Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   ... But it's WHOLE wheat!!!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798929-but-its-whole-wheat.html)

Mimosa23 03-07-2013 08:03 AM

... But it's WHOLE wheat!!!!
 
:mad::mad:
Really, I do not understand the stupidity or drive of some people forcing food on me. I am a terrible recipient of food, especially in our office. I only eat what I bring or buy myself. I don't partake in birthday cakes unless I made the cake. I don't eat chocolates that were brought into the office, etc etc. They still don't get it. I can explain every day. They STILL don't get it. I am seriously considering making a sign that says: NO CARBS, NO STARCH, NO SUGAR, NO GRAINS, DO NOT FEED THE CRAZY DUTCH HUMAN!!!

Especially something I cannot eat anyway! I was offered a cookie this afternoon, and said that I cannot eat it, as it contains wheat and sugar. The answer was actually: But it's WHOLE wheat!

Goes to show how indoctrinated people are into thinking if there are words like: whole, raw, organic, natural in front or behind it, it is absolutely perfectly normal to consider it a health food and thus it shoud be good for EVERYONE! (I so wish there was a smiley of doom right now) And of course it should then be eaten in LARGE quantities, because of the health, you know? :laugh:

Sorry, another rant from me!

theredhead 03-07-2013 08:14 AM

I know what you mean. It makes me nuts, too!

Perhaps you could respond with, "yes, and whole wheat makes my blood sugar go crazy!" Of course, you don't really need to respond at all. People mean well, but they're really ignorant.

Low Carb Librarian 03-07-2013 09:34 AM

I am not doing LC any more, but when I was I had the same problem.
It was like their memory was reset every day... One day they said they would slap my hand if they saw me pick up a cookie... The next day they offered me a cookie!

ravenrose 03-07-2013 10:01 AM

I'm one of those "can't keep her big mouth shut" types, so I acutally tell them that whole wheat is to refined wheat as light cigarettes are to regular cigarettes. They are BETTER, sure, but it's not like you would actually encourage someone not already set on using them to do it, you know?

biancasteeplechase 03-07-2013 10:40 AM

I usually say "No thanks" in a friendly way. Too often, if you give a reason, people will start arguing with it. No reason = nothing to argue about.

(If they keep pushing it, I'll smile and say "It looks great.")

fiddlejen 03-07-2013 10:53 AM

"Awww, thank you so much, that's so kind of you!"
Take it on napkin, put it on desk where it's clearly visible.
Don't worry about temptation ... it's whole wheat? Yuck! Yucky Cookie.
Wait 5 or half-hour or however long, until they're not looking.
Break off half of cookie (or cake, or whatever it was) & throw it away. (Conceal it under a crumpled paper.)
Leave the other half visible on your desk for at least another hour before discarding it too.
When they ask if you liked it: "What a delicious cookie!"
Here, have another: "Oh, I'm not hungry / don't want to ruin my (lunch/dinner/etc)."
(This works for cakes too, and every other kind of office treats.)

The second time in a day that anyone offers you sweets, "Oh doesn't that look delicious... I don't really want any more treats today, but, thanks so much for offering."

marieze 03-07-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase (Post 16301772)
I usually say "No thanks" in a friendly way. Too often, if you give a reason, people will start arguing with it. No reason = nothing to argue about.

(If they keep pushing it, I'll smile and say "It looks great.")

This.....And I just say I'm not hungry....worst case scenario if they keep pushing....I'd take it and throw it in the trash.

Explaining your eating to them just encourages them further, I believe. Or just say, I'm diabetic!

fiddlejen 03-07-2013 11:01 AM

It helps to realize, the reason people push sweets & treats, is because it gives them permission to have some too. Even people at their own desks. We've all been taught as children that we can't eat special treats (except at lunchtime) unless we share it. That's why people keep trying to push their treats on other people.

You can actually have more of a positive influence on other people by leaving your cookie or cake--uneaten, or with a bit broken off (faux-bite)--on your desk for a while. Then they will not be upset at you for not participating. Instead our human psychology will see that as friendly and participatory, while the natural copycat-mechanism of our psychology will encourage others to copy You in indulging Less. You won't see this effect right away, but over time if you consistently accept but don't indulge, or else refuse with compliments, other people will start doing the same. And/or, they will stop offering, which is just as good!

Just Beachy 03-07-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase (Post 16301772)
I usually say "No thanks" in a friendly way. Too often, if you give a reason, people will start arguing with it. No reason = nothing to argue about.

(If they keep pushing it, I'll smile and say "It looks great.")

This. They may have even gone to extra trouble to use the whole grain specifically for you. If they pursue it, just repeat, in a friendly way, that you do not eat any kind of wheat -- even whole wheat, but thank you for thinking of me.

Eventually, people will learn. I also don't use the word "can't." I say I don't eat any grains or sugars. I feel "can't" implies that you would like to, but well...., can't for some reason beyond your control. Therefore perhaps if it was whole wheat (or gluten free or whatever) you could eat it and would want to.

