Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Ketosis: It's All the Rage. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798880-ketosis-its-all-rage.html)

Taxbane 03-06-2013 03:57 PM

Ketosis: It's All the Rage.

Arghh. :mad: Going into keto always makes me super-irritable (especially sound sensitive).

I know it is caused by the temporary shortage of serotonin due to tryptophan depletion (being used to make fat/ketone burning enzymes).

Besides the rage, I'm also a little depressed b/c some people had mentioned that there was a product called 5-HTP that (a) boosts the tryptophan available in your brain to make serotonin, and (b) also helps reduce cravings for carbs. Unfortunately, after bying a bottle I decided to research 5-HTP, before actually taking it and it turns out there are a bunch of warnings about it to the effect:

"Donít use 5-HTP until more is known. 5-HTP might be UNSAFE. Some people who have taken it have come down with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness (myalgia) and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some people think the EMS might be caused by an accidental ingredient (contaminant) in some 5-HTP products. But there is not enough scientific evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or some other factor. Until more is known, avoid taking 5-HTP." - WebMD.

Sooo..... best to be on the safe side I guess, and just deal with the temporary rage/irritability. Hopefully the wife and kiddies don't mind my mood too much.

Thanks for reading. Anyone else know how to boost seritonin levels... legally?

Dottie 03-06-2013 04:00 PM

"Some people who have taken it" .. "Some people think "... that's pretty vague for a webmd article, really.

Taxbane 03-06-2013 05:18 PM

True. Although it was not the only site that mentioned the EMS thing.... :( oh well. Hopefully they figure it out soon enough. :)

jeaniem 03-06-2013 05:21 PM

The only thing that works for me is exercise, preferably outdoors.

creseis 03-06-2013 05:37 PM

i've been feeling some rage lately. ugh.

svenskamae 03-06-2013 08:36 PM

Exercise is a good way to improve mood and work off negative feelings, so I second that recommendation. Try to get extra sleep, if you can, and do non-food-related things that are distractions, like reading a good book, watching a film, playing a video game, etc.

Mimosa23 03-07-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 16300214)

This.

For me, when I feel lethargic, moody or hormonally emotional (or I feel like I'm turning into a raving psysho) I go out for a brisk walk with the dog. It gets the blood flowing, oxygen to the brain and if it happens to be sunny, it also boosts Vit D3!

wastednuffime 03-07-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 16300214)

THIS X 100...

Heheher 03-07-2013 06:51 AM

Sleep and exercise.

juliekaboolie 03-07-2013 07:30 AM

Exercise and sleep!!!

Malcah1 03-07-2013 07:51 AM

Try St. Johns Wort... it helps with balancing serotonin and mood.

piratejenny 03-07-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Anyone else know how to boost seritonin levels... legally?
SAM-e

fiddlejen 03-07-2013 09:01 AM

Vitamin D helps with mood too. Especially on a yucky-weather day.

Also if the problem is caused by lack of tryptophan, what about adding in some turkey-meat?

fiddlejen 03-07-2013 09:06 AM

Ya know, ketosis actually tends to stabilizes my mood. More energy, more focus, more happy (in a settled & less-excitable way).
Are you sure it's ketosis-rage? (Rather than, say, grouchy-hunger-rage or maybe carb-addiction withdrawal irritability?)

Taxbane 03-07-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlejen (Post 16301486)
Ya know, ketosis actually tends to stabilizes my mood. More energy, more focus, more happy (in a settled & less-excitable way).
Are you sure it's ketosis-rage? (Rather than, say, grouchy-hunger-rage or maybe carb-addiction withdrawal irritability?)

Yes, once I am in Ketosis I feel great, like you mentione. It is the gearing up process leading into Keto that usually takes 3-4 days for me when grumpy. I think it is mostly the enzyme thing, but I suppose some of it could be due to "withdrawal" symptoms from sugar.... Thanks!

Taxbane 03-07-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcah1 (Post 16301259)
Try St. Johns Wort... it helps with balancing serotonin and mood.

Thanks, will check into this.

Taxbane 03-07-2013 10:04 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone. When I think about it, my irritability/rage feeling is always noticeable when indoors and not excercising (I do exercise 3 times weekly btw). I will try to exercise the next time I feel the rage/irritation symptom to see if that helps.

btw, feeling better today, usually takes 3-4 days for the rage thing to pass.

synger 03-07-2013 11:22 AM

Hmm... reading this thread makes me wonder if that's what happened to me last month. I'd been eating around 30 carbs or fewer daily for about a week, then had two days much higher (100 and 80), then popped back down to 35-40. Two days after the two high days, I had a day where I was SO irritable and grumpy. Even after eating I had absolutely NO patience.

By the next day I was fine, and haven't been like that again.

Maybe it was me getting back into ketosis again or something.

Stackdiesel 03-07-2013 04:10 PM

Tax,

Make good use of the rage and direct it toward opposing counsel.

-Stack

creseis 03-07-2013 05:04 PM

I have also found that riding a really nice pony helped :)

muncheechee 03-07-2013 07:17 PM

I may have been the one that suggested 5-htp because it works so well for me to kill the carb cravings. I first read about it in Julia Ross' book The Diet Cure and she did mention that l-tryptophan got a bad wrap because years ago there was a contaminated batch from a company outside the US... I don't remember the details at the moment but from her comments about it being extremely unlikely that it's a risk these days I felt comfortable trying it and contribute my success in staying on plan to taking that supplement. But it doesn't work for everyone, particularly if serotonin isn't your problem. My friend ended up giving me her pills because they gave her headaches... probably because she didn't have a serotonin deficit.

As they say, your mileage may vary.

Punkin 03-08-2013 09:32 AM

I sometimes have difficulty with irritability when I am experiencing hypoglycemia. Apparently you don't need carbs to induce an insulin response. It can also be triggered by thinking or smelling carbs. In my case it results in hypoglycemia. The other thing I notice is on rest days (days with no exercise) I used to have more of a problem with hypoglycemia than other days. This is because my insulin levels are elevated. I found eating more fat and reducing carbs help me with this problem on days like this.

fiddlejen 03-08-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creseis (Post 16302559)
I have also found that riding a really nice pony helped :)

:goodpost:

Rosie Posie 03-09-2013 12:25 PM

My 2 cents:

I've been taking 5-HTP for the last 3 years without problems. I was actually prescribed it by my pharmacist. He's not your regular pharmacist, he has over 25 years of experience in delivering patient centered complementary health care based on an Orthomolecular approach to health and wellness. He has researched, formulated and tested a broad range of nutritional formulas and supplements. At his pharmacy they compound a lot of the supplements themselves so I'd be very surprised to learn that there were problems with the supplements he prescribed me. Also, I'm in Canada, and a lot of supplements are not allowed here, that are allowed in the US, due to safety concerns, so that is another reason why I am personally not concerned with taking it.

Rosie Posie 03-09-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie Posie (Post 16305966)

Orthomolecular approach to health and wellness.

Orthomolecular treatment is a scientifically-based approach to healing and caring for the body. It employs the use of vitamins and nutrients in the form of diet and supplements to create a biochemical balance in the body.