconut oils available in your grocery store or vitamin store are refined unless they specifically say otherwise on their label.
This is from marks daily aple

Dottie 03-11-2013 05:54 AM

I find Nutiva has almost no coconut taste. It's the one I use for cooking.

raindroproses 03-11-2013 07:54 AM

Definitely use REFINED coconut oil for cooking scenarios where you don't want a coconut flavor in your dish. You can usually find this type at any grocery store, and it's usually quite cheap too :)

If you're looking for a coconut flavor, you'll want to look for a variety that's unrefined. I find that most often at health food stores :)

inspiration 03-11-2013 09:02 AM

I just started using coconut oil and I use Nutiva as well and it has a very mild coconut taste. I love it. I eat it by the spoon full.

jem51 03-11-2013 09:14 AM

The benefits ARE in refined, as well. Virgin just has more solids. MCT's are in both.
Organiic, refined is way to go IMHO due to lack of chemical processing but any CO has MCT's.

I only use organic, refined.

lonestarstamper 03-11-2013 06:27 PM

Thanks everyone that has posted a reply. I am happy to be confirmed by you that I don't have to eat eggs that taste like coconut to get the health benefits. Dottie....is there only one variety of Nutiva or does it matter??? thanks

inspiration 03-11-2013 08:11 PM

I'm not sure if there is different kinds but i get the nutiva that is organic virgin coconut oil.

fiddlejen 03-12-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jem51 (Post 16309123)
The benefits ARE in refined, as well. Virgin just has more solids. MCT's are in both.
Organiic, refined is way to go IMHO due to lack of chemical processing but any CO has MCT's.

I only use organic, refined.

I'm so glad to hear this! I was just shopping for coconut oil, to replace some I got last week. I bought virgin un-refined organic etc CO, thinking it was the nice mild non-flavored kind that I had been using... and found out I was wrong. YUCK! I do NOT like the taste nor texture of coconut, never have. Wasted some other expensive ingredients by cooking something only to find it tasted all coconutty! :sick: blehh!

So yesterday I went back and got the non-virgin, non-coconut-tasting, refined kind instead. But I was kind of worried that it might be non-beneficial too! I'm very glad to hear otherwise!

While I was shopping I saw a very strange thing. A bottle of "Liquid Coconut Oil." Liquid at room temperature. Ingredient list says only pure coconut oil. Says it has 93% MCTs instead of 62%. Also says it's good for high heat cooking. I considered buying it, but then I saw the price: $32 for a less-than-16-oz bottle.

Has anyone heard of this? How do they get the liquid oil out of the solid oil? Is this some process that looks great but, another decade down-the-line, will turn out to be bad for us all??

Dottie 03-12-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonestarstamper (Post 16310409)
Thanks everyone that has posted a reply. I am happy to be confirmed by you that I don't have to eat eggs that taste like coconut to get the health benefits. Dottie....is there only one variety of Nutiva or does it matter??? thanks

Just the 1 type, I believe.

dawnyama 03-14-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16306196)
Virgin and extra virgin have taste...refined has no taste or smell. Spectrum carries both kinds at most local stores. Also if it says cold expeller pressed it will taste and smell like coconut. There is a cheaper brand called LouAnn that I use for some things, has no taste or smell...some say it is made from inferior coconuts but the price is right and you can get it at wallyworld.

My coconut oil is expeller pressed and has no taste and no coconut smell. I buy Tropical Traditions. The virgin has the taste, the expeller pressed has no taste.

dawnyama 03-14-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlejen (Post 16311273)
I'm so glad to hear this! I was just shopping for coconut oil, to replace some I got last week. I bought virgin un-refined organic etc CO, thinking it was the nice mild non-flavored kind that I had been using... and found out I was wrong. YUCK! I do NOT like the taste nor texture of coconut, never have. Wasted some other expensive ingredients by cooking something only to find it tasted all coconutty! :sick: blehh!

So yesterday I went back and got the non-virgin, non-coconut-tasting, refined kind instead. But I was kind of worried that it might be non-beneficial too! I'm very glad to hear otherwise!

While I was shopping I saw a very strange thing. A bottle of "Liquid Coconut Oil." Liquid at room temperature. Ingredient list says only pure coconut oil. Says it has 93% MCTs instead of 62%. Also says it's good for high heat cooking. I considered buying it, but then I saw the price: $32 for a less-than-16-oz bottle.

Has anyone heard of this? How do they get the liquid oil out of the solid oil? Is this some process that looks great but, another decade down-the-line, will turn out to be bad for us all??

Your experience reminds me of my first baking experience with the virgin coconut oil. A whole batch of brownies in the trash :sad: Overwhelming coconuts we don't like :sick: I love the expeller pressed for my baking and cooking. The virgin is for when I eat it by the spoon for all the benefits. I have not heard of the liquid that you posted about. So I googled! I have not heard or seen it anywhere. It seems to be a good product. Not necessary as it is just coconut oil that won't solidify. Higher MCTs won't do much for you personally, so maybe just a way to make a buck! Just buy coconut oil where you normally do and save your money. And no, I don't believe down the line it will be harmful. Unless you are talking about your wallet. That price is very steep!!!! I pay not much more for a whole gallon of the stuff.

lonestarstamper 03-14-2013 03:50 PM

Thanks Dawnyama....I will have to check out this kind too. I really don't like to waste food, but i just could not eat the coconut flavored eggs. I have read really good articles on using the MCT'S too.

kiwistars 03-23-2013 02:09 AM

all CO is liquid at room temperature unless the room is cool.I think from memory the melting point is 26 celcius(82F?).
I guess it is a branding exercise or other advertising concept?

Ntombi 03-23-2013 07:10 AM

No, the melting point is 76*, so whether it's liquid, solid, or somewhere in between, is a crapshoot in my house most of the time.