Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Having a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY tough time with... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798885-having-really-really-really-tough-time.html)

marieze 03-06-2013 05:11 PM

Having a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY tough time with...

My TEENAGE son!!!!! This is pretty pathetic, but I'm writing this through tears and patting myself on the back at the same time :stars:

My son and I have hit a HUGE bump in our road and I have not once turned to my old friend....food. I'm a single mom and I now have two jobs. They both have flexibility in that I work from home and can still pick my son up after school and maintain all my mom stuff.

We had a full on blow out today when I picked him up for early release from school on the way to our favorite place for lunch. I hadn't eaten all day and was starving and he ordered a big batch of hot onion rings to start with covered in parmesan cheese....then he had chicken fried steak with french fries in gravy. No, we don't live in the south:hyst:

I ordered the cobb salad with ranch dressing, hold the diced tomatoes please. I took half home for dinner.

It made me realize how committed I have been and despite all the stress I have been under the last 6 to 8 months, I haven't eaten off plan once.

For me, that is absolutely incredible as "stress or anxiety" has always been my reason/excuse for over eating, as if I had earned the food.

This really is a milestone for me and shows me that I, for once, am really taking care of myself. And it feels really, really good!

Ntombi 03-06-2013 05:22 PM

Congratulations, on both the perseverance and the revelation! :clap:

And I hope things get much better for you soon!

Julie1972 03-06-2013 05:27 PM

Way to stay strong!! KUTGW!!

sillykimmie 03-06-2013 05:50 PM

First :hugs: I'm sorry you're having a rough time with your son.
Second, and very important, Way to go on making a responsible food choice!!:kicking: You are so worth it!

shelby'snana 03-06-2013 05:53 PM

You should be so proud of yourself !! And as the mother of 2 boys , grown now, I hope things get easier soon ...... I have lots of gray hair (haha). Kuddos on being a single parent with 2 jobs too...... that's amazing.

Chocolate Rose 03-06-2013 06:52 PM

Kudos to you!!!:clap: I know how hard it is to deal with a teen daughter and I've heard that sons can be more difficult. Congratulations on making it through a tough afternoon.

Kimberli33 03-06-2013 07:11 PM

It will get better:console:Survivor of 3 Beautiful,Stubborn,Fearless teen Dds:hiya: They had me looking like this more times than not:p:stars::sick::mad:Now they are married and I get to hug and kiss the grandbabies while they tell me how WONDERFUL I am:D so alls well.

marieze 03-06-2013 08:13 PM

Oh Kimberli.....it seems like a lifetime until I get there:stars:

svenskamae 03-06-2013 08:32 PM

Marieze, I'm sorry that you are going through a tough time, :console: but you should be so proud of yourself for staying on plan and eating healthy lowcarb food even during the most difficult days. :notwrthy: If you can do it now, you can do it anytime--and you can do it for the rest of a long, healthy, slim life, too. Congratulations on doing so well, and keep up the great work. :up:

marieze 03-06-2013 08:58 PM

I really appreciate everyone's feedback....

I'm not one to typically feel sorry for myself or see myself as a victim, but lately I want to stand on a mountaintop and scream, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY":stars:

Strawberry 03-06-2013 09:41 PM

CONGRATS on sticking with your diet!!!

I just want to add... I butted heads with my mother NONSTOP around the ages of 16-18.... until I moved out. Just stand firm with your son and do what you know is right as a mother. I now appreciate my mom. Once your son matures a little more and gains a few more years, he will look back and appreciate all the love and discipline and rules and morals you gave him.

itzme91 03-06-2013 09:46 PM

Congrats on staying strong! Prayers for you and your Son,as others have already saidit will get better! I raised 2 dd's:) and survived!

Mimosa23 03-07-2013 12:08 AM

Sending :hugs: and :jumpjoy: at the same time! Congratulations on staying strong in difficult times! That is a great achievement! :console:

Stardust 03-07-2013 01:40 AM

Oh well done you, that is fabulous! So sorry you are having trouble with your son though, we have a 15yr old lad too (my step son), can be challenging!

CarefreeGal 03-07-2013 05:27 AM

Congratulations for being strong and sticking to your plan! Teenage boys have a lot of hormones racing through their bodies (and they're hungry ALL the time) so sometimes they're incredibly hard to deal with. But, you're doing what he needs the most and that is being a mom and being there for him :).

You'll get through this and your efforts will be rewarded as you come out the other end having raised a fine young man!

