Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Withdrawls from eliminating wheat? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798834-withdrawls-eliminating-wheat.html)

natural_born_texan 03-06-2013 07:03 AM

Withdrawls from eliminating wheat?

I am in the process of reading Wheatbelly. Did you experience withdrawls from eliminating wheat? If so, what were the symptoms you experienced?

Mimosa23 03-06-2013 07:11 AM

I am allergic to wheat and wheat derived foodstuffs. I had terrible hayfever like issues and skin problems. I also had candida and once I eliminated wheat I got some bad die-off symptoms from the candida elimination. It translated to eczema on my face and itchyness on my upper arms mainly. I also felt awful, headaches and general ickyness. It did pas pretty quickly, and the eczema eventually cleared up too.

Some people may not have any withdrawals at all, especially if they are already low carb. You may just experience a feeling of wellness instead!

Just Beachy 03-06-2013 04:27 PM

Well, I dropped wheat and sugars at the same time, so I can't really say if my withdrawal symptoms were from one or the other or both. However, I had a massive, killer headache for a couple of days. I was also nauseous. Of course, there were also very intense cravings. I'll be honest. It was really tough for about 4 or5 days. After that, it became more manageable. I'd say it was a good month or so though before I was fully through to the other side though. Now, I don't want to go back. :)

Beachy

DiamondDeb 03-06-2013 04:41 PM

I experienced only good things. No negative side effects at all. But I had the same positive experience when cutting sugar & carbs. I felt better right away. That might be unusual.

E.W. 03-07-2013 04:40 PM

I have been off wheat a little over a week and though I haven't lost any weight I somehow feal better. I have a lot of hanging belly fat and fight a rash there and all of
a sudden it seems to have just cleared up .

marieze 03-07-2013 04:52 PM

I had cut out sugar completely a long time before cutting out all wheat and grains and experiences no withdrawls whatsoever, just much greater weight loss. One of the best things I ever did...no more congestion!

creseis 03-07-2013 05:13 PM

Yep. Like coming off of heroin! Seriously, I had bad diarrhea for a week, bad skin, angry/irritable, tired, etc. But now everything is fixed.

mysades 03-07-2013 06:48 PM

I did not have any withdrawl symptoms at all.

Jrw85705 03-07-2013 07:45 PM

The biggest thing I noticed was the absence of the after meal brain fog that I thought was normal. I was seriously more clear headed.

reddarin 03-07-2013 09:00 PM

I didn't notice any withdrawals at all when I quit but wheat caused so many bad things for me that maybe I just didn't notice any symptoms because the other stuff got so much better - headaches, heartburn, joint pain, etc.

clackley 03-08-2013 01:25 PM

Wheat went on day 1 with induction. It has not come back (now in my 4th year). At the time, I thought the absence of carbs in genera,l was the reason for the wonderful 'side effects' but it could have been the absence of wheat. I am not willing to do a reverse experiment.:)

SweetMe678 03-08-2013 04:32 PM

I went wheat free before low carb. I was pretty irritable and mild headache for about 2 days.