It took awhile, but people no longer offer me things they know I don't want. Usually, they will bring things out and say something along the lines of, "I'd offer you some, but I know you don't eat this."

:) Beachy

synger 03-07-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlejen (Post 16301829)
It helps to realize, the reason people push sweets & treats, is because it gives them permission to have some too. Even people at their own desks. We've all been taught as children that we can't eat special treats (except at lunchtime) unless we share it. That's why people keep trying to push their treats on other people.

You can actually have more of a positive influence on other people by leaving your cookie or cake--uneaten, or with a bit broken off (faux-bite)--on your desk for a while. Then they will not be upset at you for not participating. Instead our human psychology will see that as friendly and participatory, while the natural copycat-mechanism of our psychology will encourage others to copy You in indulging Less. You won't see this effect right away, but over time if you consistently accept but don't indulge, or else refuse with compliments, other people will start doing the same. And/or, they will stop offering, which is just as good!

Very good points. And easy to forget. Thank you!

Mimosa23 03-08-2013 01:20 AM

I have been saying no thanks for ages. They usually ask why not. So I patiently explain. I think people withouth allergies and intolerances to food items forget that even just this once, or even just a little bit will do a lot of harm. They don't know, and I know I should be patient, but it's getting a little old. I mean, it's not as if this has been an issue since last week.

And I will not be taking food and not eating it to either set an example by not eating it, or to be polite. We are in a very small office (8 people) and I am the only real fattie here, so it's not as if they are doing it to make themselves feel better for indulging. They are doing it out of ignorance and disinterest.

I think this is a common problem in our society. I would really like to make a mark and help people be healthier, etc. But apart from being annoyingly meddlesome, I see no way. I am trying to lead by example and hopefully the interest in my WOE will grow, and people may be willing to try it out. I am not one of those people who talk about their WOE unasked. I would find that annoying when other people do that to me.

I just wanted to rant a little as it gets so tiring and old to have the same conversation again and again and again. Anyway, I guess I am going to have to show them by getting healthy and lose this weight, maybe then they will understand better, LOL!

clackley 03-08-2013 07:16 AM

As long as the 'conventional wisdom' keeps pushing 'whole grain, healthy grains' as a healthful foods, the belief will be that it is healthy (despite the fact that it also has SUGAR).

It feels like finger nails on a chalkboard everytime I hear it in the media (which is daily in one form or another). Just keep your answer simple and direct.

fiddlejen 03-08-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16302993)
And I will not be taking food and not eating it to either set an example by not eating it, or to be polite. We are in a very small office (8 people) and I am the only real fattie here, so it's not as if they are doing it to make themselves feel better for indulging. They are doing it out of ignorance and disinterest.
...
Anyway, I guess I am going to have to show them by getting healthy and lose this weight, maybe then they will understand better, LOL!

Thirteen years ago when I did Atkins the first time (the strict way) and lost a lot of weight, I worked in a small office (about 5 people). My "take & don't eat" procedure is what I did then. It worked there, and more recently when I was getting back to low-carb in an office with 50+ folks, it worked there too.

I did it for politeness, and on the principle that I would only explain myself if someone asked who was genuinely interested in learning what I was doing. My goal was not to have an influence on anyone, but, I did.

Of course, there's no reason for you to do that if you don't want to. It's absolutely true that when people see you lose weight they will want to understand better!*

But, anyone in an office will find any diet is much less stressful for themself and for others by getting in the habit of at least saying, "Oh yes that looks wonderful, thank you, however I don't really want any right now."

*(Of course, even after you've become a skinny-minny, some people will still not be genuinely interested. That's also human nature, because you will have lost weight by giving up something that they don't want to give up. And you'll be the example right in front of them, so they will still tell you why you were wrong.)

kristina 03-08-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16301298)
:mad::mad:
Really, I do not understand the stupidity or drive of some people forcing food on me. I am a terrible recipient of food, especially in our office. I only eat what I bring or buy myself. I don't partake in birthday cakes unless I made the cake. I don't eat chocolates that were brought into the office, etc etc. They still don't get it. I can explain every day. They STILL don't get it. I am seriously considering making a sign that says: NO CARBS, NO STARCH, NO SUGAR, NO GRAINS, DO NOT FEED THE CRAZY DUTCH HUMAN!!!

Especially something I cannot eat anyway! I was offered a cookie this afternoon, and said that I cannot eat it, as it contains wheat and sugar. The answer was actually: But it's WHOLE wheat!

Goes to show how indoctrinated people are into thinking if there are words like: whole, raw, organic, natural in front or behind it, it is absolutely perfectly normal to consider it a health food and thus it shoud be good for EVERYONE! (I so wish there was a smiley of doom right now) And of course it should then be eaten in LARGE quantities, because of the health, you know? :laugh:

Sorry, another rant from me!