Sending you good thoughts..:heart:

clackley 03-07-2013 05:58 AM

Good for you!! Teenagers are basically insane - literally. Their brains are still growing. Handle with care!!!;)

CBC -The Nature of Things with David Suzuki - - Surviving :) The Teenage Brain

JMacB 03-07-2013 06:33 AM

...and this is why I plan to send my son to boarding school.

cathlaur 03-07-2013 12:14 PM

Oh man I feel your pain though mine is a 17 year old daughter. I sometimes want to scream and pull my hair out. BUT things are slowly starting to change and I hope once she moves out to College in the fall she will grow up a bit.
Though I am married with a great husband so hats off to you for doing it alone you rock!

We will one day look back at these years and laugh RIGHT LOL LOL LOL

natural_born_texan 03-07-2013 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=No, we don't live in the south[/QUOTE] <<<hey, hey now....living in the South is actually a very good thing! :)

I commend you on sticking with the salad at lunch, that is a big deal, particularly under stressful situations.

My heart goes out to you regarding the difficulties you're having with your teenager. Hang in there because it will surely pass.

(I have a 9 and 11 yr. old, and I'm already bracing myself for those rough times--I see them coming.)

babycakez 03-07-2013 07:43 PM

:jumpjoy: It takes a lot of courage to sit through that. You've done so well. Congrats.

kristina 03-07-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marieze (Post 16300570)
I'm not one to typically feel sorry for myself or see myself as a victim, but lately I want to stand on a mountaintop and scream, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY":stars:

it's been a few years since I've dealt with my own teenage son (and daughter too) but I wasn't single.That has to be so difficult :(

way to stay strong though with your food!!

baileygirl3 03-08-2013 03:59 AM

Congrats on hanging in there! My son is 13. I feel your pain

marieze 03-08-2013 09:23 AM

You guys really are the BEST! I know we all have our challenges, but dang, kids can be a tough one!

Don't get me wrong; I couldn't ask for a better son....compassionate, loving, ethical, bright etc.....but then there is that other, hormonal, mouthy side to the guy that sends me into a tailspin :stars:

All your responses have warmed my heart....thanks again, friends!

Charski 03-08-2013 03:15 PM

Marieze, you did GREAT, woman! :up: Be proud, be very very proud of yourself for not caving and turning to food. Things like this always remind me of a quote my old WW leader liked - if hunger is not the problem, then food is not the answer. How right she was!

As for teenage sons - I got my stepson at age 12. DH had full custody of him. He was like yours - very bright, generally a good guy, great student, never a problem with drugs or anything - but the eyeroll, the sarcastic comments - oh man!! I thought I'd NEVER get through it.

Now here I am, he'll be 31 in a couple weeks, and I'm wondering where the HECK did all THAT time go?! :laugh: You'll make it - hang in there and keep up the fantastic work! :hugs:

Maryposa 03-08-2013 03:29 PM

Now that is what I call a Non-Scale VICTORY! That is awesome. I am sorry to hear about the rough time you're having with your son, but I am glad you see the silver lining

DiamondDeb 03-08-2013 03:35 PM

WTG taking care of yourself! :up:

No advice on your son; I don't have kids but I was a teen once and know it is tough for parents. You'll both get through this.

Janknitz 03-08-2013 10:27 PM

Congratulations on not eating your troubles.

I just survived one teenager (she's 20) and have a new one just starting (she's 12). What was I thinking???

Actually I have great kids, but that doesn't mean they are not obnoxious, jekyll and hyde style. I had to keep reminding myself that it's the teens job to pull away from the parents to be able to grow into an independent human being. It's a painful process for all involved, but if you stay connected (as your post clearly shows) they eventually become human again.

Deep breaths, and be good to yourself. You will survive, and so will he.

Just Russ 03-09-2013 05:48 AM

I survived 2 step children... both of which make us proud today. It was not always this way.
:high5:

debstin 03-09-2013 09:47 AM

I remember those teen age years,was on my knees alot. It sounds like you are making a lot of good decisions. And unfortunately, you can't always be your teenagers friend as you have to be their parent. Tough job some days. When how hard it is begins to fade in memory, you will actually long for those days back at times. I have a friend who says,"And this too shall pass..........and something worse will happen." Lol I imagine someday, your son will thank you for his raising and you will see him become an awesome young man. Sounds like you are making a lot of good decisions and doing okay!!! Hang in there,rewards will follow.

enna1477 03-09-2013 04:12 PM

Having gone through those teenage years myself and (as my own mother decreed) suffered through two teens that were easily twice as cheeky and disrespectful as I was, I have a theory. Many kids pick fights with their parents because it makes saying goodbye when it's time to go out and start their own less painful for them.

Hang tight. Kids give you a wild ride and then one day they end up being perfectly nice people that you want to be around. I always loved my kids but there were plenty of times I didn't like them very much!