Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Peanut butter!!!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798963-peanut-butter.html)

starglazer 03-07-2013 04:05 PM

Peanut butter!!!!

Does anyone have major problems handling peanut butter? I constantly crave the stuff and I have control issues with it. I can go thru an entire jar in not time. Does anyone else have this problem??

clackley 03-07-2013 04:40 PM

I use to have 'portion control issues' with peanuts and peanut butter until I banned it completely. Now, years later, I am no longer tempted. I think it is fairly common. Peanuts are legumes and this explains the problem in my mind.

VooDooDoll 03-07-2013 04:47 PM

Yes I do. Its hard to resist. I know its not cost effective but perhaps buy those individual portioned ones by JIF

marieze 03-07-2013 04:49 PM

I eat Trader Joe's peanut butter all the time and have no problem. Sometimes I don't know what to eat and want something to stick to my ribs....I Think nothing of sitting down and having several tablespoons at a time! Ymmv!

Just make sure it's just peanuts and salt for ingredients!:yummy:

DressageLover 03-07-2013 04:57 PM

Yes! I have a terrible problem with peanut butter and pretty much all nuts for that matter. I finally ate my way through all the nuts in my house and now we have none - so I don't have to worry about it.
The thing with nuts and nut butters is that they are SO high calorie, I gain when I eat them.
Maybe someday....

tobelowcarber 03-07-2013 05:02 PM

Not peanut butter but all other nuts (macadamias, almonds, walnuts, pecans). I am simply addicted to nuts and can't have just handful. I have no self control when it comes to nuts.

picklepete 03-07-2013 05:52 PM

It's pretty common. You could try some plain peanuts in the shell and see if you have a similar reaction--I do much better when I have to crack them and clean up afterward.

gdever1975 03-07-2013 06:48 PM

Me too! I was just looking at the jar thinking "when did I buy that?...Oh Friday, a week tomorrow." It's almost gone :( I won't buy more. Too tempting.

muncheechee 03-07-2013 06:56 PM

I no longer buy it because I can't stay out of it. I'm going to try almond butter again and see if I have control issues or not.

dazygyrl 03-07-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muncheechee (Post 16302715)
I no longer buy it because I can't stay out of it. I'm going to try almond butter again and see if I have control issues or not.

good luck with that. :doh: it's just as :yummy: as glorious PB!!!

Knittering 03-07-2013 07:32 PM

It's a huge problem for me, so I don't touch it any more. :(

picklepete 03-07-2013 08:27 PM

I just had a convo with my brother about peanuts and he said along with corn it's probably the most important food to get either imported or organic--the fungus associated with the conventional US crop has been linked with autoimmunity, which sometimes go hand in hand with cravings. Maybe I'll hunt down a jar of the good stuff and see what happens?

rose1 03-07-2013 08:59 PM

I guess it's a good thing that I don't like peanut butter. I've had a jar sitting in the pantry for months.

kristina 03-07-2013 09:02 PM

this is probably the only food I don't have control issues over :laugh:

I do eat a bit every day...the crunchy kind. MMmmmmm! I eat some peanuts usually too.

Mimosa23 03-08-2013 02:46 AM

Yes, I have issues with peanut butter too. I don't buy it. Also, it definitely causes my cravings for other carby stuff to become urgent.

MargD 03-08-2013 04:59 AM

I make my own, using just peanuts.

For some reason, I feel compelled to taste it several times (licking my fingers and the spoon) as I'm coaxing it from the blender, but once I have it in the container in the fridge, I have no problem with it.

Biochic 03-08-2013 05:45 AM

I use sunbutter. Sunflower seed butter! Yummy!

Kateee 03-08-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starglazer (Post 16302449)
Does anyone have major problems handling peanut butter? I constantly crave the stuff and I have control issues with it. I can go thru an entire jar in not time. Does anyone else have this problem??

:o I never had a problem with it before until recently, when the dog needs to take his pill every morning, and I use peanut butter on it. Now I find myself dipping into it all day long, off plan from my eating menu :mad: No control here with PB :cry:

I decided yesterday, after realizing the jar is half full, and it was recently bought, this is the last jar I'll buy...

MattWCZY 03-08-2013 08:11 AM

Started only using it in recipes that call for it. You'd be surprised how a little can go a long way!

Kimberli33 03-08-2013 11:15 AM

I never let myself have it...I'm sure it could be an issue if I did.

Bethanyblondie 03-08-2013 11:30 AM

I seem to be able to limit myself to a serving at a time...but it's not easy at all!

Maryposa 03-08-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklepete (Post 16302854)
I just had a convo with my brother about peanuts and he said along with corn it's probably the most important food to get either imported or organic--the fungus associated with the conventional US crop has been linked with autoimmunity, which sometimes go hand in hand with cravings. Maybe I'll hunt down a jar of the good stuff and see what happens?

