Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Move over Paleo -there's a new diet on the block: The Aztec Diet (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798830-move-over-paleo-theres-new-diet-block-aztec-diet.html)

Dottie 03-06-2013 07:42 AM

Move over Paleo -there's a new diet on the block: The Aztec Diet

I got a bit of a :laugh: out of that email header.
Here's the gist from the article (google for more) :

Quote:

What is the Aztec Diet?

According to the book, that starts with heavily incorporating chia seeds into your diet. The book also goes into a carbohydrate ranking system for those to choose and avoid as well as cutting out food items such as fried foods and pizza. In addition, the book endorses regular exercise.

There are three phases to the Aztec Diet:

Phase I: The Chia Challenge. You have three chia-rich smoothies for your meals.
Phase II: Accelerate with Lunch. You substitute the mid-day smoothie with a balanced meal of food.
Phase III: Real Life Aztec Style. This phase teaches you to maintain your weight loss with foods and recipes utilizing chia seed. (There are 100 recipes in the book).

Should You Try It?

That chia seeds pack in a strong nutrition punch is not even a question. Chia is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, and just 2 tablespoons contains 10 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, 18% of recommended calcium needs, and 12% of your iron needs for the day. Itís true, adding chia to your diet can not only help you get these nutrients for health but can help you feel fuller, longer, facilitating weight loss. Many food naturally rich in fiber will help minimize blood sugar spikes and reduce cravings. Studies on whether or not chia seeds have more of an impact that other nutritious foods on your health and satiation levels have been mixed. Also, chia is not a magic food that causes weight loss on its own without additional diet or lifestyle changes as this study indicates.

In case you were wondering, Dr. Arnot has authored 14 books on health and nutrition, is a TV Emmy-award winning medical correspondent and, of note, the Chief Wellness Expert for Lifemax, a company that distributes chia seeds.
(snipped for length)

Chia is healthy, but I'm not so sure the Aztecs had smoothies 3 meals a day ;)

Mimosa23 03-06-2013 07:47 AM

:lol:

As tempting as it sounds, I think sticking with LC and eating chia seeds within your daily allowance is a healthy addition.

Seems like it's the new magic food....

I mean Acai berries and Goji berries are so last year!!!! :hyst:

Chocolate Rose 03-06-2013 08:51 AM

Aztec diet...hmmmm....that means chocolate, right?

Dottie 03-06-2013 08:53 AM

Hot chocolate with chia, cinnamon and chili powder? (which doesn't sound too bad!)

Mimosa23 03-06-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16298982)
Hot chocolate with chia, cinnamon and chili powder? (which doesn't sound too bad!)

THAT is definitely something I could do, LOL! Unfortunately, I have control issues when it comes to chocolate.... :cry:

shaunbeatscarbs 03-06-2013 11:07 AM

2 words: colon blow. excuuse the crass-ness :hyst:

rubidoux 03-06-2013 11:17 AM

I could never do this. I eat about 3 g of fiber a week currently and I wouldn't want to go any higher. Too bad though, since they have a good omega 3 count.

Strawberry 03-06-2013 01:19 PM

The Aztecs ate chia 3x a day???

Wow.... things I never learned in school...

Ntombi 03-06-2013 02:05 PM

The things people think of. :rolleyes:

creseis 03-06-2013 03:13 PM

I wrote a report on Aztec religious ceremonies and food culture when I was a history major in college. Nobody loved chocolate like the Aztecs loved chocolate, and in my book, this is good. I don't remember anything about chia seeds, but I do remember something about mild hallucinogens and mood enhancers, what's wrong with a little pot?

Erin57 03-06-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaunbeatscarbs (Post 16299316)
2 words: colon blow. excuuse the crass-ness :hyst:

That was my first thought. I have to use Chia very sparingly.

dianda 03-06-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creseis (Post 16299857)
what's wrong with a little pot?

the munchies! :laugh:

Mistizoom 03-06-2013 05:33 PM

Ok, tonight I'm gonna try the Chia that has been sitting in my cupboard for a month! :)

DiamondDeb 03-06-2013 05:47 PM

Just reading about it makes my head itch! :eek: :laugh:

mojocat 03-06-2013 05:49 PM

Hey I'm a sucker for something new. :D I will stay with JUDDD but I've never tried Chia seeds so I will see if I can incorporate them - as long as they aren't addictive like nuts. I used to lean on Paleo/LC and I loved my meat, but can't eat meat anymore with JUDDD, it's very odd how my taste in food has done a complete turnaround, but def will try the chia seeds. Thanks for the info.

Mimosa23 03-06-2013 11:59 PM

This diet is ridiculous. I am sure they are hoping they'll make a lot of money out of the sale of their brand of chia seeds. They probably will. There's a fool born every day.

Chia seeds are used sparingly in my household, maybe a TB on yogurt or in sauces. I couldn't imagine eating it three times a day! :eek:

Dottie 03-07-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianda (Post 16299950)
the munchies! :laugh:

Hence the chocolate? :laugh:

Mistizoom 03-07-2013 08:50 AM

Well, I had a tablespoon of chia seeds in some cottage cheese last night. No colon blow yet. I was kinda hoping I would have one. Maybe I need more? :D

Dottie 03-07-2013 09:19 AM

I read another review of it with this paragraph:
Quote:

In addition to a clearly-defined daily eating plan that spans two weeks and includes breakfast, lunch and dinner; the book also boasts nearly 100 Aztec-friendly recipes designed by chef Charlotte Hardwick. These recipes include homemade almond milk, turkey burgers, mashed celery root, and flourless almond muffins.
So yeah, sounds like low-carb recipes.
I wonder if the chef is related to Chris Hardwick, host of the Talking Dead? 'cause zombie apocalypse Aztec recipes would be awesome!

I love to read the comments at the bottoms of some of these, very funny:
"I once had a Chia pet, never thought of eating it though."
:laugh:

Jennifer Eloff 03-07-2013 09:24 AM

LOL That is too much! One cannot keep up! :hyst:

flappa1016 03-07-2013 09:30 AM

I found an Atkins recipe on youtube for low carb chocolate chia pudding. It's awesome! If you google using those keywords, it should be the first hit. It's part of a series of low carb recipes that are uploaded by bowulf.

mimivac 03-07-2013 09:34 AM

Wow, I doubt I would be able to get through phase 1. Don't like smoothies and certainly couldn't have them 3 times a day as a meal substitute.

fiddlejen 03-07-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creseis (Post 16299857)
I wrote a report on Aztec religious ceremonies and food culture when I was a history major in college. Nobody loved chocolate like the Aztecs loved chocolate, and in my book, this is good. I don't remember anything about chia seeds, but I do remember something about mild hallucinogens and mood enhancers, what's wrong with a little pot?

I read this wrong, I thought you said "what's wrong with a little pet?"
:chiapet:
:rofl:

mews 03-07-2013 07:04 PM

:sick:[quote=mimivac;16301401]Wow, I doubt I would be able to get through phase 1. Don't like smoothies and certainly couldn't have them 3 times a day as a meal substitute.[/quote

I have the chocolate chia pudding in the refrigerator and take a spoon or 2 once in a while sure helps me to keep from eating something I shouldn't

MaryMary 03-07-2013 08:24 PM

Chia seeds come from the mexican sage plant. They are a natural thickener. You don't need a lot. Celery seeds come from the celery plant. Chia comes from sage. My DD likes them in smoothies.

mttemple4 03-07-2013 08:37 PM

I was really hoping you were going to say this was a tortilla chip diet. :hyst: