Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: uhhuhher
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 28, 2011
Aldi had Kerrygold Cheese today

Just an FYI - Made a visit to Aldi today and they had Kerrygold Cheese for 2.99!! Blarney and Dubliner. That is for 7 ounces. At Kroger they charge 7.00 for 7 ounces. Maybe someday I will find Kerrygold Butter at Aldi.. that would make my year
uhhuhher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 254/223/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 1/2014
I just read somewhere that Aldi and Trader Joes are owned by the same co, so maybe they will start having a few of those higher end healthy choice available at Aldis
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
Start Date: 7/12/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhuhher View Post
Just an FYI - Made a visit to Aldi today and they had Kerrygold Cheese for 2.99!! Blarney and Dubliner. That is for 7 ounces. At Kroger they charge 7.00 for 7 ounces. Maybe someday I will find Kerrygold Butter at Aldi.. that would make my year
I saw that too. Fantastic isn't it!!!

Although it probably won't be a permanent thing. I think their ad said it was a St. Patrick's day related special buy.
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I live in Germany, where Aldi's began.

There are tons of Trader Joe's products in the Aldi's here - including their nuts, salads, dried fruits, etc. (it was started by the same people as Aldi's)

Also, at most Aldi's, which are still known for being SUPER cheap, you can find affordable cage-free organic eggs (so chickens that were able to go outside), organic dairy products (cheese, yogurt, milk, butter), and some grass-fed meats in the freezer section.

This is a relative new offering of Aldi's in Germany, where the people are starting to become more selective about the animal products they buy due to extensive media coverage of really bad factory farming conditions.

Also keep in mind, the Aldi's brothers - the guys that began Aldi's - never introduced the store "Trader Joe's" in Germany, they simply added some organic choices to the Aldi stores already here.

Anyway, my point is:

1. If the Americans start showing a preference for organic/grassfed products like the Germans, even though they cost a bit more, I think there is a very good possibility that they will start to carry the options in their American stores as well on a regular basis....

2. If one of the Aldi's brothers is reading this post: PLEASE open a Trader Joe's store in Germany!

There is an organic, whole foods supermarket here in Germany somewhat similar to Whole Foods, but much smaller. Like Whole Foods, the prices are out of this world! My husband and I are certainly not poor and we believe in spending a larger portion of our income on quality food, but even we couldn't really afford eating their everyday.

By the way, another thing that is sort of funny: Kerrygold butter and cheese is not expensive at all in Germany ($2 for a block of butter). It is at every supermarket - here, it really isn't anything special. There are tons of other, higher quality butter and cheese options.

I'm guessing one of the reasons it is so expensive is because Kerrygold doesn't have much grassfed butter competition in America.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
Start Date: 7/12/11
No Kerrygold at the Aldi I went to today. It was a sad day.
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
If the Aldi's here carried organics, grassfed beef, etc I would consider shopping there. Those are the kind of things I buy & I'd like to save money on them. As it is I don't think there is any reason to waste the gas going to the north side of town to check out what they have.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just went to my aldis and wooohooo they had the cheese,,,,both kinds..i hope we like it and then i will buy more to freeze since it said while supplies last....sadly no kerrygold butter though
Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Kerrygold

While I like the butter .. I found the cheese too sharp or something. Didn't particularly care for it.

On the other hand I found some organic baby bella jack cheese by Sierra Nevada that was Awesome!
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrystal View Post
While I like the butter .. I found the cheese too sharp or something. Didn't particularly care for it.

On the other hand I found some organic baby bella jack cheese by Sierra Nevada that was Awesome!
We love love love sharp cheeses and one of them we really loved....the other we thought tasted like farmers cheese and we could just eat it cheaper....but tonight i will go back for the one we did like...
Old 03-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/235/160
WOE: No Sugar, No Grains, No Dairy, No Nuts
Hmmm, I need to go to Aldi's!
FitMommyNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2012
Unna
Wish the UK Aldi was as good. I tend to be wary of the meats etc because the items are "cheap", worry they are from countries with less scrupulous rearers. That said, love the German things they stock-no concerns with any of those. Never seen Trader Jacks anywhere-we now have an American store Wholefoods and it is a delight to shop in, but they won't get rich on us! It is lovely to try different things every so often! Wonder if they sell any Trader Jacks?
Vita oldie is offline   Reply With Quote