Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Tightening skin with massage? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798847-tightening-skin-massage.html)

coffeelover 03-06-2013 10:29 AM

Tightening skin with massage?

Until recently my fat has always puffed out my skin, except for a small apron where the skin and fat drooped. Now I've only lost 26 pounds but I have two areas where I suddenly have hanging skin/fat - on my back and inner thighs. I've read lots of threads on here about loose skin and I agree with what seems to be consensus that slim and saggy is far preferable to fat and poofy. That said, is there anything that will minimize this on the way down? I still have a long way to go! I was wondering about massage and skin brushing, both claim to 'tighten and tone' skin. Is this true? Massage can be expensive but there is a massage school near by with cheaper rates. SHould I be doing this?

rose1 03-06-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeelover (Post 16299215)
Until recently my fat has always puffed out my skin, except for a small apron where the skin and fat drooped. Now I've only lost 26 pounds but I have two areas where I suddenly have hanging skin/fat - on my back and inner thighs. I've read lots of threads on here about loose skin and I agree with what seems to be consensus that slim and saggy is far preferable to fat and poofy. That said, is there anything that will minimize this on the way down? I still have a long way to go! I was wondering about massage and skin brushing, both claim to 'tighten and tone' skin. Is this true? Massage can be expensive but there is a massage school near by with cheaper rates. SHould I be doing this?

Dry brushing definitely helps. Works wonders, IMO. Do it consistently and use a good body lotion after your bath.

andipand 03-06-2013 04:13 PM

I would suggest a body wrap if they have it in your town. We have one in my local town. Even as an overweight person I did it and everything tightened up for months. I did it before my wedding a few years ago. They wrap you like a mummy in ace bandages soaked in minerals. You have to jump on a trampoline for a while then voila. Everything got tight, didn't jiggle, and stayed that way for several months. I should have gone back but never did. I'm going to treat myself to it again when I reach goal.

coffeelover 03-06-2013 08:09 PM

Thank you both for the input. I'm definately going to try dry brushing and look into body wraps. I bought a dry brush a while back but never got into it. I'm going to have to google for instructions.

sweet irony 03-06-2013 08:20 PM

I've been a bodyworker for 20 years. Whatever skin tightening could possibly happen wouldn't be enough to counteract great fat loss and the loose skin that can come from it.

I've heard good stories on this site about making sure you're wearing compression garments if you're losing weight quickly. I think a combination of compression garments and mineral wraps is the best bet.

Also stay hydrated.

MSN08 03-06-2013 08:50 PM

Subscribing because my hanging tummy skin and deflating chest is becoming a downer. and I would like to hear replies as well. I would get surgery but I developed large keloid scarring from my gallbladder removal and I am afraid my tummy tuck scar would develop a huge painful one also.

Mimosa23 03-07-2013 01:16 AM

I second the dry body brushing! Try doing it every morning upon waking and in the evening before bed.
Also, taking salt/mineral baths a couple of times a week may help. Supplementing with silica should also help, but in large quantities. I use Diatomaceous Earth and a Silica gel, which is a colloidal silica gel for better absorption. Also helps hair and nails!
I use coconut oil for a moisturiser.

Doing bodyweight or regular weight training will also help the appearance of your body and skin.