Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   what the heck is going on? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798826-what-heck-going.html)

ktgrok 03-06-2013 06:18 AM

what the heck is going on?

So, I've been low carbing for several weeks. This is after doing weight watchers for a few months. I lost 2lbs the first week LC. Up a pound the next week. Down .3 lbs the next week, and now I'm up again. I'm weighing daily and averaging, to get a true picture of my weight, rather than the ups and downs. So when I say I'm up, I'm up on average. I THINK I've lost inches...2 around my waist in specific, but I'm not sure because I can never figure out where on my waist I put the measuring tape the time before, lol. My pants have elastic waists, so can't tell there. I THINK I look smaller..but could be totally wishful thinking. My flab and love handles seem smaller, but could be that my underlying fat is bigger, making the rest seem smaller. I just can't tell!

To make all of this more complicated I'm nursing a 5 month old (and nursing his big sister twice a day as well). So I can't just do induction and trust the process, etc etc. I have to eat a higher carb level supposedly. But no one knows WHAT that level is, lol. So I'm kind of lost. Right now I'm averaging about 50 net carbs, depending on the day. Before that was a bit lower, like 30-40. But the ATkins people say more than 50. But I'm not losing. So confusing!

And no, I can't wait to lose weight until I wean, as i nurse my children for several years each, and my health is important too. Sigh.

Oh, and on top of it all I have a head cold right now. Nothing like the scale going up while you can't breathe.

pentimenti 03-06-2013 06:28 AM

Could be the snot. I'd forego weighing until you've cleared up.

avid 03-06-2013 06:32 AM

Man, you sure know how to multi task ...LOL:sing:

muncheechee 03-06-2013 07:17 AM

You should be able to go lower on your carbs as long as it doesn't affect your milk supply. Try working yourself down slowly and see how it goes. So if you are now eating 50g try reducing by 5g per week until you get to a place where you are losing 1-2 pounds a week AND your supply is still good. Personally, I don't believe ketosis is at all harmful while pregnant and breastfeeding.... Inuit women have done it forever.

ktgrok 03-06-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muncheechee (Post 16298864)
You should be able to go lower on your carbs as long as it doesn't affect your milk supply. Try working yourself down slowly and see how it goes. So if you are now eating 50g try reducing by 5g per week until you get to a place where you are losing 1-2 pounds a week AND your supply is still good. Personally, I don't believe ketosis is at all harmful while pregnant and breastfeeding.... Inuit women have done it forever.

huh...that actually makes sense, lol. I guess I'm bad at the gradually figure it out idea....patience isn't my strong point, lol.

creseis 03-06-2013 02:18 PM

Actually there is a correlation between too many carbs during nursing and much greater risk for developing type 2 diabetes and childhood diabetes and bone development issues, especially facial bones and there is a direct link between developing abnormal teeth and consuming too many carbs during breat feeding. I wouldn't fear ketosis. I would fear the carbs. Back in the day when all humans ate was saturated fat and a few berries and veggies during the growing season... and there were no cars or ipods or smoke stacks... (sorry, just went to a consortium on all the evils of the world)

dianda 03-06-2013 02:37 PM

Are you counting your calories?