I hear ya!! I was at a picnic once. A lady made a dish that I couldn't eat. "But, it has TOMATOES!! Tomatoes are GOOD for you!!!" and then, proceeded to tell me how I should lose weight. people :doh: :mad: :hyst: :stars:

Just Russ 03-08-2013 12:15 PM

I'm retired so I don't encounter this as much... but even my much beloved ATKINS bars... are modified carbs... but they are STILL carbs! Atkins bars will trigger cravings for me. That's why "NO, I can't eat just one!" is in my signature.

For years my doctor has encouraged me to lose weight... he was very pleased back in 2000. I'd already been on Atkins & lost substantial weight when I was him. He kind of rolled his eyes when I told him I was on Atkins... but in the end, he said ok if that works for you.
This time he is much more supportive. I think he's probably seen other success's in the interviening years.

I would not encourage others to offer you treats. I don't know what you say? I might just say I'm following doctor's instructions.

Jakelilydad 03-08-2013 01:13 PM

Wow, I like the "I'm following Doctor's instructions" line. But I, too, am tired of people offering me food that they know I don't eat. I think that most people know that "treats" are bad for you (especially if loaded with flour and sugar), and, as said above, if you eat it it gives them permission to eat it too. If you say you can't eat it, that either means something like an allergy or because it is not on your diet, although the not on the diet can't is usually interpreted as you can cheat "just this once". So the Dr.'s Orders line may make people think twice (assuming they think at all), and has the added benefit of passing the buck of responsibility. Frustrating? Yes!

DiamondDeb 03-08-2013 02:22 PM

No reason should be necessary but if "no thanks" doesn't work "I'm not hungry" usually does.

Lies tend to come back & hit one in the face so that is not a good idea.

If they don't know my reasons already they don't know me well enough to be told.

Charski 03-08-2013 03:04 PM

Accepting it and pretending you ate part of it is just further invitation for that person, and any others who witnessed it, to push further carbage on you.

I've always found that "No, thanks!" with a smile generally does the trick. Further push gets from me, "NO. Thanks." No smile this time. One MORE push gets the icy stare and NO comment. Usually gets the point across.

I also use "don't" instead of "can't" if someone I really care about wants to know why. "I don't eat any form of wheat or sugar" usually is all they care to know. Saying "I CAN'T eat any form or wheat or sugar" gets the same result as above - "Oh, just try ONE. It won't hurt you!" Or "I made this special - just have a bite!"

It IS annoying but you can't expect other people to "get it" and yes, they DO forget - I can't count the times I've told my Dad what we don't eat but every time he asks us over for dinner, I hear, "Can YOU PEOPLE eat potatoes?" or whatever. Cracks me up. Who the heck are "YOU PEOPLE" anyway?! :laugh:

Ntombi 03-08-2013 03:52 PM

I'm constantly amazed at the stories of food pushing I hear on this board. I don't know why it's so different for me, but I get offered food, I say no thanks, and that's the end of it. :dunno: I would not take kindly to someone trying to insist that I eat something, anything. :annoyed:

I have several potentially deadly food allergies, and sometimes even my close family members forget what I can't eat. If they offer something that's on my CAN'T, not don't, list, I remind them why I'm turning it down, but that's the only time I offer any explanation at all.

clackley 03-08-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16304580)
I'm constantly amazed at the stories of food pushing I hear on this board. I don't know why it's so different for me, but I get offered food, I say no thanks, and that's the end of it. :dunno: I would not take kindly to someone trying to insist that I eat something, anything. :annoyed:

I have several potentially deadly food allergies, and sometimes even my close family members forget what I can't eat. If they offer something that's on my CAN'T, not don't, list, I remind them why I'm turning it down, but that's the only time I offer any explanation at all.

I have a branch of my family that it seems that food = love. It is hard for those to understand. It is also useful to remember that a lot of people from the older generation don't understand that 'health foods' like whole grains are actually unhealthy or a problem of any type.

Ntombi 03-08-2013 03:58 PM

I definitely get the food=love thing, but not going beyond offering it.

For instance, I've been going through some health stuff, and got some bad news this week. I updated my stepmom via e-mail as I was leaving the doctor, and her response was "Oh my god. Do you want ice cream?"

:doh:

I just sent a reply saying nope, but thanks, and that was it. Her go-to response to big news, good or bad, is food. I try to take her support it in the spirit in which its offered, but still turn down the food.

clackley 03-08-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16304597)
I definitely get the food=love thing, but not going beyond offering it.

For instance, I've been going through some health stuff, and got some bad news this week. I updated my stepmom via e-mail as I was leaving the doctor, and her response was "Oh my god. Do you want ice cream?"

:doh:

I just sent a reply saying nope, but thanks, and that was it. Her go-to response to big news, good or bad, is food. I try to take her support it in the spirit in which its offered, but still turn down the food.

Sorry you got bad news.:console: You are on a path that can help a lot of health issues and hopefully that is the case for you now.

Just Russ 03-09-2013 05:56 AM

My last Dr's appointment, we talked about my weight & need to lose it. And several failed diets most recent over the last 2 years. The Dr put it in my chart & I got a print out. "Low Carb diet which he has success with in the past". So if it's not in my LC plan, it is against my Dr's instructions.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 PM.