:confused: why would organic peanuts NOT have fungus on them? There is nothing on/in them to prevent the fungus from growing vs. non-organic, and pesticides on non-organic would neither prevent nor encourage fungus growth? In fact, non-organic peanuts may have fungicide on them, which I am not saying is good if you ingest THAT, but it would mean less of the fungus, not more than the fungus on organic peanuts.

I refrigerate my peanut better (I initially started doing it because I get the transfat free kind, which separates if not refridgerated... ingredients = peanuts and salt), and I read that is supposed to slow down fungus growth.

Also, I just found this....
"A recent study found the highest levels of aflatoxin in freshly ground peanut butter from health food stores, so buy jarred to be safe."

aflatoxin is the fungus peanuts are prone to.

Maryposa 03-08-2013 04:23 PM

The reason I buy the kind that separates and only has peanuts and salt (usually Laura Scudders or the Costco brand) is because I can have it on hand and forget it is there... but if I get Jif, or Peter Pan, or some other yummy transfat and sugar filled kind, I could eat the whole jar.

Mistizoom 03-08-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryposa (Post 16304611)
:confused: why would organic peanuts NOT have fungus on them? There is nothing on/in them to prevent the fungus from growing vs. non-organic, and pesticides on non-organic would neither prevent nor encourage fungus growth? In fact, non-organic peanuts may have fungicide on them, which I am not saying is good if you ingest THAT, but it would mean less of the fungus, not more than the fungus on organic peanuts.

I refrigerate my peanut better (I initially started doing it because I get the transfat free kind, which separates if not refridgerated... ingredients = peanuts and salt), and I read that is supposed to slow down fungus growth.

Also, I just found this....
"A recent study found the highest levels of aflatoxin in freshly ground peanut butter from health food stores, so buy jarred to be safe."

aflatoxin is the fungus peanuts are prone to.

Supposedly Valencia peanuts are restistant to aflatoxin, and many (but not all) organic peanut butters are make with Valencia peanuts. I think Trader Joe's and Arrowhead Mills are both made with Valencia peanuts.

KellyMarie38 03-08-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biochic (Post 16303197)
I use sunbutter. Sunflower seed butter! Yummy!

Same here, it is SO good. I'll mix it with some Polaner sugar free jelly and eat it off the spoon. Very filling.

avid 03-08-2013 05:36 PM

I too love peanut butter, but I'm not as addicted to it as you apparantly are.
I eat a teaspoon full once or maybe twice a day on a fairly regular basis.
I can tell you though that if I am having a peanut butter day, then I need to be especially vigilant about my carb/calorie intake the rest of the day. I can still lose if i have some peanut butter but it is tougher. Like you, giving it up just ain't on the table right now.

juliekaboolie 03-09-2013 06:57 PM

I LOVE peanut butter, but I eat way too much and find it gives me cravings. I stopped buying it.

avid 03-10-2013 05:27 AM

Beware the power of suggestion!!!!! LOL
Yesterday there was a garage sale in my community. My wife and I had alot of stuff to sell and there was a good deal of traffic stopping by. Needless to say, we were busy!
My wife, not being LC was able to eat the typical "meal on the run" that is, throw some meat or cheese between two slices of bread and Viola!! a meal.
I, on the other hand could only wolf down spooffuls of peanut butter. (I had cravings, no doubt due to this thread....LOL)
anyhooooo....even though I didn't eat alot yesterday, it was way out of balance with peanumt butter being the main player.
Alas this morning the scale told the tale. Up almost half a pound....and this following a day where I ate less than ususal.
Anyone who tells you that "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" is wrong.
Smuckers creamy.....peanuts, salt.......what's not to love?

jazills 03-10-2013 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryposa (Post 16304632)
The reason I buy the kind that separates and only has peanuts and salt (usually Laura Scudders or the Costco brand) is because I can have it on hand and forget it is there... but if I get Jif, or Peter Pan, or some other yummy transfat and sugar filled kind, I could eat the whole jar.

I am the SAME way. I don't have any peanut butter in the house as of last week but reading thread is making me want some. It's terrible. The kind that separates isn't as good as the sugar filled kind so its easier to tolerate as far as binging on peanut butter goes. When I was on deployment overseas I had a friend that used to have his family send him peanut butter every month because that's all he ate...EVER. He was skinny but I bet he was very unhealthy. For real though that's all I ever seen the guy eat and we were over in extreme conditions where you needed food to survive. I don't know how he did it.:dunno:

snowdancer79 03-10-2013 06:28 AM

One spoonful at a time is usually enough for me. I spread it on a slice of extra sharp cheddar cheese. Sounds gross, but I've been a peanut butter and cheese since I was a kid.