Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Powdered Eggs!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798943-powdered-eggs.html)

fiddlejen 03-07-2013 11:33 AM

Powdered Eggs!!

I just got some Powdered Whole eggs from Amazon. More expensive than regular eggs, but (1) they don't need refrigeration and (2) they are Pasteurized!
I think they're meant for hikers, or for emergency kits, to make scrambled eggs. :eggs:
But what I want them for, is Eggnog. Easy, un-cooked sf eggnog that tastes like eggnog!! Just egg, hwc, vanilla -- plus a little sweetener & spices.
And ...it works! Umm, yummy! Hmm I bet this would be a great ice cream too, when the weather warms up. Or.. ooohh.. next time I think I'll just add a little chocolate and call it a milkshake!

The label says, "Ingredients:
"Whole Eggs (Glucose removed for stability),
"Yolk (Glucose removed for stability),
"Egg Whites (Glucose removed for stability),
:hyst:----> "Contains Egg."

So these must be Better than regular eggs, right? I mean, if regular eggs have small amounts of glucose, and it's been removed from these, then these eggs must be at Absolute Zero for carbs. Right?

fiddlejen 03-07-2013 11:34 AM

Hey, I bet I can use these to safely make homemade mayo too!

:eggs:

Nelle Belle 03-07-2013 03:38 PM

Lol... Kevinpa wrote a 5 star review.

38 of 40 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great for baking October 10, 2006
By kevinpa
I develop sugarfree recipes and find these eggs invaluable when adding extra liquids to an existing recipe. To date I have not been disappointed in any of the baking results yet. I would and will purchase these again.

natural_born_texan 03-07-2013 03:48 PM

Powdered eggs; what will they think of powdering next? :)

Mistizoom 03-07-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlejen (Post 16301747)
So these must be Better than regular eggs, right? I mean, if regular eggs have small amounts of glucose, and it's been removed from these, then these eggs must be at Absolute Zero for carbs. Right?

They are probably fine for occasional use, but powdered whole eggs contain oxidized cholesterol which is not a good thing. Mark's Daily Apple has a blog post about it. I would say for the vast majority of applications fresh eggs are better and healthier for you.

fiddlejen 03-08-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16302760)
They are probably fine for occasional use, but powdered whole eggs contain oxidized cholesterol which is not a good thing. Mark's Daily Apple has a blog post about it. I would say for the vast majority of applications fresh eggs are better and healthier for you.

Oxidized cholesterol... :shock: ...errgh, okay, so they're definitely not better than standard eggs. Thanks for the warning!

I will still keep these on hand, but, only to use for special treats (like nog, or desert-milkshakes)!

rubidoux 03-08-2013 10:47 AM

I'm wondering if they'd be good for shakes that you make in the morning and bring with you for later. I love egg creams, but feel a little weird about carrying raw eggs around for half the day before consuming them.

clackley 03-08-2013 02:22 PM

My d.d. bought some of those but she was heading off to live in the jungle - kinda like going into space with pretty terrible food options....

Food is almost always better in it's most 'unadulterated' state.

Charski 03-08-2013 04:10 PM

I bought some to put in our emergency kit (we live in Earthquake Country here!) and we decided to try them. Made cheesy scrambled eggs and couldn't tell the difference between those and fresh. The brand is Ova Easy! :) I'm glad to have them on hand "just in case" or if for some reason I run out of fresh eggs and can't get to the store.

fiddlejen 03-13-2013 08:50 PM

Planning to try making fingerless tiramisu with them soon. I love tiramisu! :yummy:

Snickygirl 03-14-2013 05:53 AM

fiddlejen - Can you tell me do these have any kind of "expiration" or "best by" dating on them? If so, is it months, or years, from now, etc.?

I'd like to try order them but often things expire before I use them all up!

Thanks.

NH_Free 03-14-2013 07:12 AM

The #10 cans usually have a 10-15 year shelf life, until you open them - then it's more like months. You have to keep them in an airtight container so no moisture gets in. Or you can re-package them in mason jars or mylar bags with oxygen absorbers.

I got mine from Honeyville Grains and they didn't really taste the same as fresh eggs (scrambled plain), but they weren't bad at all. Add a little cheese and you can't tell the difference. Very handy for weekend camping trips. :) I never thought to try them in eggnog, but I don't really need the extra calories anyway.

fiddlejen 03-14-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snickygirl (Post 16315251)
fiddlejen - Can you tell me do these have any kind of "expiration" or "best by" dating on them? If so, is it months, or years, from now, etc.?

I'd like to try order them but often things expire before I use them all up!

Thanks.

Ova Easy Egg Crystals Pasteurized 4.5 oz (equals 1 dozen eggs).
They are in a Yellow bag (packet) that says Best by: July 17, 2015. Instructions 1-3 (how to prepare) 4. Refrigerate any remaining liquid egg. 5. Close bag of unused OvaEasy. Store in a cool and dry place. No refrigeration needed.

(By the way, it's not any sort of zipper- or reclosable-bag; I just fold it over and use a clippie to keep it closed up good.)